Monday, 28 April 2014

Review: Flame by Amy Kathleen Ryan

20569357Flame (Sky Chasers #3) by Amy Kathleen Ryan
Publisher: Macmillan
Released: January 16th 2014
My Rating: 3.75 stars out of 5
Find it in Goodreads

Waverly and the other members of the Empyrean have been scattered, and their home ship destroyed. The mission to rescue their parents didn't go quite as planned, and now they're at an even greater disadvantage: trapped with their enemies on the New Horizon, trying to find a way to survive. Will Seth's health hold out long enough to help Waverly topple their enemy? And will Waverly find a way to unite her friends before the final battle? Nothing is certain and every second is a risk in this explosive finale. (from Goodreads)

Flame was a satisfying end to the Sky Chasers trilogy, but there were a few things that I thought could have been better, or explained more. As a whole though, I really enjoyed this trilogy, and I'm looking forward to reading more from Amy Kathleen Ryan.

Waverly remained one of my favourite characters of the series. In each book we got to see different sides of her: book one was her more innocent and naive side, book two was where we saw a darker side of Waverly, and in book three we got to see a more unsure, desperate side of her - she was willing to do whatever it took to take Anne Mather down. While she was as resourceful and determined as ever, she was also doubting herself a lot more, and found herself willing to do things she never would have done previously. Waverly grew so much throughout the series and in this book especially she had to struggle through before she realised what it was she really wanted. I did find the whole thing with Jared really creepy though - he was like, 40! Old enough to be her dad. I was suspicious of him from the start and ugh. Did not like that guy one bit. He was so taking advantage of Waverly's hesitance and uncertainty. Gross.

Kieran. Well, what can I say. I'll never like the guy, but at least in this book he realised what a deluded lying moron he had been previously. He was still a total idiot who could not work out the most obvious things, but I guess I didn't hate him quite as much as I did in book two. I think he got over a lot of things way too easily and the ending he got was just too much fluff, but whatever. I didn't really care that much about his character.

Seth had a few of his own revelations and realised he had made a few bad choices in the past too, and he tried to atone for them. I knew from the start that he wouldn't get away scot-free, but I'm happy with the way things turned out - it could have been worse. He didn't get to have a lot of interaction with Waverly in this book, which was a shame, but he got to meet a lot of other people on the New Horizon, and it was nice to see that not everyone on that ship was a brainwashed follower of Anne Mather.

Plot-wise, there wasn't really as much action-y stuff going on in this book, but it still held my interest. Some things were predictable, like about Jared and the doctor, who were just clearly suspicious from the start, but I did not see the end coming at all. I liked the ending as a whole, the way the problems between the two ships were sorted out, but I feel like some things were left unexplained, especially to do with Captain Jones (and I REALLY wanted to find out what happened), and I also thought (spoiler, highlight to read) the fact the Empyrean found a new habitable planet only nine years away was a bit of a cop out. How lucky was that? The fact that Waverly had kids that young as well was a little strange - I would have thought after having her eggs harvested she would have been a bit more reluctant and would have waited a bit longer to be ready. And the amount of kids Kieran had in that short period of time - ugh. Seriously. It was so cheesy I kind of wanted to throw up - but that's Kieran for you) (end of spoiler).

Overall, Flame was a good conclusion, and I definitely recommend this series to sci-fi fans, especially to those starting out in the genre who are looking for something not too complicated, but with an interesting storyline and darker themes.

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear it ends well. I might have to check out this series.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)