Wednesday, 6 August 2014

Review: Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas

Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass #3) by Sarah J. Maas
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Released: September 2nd 2014
My Rating: 4.75 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

Lost and broken, Celaena Sardothien’s only thought is to avenge the savage death of her dearest friend: as the King of Adarlan’s Assassin, she is bound to serve this tyrant, but he will pay for what he did. Any hope Celaena has of destroying the king lies in answers to be found in Wendlyn. Sacrificing his future, Chaol, the Captain of the King’s Guard, has sent Celaena there to protect her, but her darkest demons lay in that same place. If she can overcome them, she will be Adarlan’s biggest threat – and his own toughest enemy.

While Celaena learns of her true destiny, and the eyes of Erilea are on Wendlyn, a brutal and beastly force is preparing to take to the skies. Will Celaena find the strength not only to win her own battles, but to fight a war that could pit her loyalties to her own people against those she has grown to love?
(from Goodreads)

Wow. Just...wow. So many things happened in this book. It took a completely different direction to anything I expected. It may be my favourite in the series yet.

I honestly don't even know where to begin. With Celaena? She was not the same person she was in book one, and she was still changing even more throughout the course of Heir of Fire. She was more broken, and less arrogant, though she still had a fierce spark in her that said she was not to be trifled with. She was a little lost and it took her most of the book to realise what it was that she really wanted. She had been through so much. So much. We got to find out more of her past and I honestly don't know how she managed to survive after everything that happened. But she did, and forced herself to become stronger, and in this book she was becoming stronger still. She was training to control her magic, to control her Fae form, so she could finally get some answers from her aunt Maeve. But she was so broken and empty by what happened to Nehemiah and all she wanted was one person to trust, one person she could call a friend. And boy, did she find one.

Chaol...we had a good run. But I am officially renouncing my Team Chaol membership. Trust me, I'm as shocked as you are. Don't get me wrong, I still liked him, still loved how he was basically ruining his life to try and protect Celaena and Dorian (even if he was having a hard time accepting them), still think the romance in book one/two was great. But he is no longer the guy I'm rooting for. I did enjoy most of his chapters though, and the strange bond he'd built up with Aedion. He was loyal and true to his word, that can be said, and I am looking forward to seeing what happens with him in the next book.

Rowan. Rowan, Rowan, Rowan. What can I say? I didn't expect to like a new character so much. But he has stolen Chaol's title and I am now firmly Team Rowan, even though I have no clue what's going to happen (seriously though, Sarah J Maas, if you make me switch teams again in the next book, I am going to look so fickle). He was just exactly the friend Celaena needed. The person she could trust, the person who had suffered as she had, who accepted her for who she was. I mean, they started off kiiiind of hating each other. But once they got to know more about one another, a true and real friendship was formed (no matter how much Rowan tried to deny it at first). They trained together, hunted together, had each other's backs, and told each other things they didn't trust to tell anyone else. I loved it. I also hated it because I wanted them to get together so badly. Celaena kept saying stuff like "there was nothing romantic about the way..." and there was me, wishing there WERE something romantic, and damn their stupid, glorious friendship. But after that ending (mini spoiler, highlight to read: I don't like blood oaths), you can't tell me nothing more will happen. You can't. I deny it. And it will be awesome, because they will have built up trust and friendship first. THE ROMANCE WILL HAPPEN AND THESE TWO WILL BE HAPPY FOR ONCE AND NO-ONE CAN CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE.

Dorian. Poor, poor Dorian. Will he recover from this? I don't know. Will he and Chaol ever be friends again? I don't know that either. I hope so. He wasn't in this book much but I am predicting he will have a larger role in book four and I have no idea what to expect but I just hope he's okay.

The other new characters were all pretty interesting too. Aedion really grew on me. His loyalty was a bit crazy but he had a good heart and was willing to make sacrifices. Emrys and Luca were two other characters I really liked because they tried their best to help Celaena even when she was taking her anger out on them. Sorscha had me torn because she was lovely and I'm glad she was someone (the ONLY one) Dorian could talk to (though he should have tried to fix his relationship with Chaol) but I really found it hard to believe she could love someone she had never spoken to. Manon was a very intriguing character too, and reading about her bond with Abraxas was my favourite part of her chapters. I do admit I found the rest of her chapters were kind of boring and I skimmed an awful lot of them. She just didn't seem as relevant to the plot (yet) and I was more interested in what was happening to everyone else. I'm probably in the minority though as everyone else seemed to love her. I did think she was very different to any of the characters we'd seen so far, and maybe I'll enjoy her chapters more in the next book, when more is explained.

Plot-wise, you're just going to have to read the book, because if I even hint at half the things that happen, it will ruin it. Some stuff is predictable, but even so, the writing... That ending. I mean, not as cliffhangery as book two, but somehow I am still desperate for book 4 and I need it NOW.

Overally, great addition to the series. I'm thinking the best so far. Read it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is so exciting that you have such high praise for this one!! I actually still need to read Crown of Midnight, but I very much encouraged by the fact that each book seems to get better and better and there are so many developments with the characters!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)