Saturday, 24 August 2013

Review: Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

15854146Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy #1) by Sarah Rees Brennan
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Released: September 13th 2012
My Rating: 4.75 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

Kami Glass is in love with someone she's never met - a boy the rest of the world is convinced is imaginary. This has made her an outsider in the sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale, but she doesn't complain. She runs the school newspaper and keeps to herself for the most part - until disturbing events begin to happen. There has been screaming in the woods and the dark, abandoned manor on the hill overlooking the town has lit up for the first time in 10 years. The Lynburn family, who ruled the town a generation ago and who all left without warning, have returned. As Kami starts to investigate for the paper, she finds out that the town she has loved all her life is hiding a multitude of secrets- and a murderer- and the key to it all just might be the boy in her head. The boy who everyone thought was imaginary may be real...and he may be dangerous. (from Goodreads)

I am emotionally ruined.

I can’t even. CAN’T EVEN. This book is like, my own personal torture device. I feel like Regina from Once Upon a Time has ripped my heart out and crushed it to dust. DUST. Honestly, when I finished this book and then read the snippets from Untold (book 2) I was on the verge of some kind of emotional breakdown/existential crisis. I cannot explain to you the emotions this book has made me feel. All I know is that Sarah Rees Brennan, while lovely, is also actually an evil mastermind. Because there is no other reason why someone would torture innocent people like this.

Kami was SUCH A FREAKING AMAZING PROTAG I LOVED HER SO MUCH OMG. She felt very real, for you know, someone who hears a voice inside her head. And she was a tad impetuous and slightly bossy, but I loved it. She was also damn hilarious, and I especially loved her conversations with her dad, who has got to be one of the funniest dads YA has ever seen. I’m totally tempted to start rocking a shapeless cardigan! I could understand her feelings about seeing Jared for the first time too and her apprehension about this connection between them. To be honest, anyone would be a little freaked out by the whole situation.

Jared, I just adored him. Well, for the most part. He was a bad boy with a twist because he was actually very caring and supportive of Kami, no matter what she decided to do. The way they talked to each other in their heads...I laughed out loud so much. Especially at the “personal trainer” scene but mostly when he was just chatting with Kami. Because Kami would be trying to have a normal conversation when Jared would suddenly silently tell her something hilarious and she would burst out laughing, for no apparent reason to a normal person. The results of this were always funny and I really loved how close the two were. They had grown up together and knew each other better than anyone else. Jared seemed to treasure Kami and Kami clearly treasured him too, though she was more suspicious about the influence their connection to each other had on their feelings. HOWEVER. After that ending and the snippets I’ve read from Untold, Jared has some explaining to do. NO WAY IN HELL am I accepting this with no questions. No freaking way. Something is up. SOMETHING. I must know.

The other characters were all brilliant as well, and not just there for the sake of it – I felt like they all really added to the plot. I won’t mention them all, but I really liked Angela, Kami’s bestie (who I think I am most like, personality-wise :P), Holly, another friend who was just so enthusiastic and adorable, and Rusty, who was Angela’s brother. He was very funny and cared about Kami too. I also, surprisingly, really liked Lillian, Jared’s aunt. I think there’s a lot more to her than we’ve seen and I am curious about her. Definitely want to know more!

The ending, though. SERIOUSLY. That ending coupled with those snippets – I don’t know anything anymore. What is life? What are feelings? Why are things happening? I think I would happily embarrass myself horribly by dressing up as an ostrich and dancing the paso doble by myself down the street for the chance to read Untold. THAT is how much I want it.

The only thing I would say, and this is the ONLY thing, if I’m really, really nitpicking is that for a book set in England, it was pretty American. “Grey” spelt “gray”, university referred to as “college”, various other things. And would just like to point out that Rusty’s nickname for Kami in this book is Cambridge because she wants to study journalism at Cambridge. However,  pretty sure Cambridge doesn’t actually offer journalism as a degree...so yeah. Sorry, Kami, your dream is over :P. But as I said, this is literally the only thing I had to complain about the entire book. Everything else was AWESOME. And if you don’t go out and buy this book now, puppies and kitten will cry and haunt your dreams until you do.

Overall, read this book. End of.

4 comments:

  1. I'm just about to start Untold and I can't wait! I loved Unspoken so much! Kami is so awesome.

    "I think I would happily embarrass myself horribly by dressing up as an ostrich and dancing the paso doble by myself down the street for the chance to read Untold" lololololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Awesome review, you can really tell how much you loved it! I hope you get to read Untold really soon and that it's just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL at the Cambridge insider info---so funny that you caught that. I love this one, too, Kami is definitely an amazing character. But OH that ending practically killed me. Untold cannot come soon enough and yes, there better be some explanation about why Jared ripped all of our hearts out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL about the Cambridge thing. Ahhh oops? Sorry Kami, dear. Maybe you could try Oxford or something instead. (Doesn't have the same ring to it as a nickname though, does it?)

    Finally though, you're with us!! I WAS SO DEAD AFTER THE ENDING OMG. And I was in class trying not to like scream or throw something. I literally just ripped up a sheet of paper into tiny bits and marvelled at SRB's terrible, evil plan. I LOVED the characters and feel of this one. So glad you did too, Liz!

    Let's hope we both survive Untold <3 Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol I love your review so much! Not quite as good as your initial reaction tweets, but almost. Can't wait to see your Untold review.

    Cait

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)