Thursday, 12 September 2013

Review: Goddess by Josephine Angelini

16146662Goddess (Starcrossed #3) by Josephine Angelini
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Books
Released: May 23rd 2013
My Rating: 3 stars out 5
Find it on Goodreads

She must rise, or they will fall... Helen's powers are increasing--and so is the distance between her and her mortal friends. To make matters worse, the Oracle reveals that a dangerous traitor is lurking among them, and all fingers point to Orion. Still unsure whether she loves him or Lucas, Helen is forced to make a terrifying decision, or risk all-out war. The final book in this heart-stopping trilogy. (from Goodreads)

*review contains mild spoilers*

Goddess was not my favourite book in the Starcrossed series.  I just felt like something was missing and certain things just seemed too convenient, like they were hurriedly rushed together just so there could be symbolic parallels to the past. However, it was still a decent ending to the series even with its flaws.

I found Goddess was a bit slow to start but once things started to get going, the pacing was a lot better. After touching the water of the river Lethe in Dreamless, Helen had started to regain the memories of her previous...er, incarnations, I guess? And she kept getting flashbacks of when she was Helen of Troy, or Guinevere from Arthurian legend. The flashbacks were okay, but I feel like there were a lot of them, and then Helen never told anyone what was happening in them anyway, so it was a bit weird. The fact that in every past she was always madly in love with Lucas/Paris/Lancelot as well just sort of made the whole attempted love triangle redundant. I liked Orion a lot when he was introduced in book two, but I didn’t want a love triangle because I just knew Helen would end up with Lucas. Orion was just thrown in for the sake of the plot to create drama and I was so done with the misunderstandings these three kept having. Like, the whole love triangle thing was solved so conveniently – Orion was like “you’ll always love Lucas more, woe is me!” and yet managed to get over Helen easily and find someone else almost immediately. Helen, who was supposed to be “torn” by these two guys, was of course perfectly fine with Orion, whom she apparently loved, moving on and finding someone else, and even encouraged it. Ugh. I mean, what was the point? It was there literally just for some temporary conflict. Helen was never really in conflict at all, she always liked Lucas more, was teary about Orion for like, a page before becoming besties with him (this happened right at the beginning, guys!). Undermined everything that happened in Dreamless. It was just so LUCAS could THINK that Orion and Helen were together for some dramatic stuff to happen. It was so unnecessary.

Speaking of Orion moving on, erm, Cassandra? Really? Am I the only one with a problem with this? I couldn’t even remember how old Cassandra was, I just remember it was younger than Orion/Helen/Lucas and weird. Did not like it at all, and the fact that everyone ended up with who they were with in the past and this whole endless cycle of fate was just too much. I mean, wasn’t the whole point of the series trying to CHANGE fate anyway? About making choices? Yet they all just fell in love with each other again! I get the whole “love that lasts forever” thing, but come on.

Hector was probably my favourite character in Goddess (and maybe the whole series), so any scene with him in it was the most enjoyable (though the relationship with Andy was so rushed, once again, for the sake of parallels to the past/love forever blah blah). He added humour to the book, and also action because he was Helen’s champion and fought on her behalf, because he was the best fighter (which he knew, and it was really funny when he was arguing with Orion and Lucas over it).

One thing I really didn’t understand was why Helen had to become fully immortal. When she thought she and Lucas were cousins and didn’t want to have children with him, I got it – she needed to become immortal so the Face could remain on Earth and so Aphrodite wouldn’t take away love. But when she realised she and Lucas weren’t cousins, why did she need to become fully immortal? She could have children if she wanted! Fair enough if she didn’t want children, but she never actually said that - it was implied that she did want children. She said it was to make it her fight, whatever the hell that meant. The need for her immortality was never really explained – she could have a daughter who would have the Face, so why did she still choose to become immortal?

Despite all these negatives I’ve been mentioning, Goddess was a pretty addictive read, and I did want to find out how everything ended. I really loved the Greek myth and the way Angelini interpreted things to fit the story (though there could have been a bit more explanation – especially on the whole worldbuilding power thing). I also liked that Helen and Lucas’s ending was kind of bittersweet, because Lucas would someday have to go to the Underworld, so their time together on Earth was limited (so thankful that Lucas brought Hector back with his trade, even if it was kind of ridiculous that barely anyone died – I don’t think I could have taken Hector being dead!). I thought it was an interesting twist as well to have Helen’s friends see her differently now that she was so powerful and having trouble controlling herself, because it showed that not everyone reacts well to change and was quite realistic.

Overall, I didn’t love Goddess, but it wasn’t a terrible ending to the series and had its good points. 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for review, it was excellent and very informative.
    thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I never read past the first book in this series, even though I loved it! The whole past-lives thing sounds a lot like what happens in the Fallen series (which I also loved) but I don't like the sounds of things being thrown in unnecessarily just to add a little more drama.

    Great review, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANKYOU! SOMEONE WHO FINALLY UNDERSTANDS WHAT I'M FEELING!
    Except for the fact that I FREAKING LOVED THE BOOK, and the ending not so much.
    Hector was definitely my favourite too, the best and how he instantly fell in love with a girl he just met definitely made me feel uneasy. Like come on, Hector is a warrior, he's not so easily manipulated. And just because of their history.. ugh, i hated how the author put everyone back together.
    AND ORION! The second favourite character of mine! He easily moved on from Helen for who? A little kid? omg that definitely stirred fire in me.

    Not very pleased with the ending, but that's just probably i'm biased. Whenever I have a favourite character, I don't like them ending up with anyone.. AT ALL. Plus, when Helen dies, Zeus would be freed no? And Ariadne, she was so close with everyone and she just had to be split apart at the end. Can't blame her though, but why torture the poor girl. Two loved ones at once? That's freaking death right there.

    I still reckon Hector would've been better off single at the end, then anyone could make up a girlfriend for him. Him kissing other people didn't feel right to me. But then again, that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I dreaded the end of the series, Ms. Angelina did a wonderful job wrapping up the trilogy. Highly Recommend reading.
    Discount Microsoft Software Download, visit website

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)