Tuesday, 2 July 2013

Review: The Pirate's Wish by Cassandra Rose Clarke

The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse #2) by Cassandra Rose Clarke
Publisher: Strange Chemistry
Released: June 18th 2013
My Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

After setting out to break the curse that binds them together, the pirate Ananna and the assassin Naji find themselves stranded on an enchanted island in the north with nothing but a sword, their wits, and the secret to breaking the curse: complete three impossible tasks. With the help of their friend Marjani and a rather unusual ally, Ananna and Naji make their way south again, seeking what seems to be beyond their reach.

Unfortunately, Naji has enemies from the shadowy world known as the Mists, and Ananna must still face the repercussions of going up against the Pirate Confederation. Together, Naji and Ananna must break the curse, escape their enemies — and come to terms with their growing romantic attraction.
(from Goodreads)

Did I already tell you about my love for these characters in my The Assassin’s Curse review? I did? Well tough, because I’m going to tell you again. I LOVE these characters. Ananna and Naji need some kind of award for being so amazing. READ THIS SERIES. Just do it.

Ananna was once again an amazing character and I loved her so much. We saw a slightly different side to her in this book but she retained her great sense of humour and her relentless sarcasm towards Naji (never afraid to take on her assassin :P). I think we got to see more of her emotions in this book – her embarrassment at Naji finding out that she liked him, her anger, her jealousy (this was somewhat painful and funny to read about – Ananna attempted the classic “make him jealous by paying attention to some other guy” technique which can only ever lead to embarrassment and awkwardness and made the rookie mistaking of constantly staring at Naji while she was doing it – because that wasn’t obvious at all! :P) , her feelings about her growing friendship with the manticore – I could honestly read about this girl forever. And speaking of the manticore, she was awesome. She started out as some terrifying creature that Ananna didn’t trust and was using for her own benefit, but somewhere along the way they actually started to become friends and I LOVED reading about their developing friendship. Ananna ended up confiding in the manticore quite a bit, and the manticore, in her own way, did what she thought would make Ananna happy (though it was totally misguided) and was actually a pretty good friend. I was actually surprised at how much I came to like the manticore – first time I’ve liked a character who wanted to eat the protagonists at the beginning :P.

Naji – that man. Can you believe he was still completely oblivious until the manticore intervened? He really did not handle Ananna’s feelings well. It was actually kind of funny how clueless he was at the beginning. But, slowly, you could see him start to realise that he had feelings for Ananna too and ahh! It was just so awesome. I can’t explain it to you, but the romance was written so well and you just need to read this book. And even though it wasn’t perfect and Naji was an assassin and Ananna was a pirate and there were loads of complicated things going on, you still couldn’t help but root for them! And I think that Naji, who covered up his scars and didn’t like people to really look at him, felt more comfortable and at ease with Ananna. She didn’t care about those things, and she stuck by him the whole time while he was trying to break the curse. AH SUCH BRILLIANT CHARACTERS.

Plot-wise, it was always exciting and I liked finding out how the next tasks would have to be accomplished. It was never easy and sometimes things just seemed downright impossible. The return of Marjani was one of my favourite parts – I really liked her in the first book and knew she’d come back! It was interesting to find out more about her and her past too and she acted as a kind of mentor for Ananna which was really cool. My only real problem was I think the ending was slightly rushed and I wasn’t too sure how I felt about it being left like that. But it did fit the book pretty well, and while I didn’t adore this book as much as I did with The Assassin’s Curse, it was still an excellent and enjoyable sequel.

Overall, I am sad to see the end of this series and I absolutely recommend it to everyone. Even if you don’t like fantasy, just try it! You deserve to experience the awesomeness of these characters :P.

3 comments:

  1. Oh man, I still remember your review for the first book! AND I STILL HAVEN'T READ IT, SORRY :( But ahhh, it sounds amazing. Fantasy is the best and fantasy with assassins and pirates? Even better. I'm so glad that you still loved the characters. I love when characters get into awkward situations and embarrass themselves, yay! x) Amazing review, Liz.

    And also: I MISS YOU <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so cool!! thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like such a great series...and you had me at "amazing characters". Going to be seeking out book one at the library tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)