Monday, 16 June 2014

Review: The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

The Distance Between Us by Kasie West
Publisher: HarperTeen
Released: July 2nd 2013
My Rating: 4 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.

She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.
 (from Goodreads)

The Distance Between Us was a really cute contemp read and was just what I needed after a stressful term of studying and horrible exams. It would definitely make a great summer read and I'm really looking forward to Kasie West's new book, On the Fence.

I really liked Caymen. She was a character I could relate to and she had a sort of dry sense of humour and was always making witty sarcastic remarks which were hilarious. She made me smile a lot and the best part was that she was a believable character. I could understand why she was hiding things from her mother, I could understand how she was scared that they would lose the shop and have nowhere to live, and I could understand that she wasn't sure whether or not she could fully trust Xander (though the TPing incident was a bit weird). Her relationship with her mum was very interesting and I was glad this was actually focussed on quite a bit; it wasn't just about the romance! (Though the romance was awesome too.)

I liked Xander a lot as well. He was rich, and he never denied that, but he wasn't judgmental or arrogant like Caymen thought he'd be, and he was good at listening to her problems and knowing how to make her feel comfortable. I also thought it was so cute that he loved Caymen's sense of humour and played along with her, and some of their conversations were just so funny! The career days were a nice idea too and made for some really lovely scene between the two. Xander and Caymen both had family issues and felt out of place in each other's different environments but by the end it seemed to matter less and I was happy with the way everything worked out. My only gripe was that he made the "You're not like other girls I've met" comment, which annoyed me, but at least he added the "I've met" part I guess.

Skye was Caymen's best friend, and while she wasn't as fleshed out as she could have been, I really liked her and thought she was a really good friend to Caymen. Her boyfriend Henry was an odd guy and made me laugh but the two of them worked well together and I was always pleased to read about them whenever they turned up.

Plot-wise, I really didn't see the end coming. I was so taken in by the cuteness of everything that I didn't pick up on the clues! I should have paid closer attention - if I had, I don't think I would have been as surprised, so I'm sure a lot of people found this book a bit more predictable than I did. I think the very end was a bit rushed; I would have liked to have seen what happened next and just spent a bit more time with all the characters. But it's not really a huge problem when my only complaint is that I wanted more. Oh, and that the book left me with a craving for hot chocolate!

Overall, I really enjoyed The Distance Between Us - a lot more than I thought I would! Kasie West took a familiar idea and made it her own, and it wasn't horrendously cheesy or cliché like I half-expected it to be. I highly recommend this book, especially if you like contemps. It's a very cute and fun read, perfect for taking your mind off things, or for relaxing with if you've had a hard day (or month in my case :P).

2 comments:

  1. I agree that by the end of the book I wanted more as well. The ending did wrap up a little fast and it would have been nice to see more of them actually together instead of just falling for one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard lots of good things about this one. Sounds like a very cute summer read!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)