Friday, 16 August 2013

Review: Inferno by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Inferno (Chronicles of Nick #4) by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Publisher: Atom
Released: April 9th 2013
My Rating: 4 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

Turning sixteen isn't what Nick Gautier thought it would be. While other boys his age are worried about prom dates and applying for college, Nick is neck deep in enemies out to stop him from living another day. No longer sure if he can trust anyone, his only ally seems to be the one person he's been told will ultimately kill him. Those out to get him have summoned an ancient force so powerful even the gods fear it. As Nick learns to command and control the elements, the one he must master in order to combat his latest foe is the one most likely to destroy him. If he is to survive this latest round, he will ultimately have to sacrifice a part of himself. (from Goodreads)

I swear, every time I finish a book in this series, I immediately want the next one, and then I remember that I have to wait so long for it. Ugh! I really enjoyed Inferno and seriously can’t wait to find out what happens next.

Nick was going through a lot of things in Inferno. He broke up with Kody after finding out what her mission was, he was trying not to lose control of his steadily growing powers and he also had to deal with the fact that Casey had decided to randomly latch on to him after finding out he was no longer with Kody, and he pretty much had no idea why. Add in problems with his father and a mysterious threat that kept following him, and life was more hectic than ever. But what I loved about Inferno, and about all the books in this series, was that even though things were getting darker and more and more serious, there was still time for humour. Nick cracked me up – the scene where he was with Casey and she was flirting with him was so hilarious, and even though I knew there was something up with Casey and something odd was going on, I couldn’t help but laugh. He really did not know what was happening, he needed to update his info on girls! I was never a huge fan of Kody so I wasn’t too upset about their break-up, but I do think Kody was good for Nick, they sort of balanced each other out, so I was worried at why might happen if they didn’t work things out. And seeing as we’re on the topic of girls – Simi! Ambrose stressed so much that Nick should only think of her as a sister and nothing else and yet... Definitely intrigued to see how things will turn out in the next few books.

We got to know a bit more about Caleb in Inferno, which I really enjoyed, though he, like most people in this series, did not have a particularly happy past. I liked that Caleb really seemed to really care about Nick – it was unexpected even to him that they actually became quite close, and that he’d be willing to help him of his own volition. There was also this interesting scene between Caleb and Kody and I feel like there’s still a lot more to learn about them both.

Ambrose – o_O. I mean, what can I say. His future was awful, everything that was happening to him was awful, I could see why he so desperately wanted to change the past, and now, was that even possible for him?  Things were as mysterious as ever where he was concerned. But even more mysterious was that we still found out nothing about Nick’s supposed brother – I was dying to find out more after book three, but nope! Nothing! Ahh I need to know!

I think one of the only problems I had with this book was with Cherise, Nick’s mother. I love that she and Nick were close and that Nick really loved his mother and would do anything for her – but Cherise was so overbearing! One of the most overbearing mothers in YA I’ve ever seen. I mean, it made a nice change from the usual absentee parents, but the scenes she was in were probably my least favourite. I also hated Nick’s dad, but then I’m pretty sure the world hated Nick’s dad, so no surprises there.

The ending was a massive cliffhanger. I was reading and was like “WTF IS GOING ON?” and then it just ENDED. IT JUST ENDED. How could Sherrilyn Kenyon leave it there? And now we have to wait so long for the next book. Whhhhhhhy. Ah. Can’t wait to read Illusion – cleverly named indeed, I sincerely hope there will be a proper explanation and solution to what happened in those last few pages because I don’t think I could deal if there weren’t!

Overall, Inferno was another great sequel, and I once again highly recommend this series to everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)