I've been thinking about doing this post for a while, because I'm a big Disney fan and I felt like doing something non-bookish. So today, I'm going to share my top five favourite Disney films with you - enjoy!
My Top Five Favourite Disney Films (in Order):
1) Mulan - I love this film so, so much. It is my absolute, all time favourite Disney film. I love everything about it - the animation, the songs (who in this world does NOT like "I'll Make a Man Out of You"? Or "Reflection"?), the characters (Mulan is my favourite, but you know who else is amazing? The grandmother - "sign me up for the next war!"), the message it gives, the amazing quotes ("no matter how the wind howls, the mountain cannot bow to it") - everything. And I think I identified a lot with it when I was younger, because I didn't always fit in, and it helped me understand that it's okay to be yourself. Mulan tries to be a lot of different people in the film - the perfect bride, the excellent soldier - but it's when she's being herself that she manages to save all of China. You don't meet a girl like that every dynasty!
2) Tangled - oh Flynn Rider, you glorious animated fictional character, you. One reason I love Tangled so much is because of Flynn Rider, and the "hot man meeting" that led to his creation. As well as that, Tangled is generally just a great film with more excellent songs and the MOST adorable romance (it's just so cute, I never get bored watching it). One of the most impressive things about Tangled, however, is Mother Gothel. She is one of my favourite villains, and "Mother Knows Best Reprise" is one of the best Disney villain songs ever. Also, let's not forget Rapunzel, and her excellent skills in using her hair for unconventional things - she is strong as hell to carry 70 feet of hair with her everywhere she goes, let alone throw it around and use it as a rope pulley and swing vine and all sorts of other crazy things! Not to mention her handiness with a frying pan.
3) Aladdin - I love Aladdin so much, I quoted it in my Company Law exam. Sadly, that was the exam I did worst in - I don't think my professor appreciated me throwing in the quote "all this for a loaf of bread?" in an essay about derivative claims. I have no regrets though, because I adore this film. The genie...he's my favourite character. Robin Williams was perfect in the role, and I'll always be a little bit sad now when I watch this film and know that he's gone. The genie is awesome and hilarious and a true friend. And Princess Jasmine! She is such an amazing Disney Princess. She stands up to Jafar, she refuses to be treated as a prize to be won. She convinces her father to change the law about marriage! Of course, there's Aladdin too - how could you not love him? He's the epitome of the loveable underdog you can't help but root for. And his friendship with the genie - I'm getting emotional now. And once again - the songs. Aladdin has some of the best songs around. "A Whole New World", "Prince Ali"...and one of my favourite lyrics from the film: "gotta eat to live, gotta steal to eat, otherwise we'd get along" (and also "these guys don't appreciate I'm broke" :P).
4) The Lion King - if you tell me that as a child, you did not cry when Mufasa died, then I don't even know what to say to you. It's so sad, I still almost cry now and I am a grown adult who has seen this film countless times. I know exactly what is going to happen, and STILL I can't bear to watch the part where Simba finds his dad's body and...ah! It's too much. And Scar. Such a great villain. You really love to hate him. And once again, fabulous songs. I always sing along, especially to "I Just Can't Wait to Be King" because it is SO catchy, and reminds me of my childhood.
5) Hercules - this film is so funny. The jokes are amazing, my favourite is the one about Narcissus, it literally cracks me up every single time. Plus, Meg is awesome: "I'm a damsel, I'm in distress, I can handle this." And her song "I Won't Say (I'm in Love)" is brilliant! I still know all the words and it gets stuck in my head so often (embarrassingly often, and I want to sing it aloud so much, but it's not really the type of song you can just burst into in public, is it). To be honest, all the songs are brilliant (from zero to hero!) and I just love it so much. Okay, yes, the Greek mythology isn't entirely accurate (coughnotaccurateatallcough) but I can look past that and enjoy it for what it is; a hilarious and fun film!
Notable mentions: The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, The Emperor's New Groove (and does Toy Story count? Because that too).
There are of course many, many other Disney films that I love but these are my absolute favourites. Let me know your favourite Disney films and why you love them so much! I'd also be interested to hear people's least favourite ones (I don't really like Snow White or Peter Pan).