Wednesday, 25 February 2015

Waiting on Wednesday #65


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness
Released: August 27th 2015
Find it on Goodreads

What if you weren’t the Chosen One?

What if you’re not the one who’s so often the hero in YA fiction; who’s supposed to fight the zombies, or the soul-eating ghosts, or whatever this new thing is, with the blue lights and the death? What if you were like Mikey? Who just wants to graduate and go to prom and maybe finally work up the courage to ask Henna out before someone goes and blows up the high school. Again. Because sometimes there are problems bigger than this week’s end of the world and sometimes you just have to find the extraordinary in your ordinary life. Even if your best friend might just be the God of mountain lions...
(from Goodreads)

I have never read a Patrick Ness book before (I know, I know, I'm terrible, I'm a disgrace to YA, blah blah) but I really love the sound of this book. I think it's something most people can relate to. I do love to read and escape the world, I do love going on adventures with superheroes, but in reality, I am never going to save the world the way characters in YA books do. Most of us won't. So the fact that this book is about that, about a character who is basically us, the regular person, caught up in the end of the world, just trying to get by in life, is something that really appeals to me. I'm interested to see how everything plays out and where this book leads.

What are you waiting on this week?

6 comments:

  1. the cover for the book looks interesting and I can totally relate to the hero.
    My Waiting on Wednesday
    new follower via bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the blurb and the kind of story it's describing. It makes me think of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in a way, because they have to sit alongside the "real" heroes and get it done. I'm a fan of a sidekick story, or the "regular" person in a world of heroes story, and this has the potential to be really cool. Great pick, and thanks for sharing!!

    Here's My WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read a book by this author. I hope you like it!
    My WoW: http://onceuntold.blogspot.com/2015/02/waiting-on-wednesday-3-manwhore.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choice! I can't wait for this one either because I LOVE Patrick Ness's books and his writing style.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been seeing this book around the blogosphere for a while now and I think this book sounds awesome. THAT SYNOPSIS IS CLEARLY FUN. I haven't read any books from Patrick Ness but I am really looking forward to read this! Great pick. :D

    Kyla @ Carmel & Kyla
    I recently posted... Waiting on Wednesday #19: Blackbird Fly by Erin Entrada Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a great book and I love a good "finding the extraordinary in the ordinary" story! I haven't read Patrick Ness book yet either---we can be disgraces together! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)