Wednesday, 15 February 2017

The Book of Dust

I have been trying to write this post all day. I don't know how to express my feelings. THE BOOK OF DUST. AFTER ALL THIS TIME. I had given up hope. I honestly thought we were never getting it, and even if we were, I thought it would be an encyclopaedia or something, with a few short stories. NOT A WHOLE NEW COMPANION TRILOGY.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, yesterday (or technically, midnight today, but I saw it before I went to sleep), it was announced that Philip Pullman, author of the His Dark Materials trilogy, would be releasing a new companion trilogy about Lyra. In October. Of THIS YEAR. I direct you to this article for more information.

WAS ANYONE EXPECTING THIS?! The few people who knew must have had so much trouble keeping their mouths shut - I know I would have been singing from the rooftops. 13/14 year old Liz ADORED the His Dark Materials trilogy. There are some books that just change you as a person, and this series did that for me. I think I cried for like, a whole day after finishing The Amber Spyglass. I vividly remember my young teen self writing in my diary about it (those were the days).

I was so shocked when I heard this news that originally, I didn't believe it. Then when all the newspapers started releasing their articles, it finally hit me that after all these years of waiting, The Book of Dust was actually a thing. A thing that we could read. About LYRA. And some new characters - but LYRA.

The first book in the trilogy (the one releasing in October) is set ten years before Northern Lights. I have to admit, I am not super enthused about this (I want to read about adult Lyra so much, but we don't get to see her 'til book two), but I am putting my trust in Philip Pullman. More info on the books here.

So essentially, this rambling wreck of a post is just me saying I'm really, really excited for this new trilogy. But also terrified, because what if these new books ruin everything? What if my childhood is destroyed? I'm scared. I do not want this to be Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. In any case, I sense a reread of the original trilogy coming on (though I really don't want to cry for ten hours again after The Amber Spyglass...)

Will and Lyra forever.


(I wonder what the real cover will look like?)

5 comments:

  1. Very exciting! I Haven't read His Dark Materials but I know how popular they are and to have more books coming out??? That's awesome. I hope they're great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading the entire His Dark Materials trilogy like a year before the movie came out for The Golden Compass, and I pretty much didn't leave my bed during those days. I just kept reading and reading and ignoring everyone else, and when it was all over, I was shocked and crying because Lyra! Will! WHY?!?! It was so heartbreaking and bittersweet. I loved the books so much. But I haven't read the series since then, so I think a re-read is in order so I'm ready for The Book of Dust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never read anything by the author but this is very exciting news for people that were huge fans! While I LOVED Cursed Child, I don't think you'll have to worry about this new book since it's not in a play format.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I heard the news I didn't believe it either. I'm so excited - although a little disappointed we won't see grown up Lyra until book 2 :( But I loved the Dark Materials trilogy so much as a child, and even more when I re-read it again in my early twenties - suddenly so many more things made sense lol. Although lets hope they don't try to do another movie tie in... wasn't so impressed with that version!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes yes, I have all these thoughts as well. EXCITEMENT and also nervousness in the event that it ruins the original... but mostly excitement because I trust Philip Pullman to do a good job (and he'll be actually writing it all himself, unlike Cursed Child). I WANT TO SEE WILL AGAIN TOO. I remember being shell shocked after finishing The Amber Spyglass, and then crying lots too... Beautiful series as is, but I really would like to see them get together again after all this time...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)