Monday, 4 November 2013

Review: Resist by Sarah Crossan

Resist (Breathe #2)Resist (Breathe #2) by Sarah Crossan
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Released: October 10th 2013
My Rating: 3.25 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

Resistance to the Pod Leadership has come apart. The Grove has been destroyed but so has the Pod Minister. Quinn, Bea and Alina separately must embark on a perilous journey across the planet's dead landscape in search of the rumoured resistance base Sequoia. Meanwhile the Pod Minister has been succeeded by his capricious daughter. Her brother, Ronan, is supposed to advise her, but his doubts about the regime lead to him being sent out of the Pod in search of Quinn. In a world in which the human race is adapting to survive with little air, the stakes are high. (from Goodreads)

Resist was action-packed and full of twists, but unfortunately  I didn't enjoy it as much as Breathe. Still, the series is worth reading and pretty different from other dystopian books, so I would still say give it a go.

The characters stayed separated for a while in this book (though did eventually meet up) - Jazz was seriously injured so Quinn had to leave Bea to try and get help. Alina was with Silas and what was left of the Resistance, trying to get to Sequoia, the only place left for them, and there was also the introduction of a new character, Ronan, who got his own chapters along with Alina, Bea and Quinn. Though I did like Ronan, I felt like addition of his POV was a bit too much and wasn't really that integral to the story. It made four POVs in an already fairly confusing story, and I felt like each character had less time for development as a result - especially Alina, which was a shame, as she was one of my favourite characters. I did like Bea but we did spend quite a lot of time on her, and Quinn was just...eh. I mean, he was okay. I didn't like him that much in the first book either but I felt his character just stayed stagnant despite the fact he got quite a lot of chapters.

The story took quite a few interesting turns, and the arrival of a certain character surprised, though I had been wondering if they would show up at some point. What was going on in Sequoia was really creepy, and I did not expect things to turn out the way they did. They weren't sympathetic with the Resistance and were just awful. The whole "pairing" ceremony and "breeding" was just sick, and what they did to older members of the community, like Maude and Bruce, was just horrific. I really liked Maude, she was one of the funniest characters in the book, so I really wanted her to get out of there alive. Ironically, it was with help from Ronan and Quinn's dad that not everyone got killed.

That being said, the ending. Why. Just why. I mean, what was the point? All these pages spent on something and this how things turned out. I understand that it was a dangerous place and there was fighting and conflict everywhere, but the ending felt so unnecessary to me and just didn't add anything to the story. It happened too quickly and the whole ending just felt rushed and unresolved. I was happy that Bea and Quinn got to be together because I think they deserved to after everything that happened, but ah. I just can't agree with the other stuff that happened. And so many things were left hanging - characters as well - I mean, what about Silas? How did he feel about what happened? We barely got to see any of the aftermath which I really wanted to read about as it would have least given us an idea of how everyone was feeling, and maybe some closure too.

Overall, I liked Resist and I enjoyed the series as whole, but I wasn't a huge fan of the ending. This always seems to happen to me - I never seem to be happy with the endings of last books in series, so don't let me put you off just because of that. Keep it in mind, but definitely still give this series a read if you like dystopia.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a case of second book slump, but unfortunately there's no third book to redeem itself with! Sorry the ending was disappointing for you, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a few people say that they didn't love this as much as Breathe which is sad because I loved that book! Why are all series endings so unsatisfying at the moment? It's actually putting me off the dystopian genre a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)