Tuesday, 17 June 2014

Review: Midnight Thief by Livia Blackburne

Midnight Thief (Midnight Thief #1) by Livia Blackburne
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Released: July 8th 2014
My Rating: 4 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

Growing up on Forge’s streets has taught Kyra how to stretch a coin. And when that’s not enough, her uncanny ability to scale walls and bypass guards helps her take what she needs.

But when the leader of the Assassins Guild offers Kyra a lucrative job, she hesitates. She knows how to get by on her own, and she’s not sure she wants to play by his rules. But he’s persistent—and darkly attractive—and Kyra can’t quite resist his pull.

Tristam of Brancel is a young Palace knight on a mission. After his best friend is brutally murdered by Demon Riders, a clan of vicious warriors who ride bloodthirsty wildcats, Tristam vows to take them down. But as his investigation deepens, he finds his efforts thwarted by a talented thief, one who sneaks past Palace defenses with uncanny ease.

When a fateful raid throws Kyra and Tristam together, the two enemies realize that their best chance at survival—and vengeance—might be to join forces. And as their loyalties are tested to the breaking point, they learn a startling secret about Kyra’s past that threatens to reshape both their lives.
(from Goodreads)

Midnight Thief was a very satisfying YA fantasy and one that's definitely worth the read. I think Livia Blackburne created a very interesting world along with some engaging characters and she managed to keep me entertained throughout.

Kyra, the main character, was a thief. She was very graceful and was excellent at climbing and getting into places without being seen; no-one else was as good as she was. When she was approached by the Assassins Guild, she had her reservations, but she needed the money and it didn't seem like such a bad deal - she was promised she'd never have to kill anyone, and would only serve as the Guild's thief. I could understand what motivated her to join, even if it wasn't the best decision in the word. She wanted to protect Idalee and Lettie, children from the streets that she really cared about. Lettie was sick and the money Kyra made from normal raids with her closest friend, Flick, wasn't enough to help her.  I do think she was a bit naive though; I mean, she was joining an Assassins Guild and she really thought she'd be doing nothing but moral work? When everything started to go wrong, it was interesting to see Kyra's fears, one of the biggest being that she would go down a path she couldn't return from. She was afraid of losing the people she loved as well - I think her relationship with Flick and the others was done well; there was an obvious familial bond between them and you could tell how much she cared for everyone and how loyal they all were to each other.

James, the Guild's leader, was an intriguing character. He had a lot of influence over Kyra at the start, and while I thought he was creepy from the outset, he wasn't JUST creepy. His character had a surprising amount of depth, and while I disliked him, he was interesting to read about. I'm sure he'll turn up again in the next book, and I'd be up for finding out more about him. I just want to know what in his past made him so ruthless.

Tristam was a character that had to grow on me. He was a bit clueless at first and just wanted revenge for his friend's death, and while he wasn't as bad as the other nobles, he was still judgmental. But as he got to know Kyra he seemed to become more accepting and I liked him more. The romance(?) between Kyra and Tristam was nothing spectacular, but they had their moments and both risked a lot for each other (and I'm just happy no grand declarations of love were thrown around because it would have been way too early), and I am interested in seeing where it will go, especially after the ending.

Plot-wise, I really liked how nothing was what Kyra expected, and that helped her grow as a character. There were a fair amount of twists as well (though some things were obvious, like that [spoiler, highlight to read] the Guild were in league with the Demon Riders [end of spoiler]) and it was the type of book that had enough going on that your interest never waned. I do think that certain things were a bit odd; I really don't think the Council in this particular land would be so accommodating of a prisoner, nor would they trust one so much. Certain things seemed a bit too convenient at times too but all in all, I didn't have many problems.

Overall, I enjoyed Midnight Thief and recommend it to fantasy fans. I expect I'll be picking up the next book in the series, and I'm looking forward to finding out what happens next.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Liz! This sounds great. I think I'm on a fantasy-roll right now so I'm putting this on my wishlist and hoping to get my hands on a copy. I loved the sound of the MC and the plot. Glad you enjoyed it!

    Precious @ Fragments of Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really fun and twisty, and I actually like when some characters have to grow on you rather than being perfect and lovable from the get-go! Glad to hear you enjoyed this one overall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the twists in this one too. The plot kept me interested for sure. But I agree that the romance was a bit on the bland side... I wasn't in LOVE with this one, but I am also curious to see where the story goes next in the sequel.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)