Tuesday, 11 June 2013

Review: The Rising by Kelley Armstrong

The Rising (Darkness Rising #3) by Kelley Armstrong
Publisher: Atom
Released: April 2nd 2013
My Rating: 4 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

Things are getting desperate for Maya and her friends. Hunted by the St. Clouds and a rival Cabal, they’re quickly running out of places to hide. And with the whole world thinking they died in a helicopter crash, it’s not like they can just go to the authorities for help.

All they have is the name and number of someone who might be able to give them a few answers. Answers to why they’re so valuable, and why their supernatural powers are getting out of control.

But Maya is unprepared for the truths that await her. And now, like it or not, she’ll have to face down some demons from her past if she ever hopes to move on with her life. Because Maya can’t keep running forever.
 (from Goodreads)

The end of another series! I did enjoy this trilogy a lot. While the ending was a bit iffy for me (I’ll get back to that later), I liked the book as a whole and will definitely be looking forward to reading more of Kelley Armstrong’s work.

A lot of things happened in The Rising and Maya and co. were still trying to survive the best they could. Add in Ash, a new character who I can’t say much about because of spoilers, and things were getting even more complicated. Ash was very overprotective of Maya and his opinion on what to do often differed to what the rest of the group wanted to do. He wasn’t the most amicable guy, but I liked him because he was genuine and honest and he was sick of being messed around by people. He was also pretty observant and clever and made a great addition to the group in my opinion.

Nicole, who I have never liked (and for good reason) got even worse in this book and yet I found her to be an interesting character. Kelley Armstrong did a good job of attributing this twisted sort of reasoning behind Nicole’s actions, and while I think she should have definitely have been punished and served her time for her despicable actions, I’m glad no-one in the group actually killed her or anything out of revenge because I don’t think Serena would have wanted that.

The romance in this book was very different to the previous two books, and I really enjoyed it. There were always hints that Daniel liked Maya as more than a friend, but it was explored a lot more in The Rising and everything just made me love Daniel even more! I was so happy to see his and Maya’s friendship develop and to see them become even closer. And when Maya finally realised what was obvious to everyone else, she was stuck with trying to sort out all her feelings. She definitely cared about Rafe, and while I was never a fan, I did sort of feel bad for him in the end. He obviously liked Maya and he was a caring guy - he wanted to protect his sister. But I’ve always preferred Daniel so I was kind of happy about the new development (which actually surprised me a bit because I don’t usually like love triangles). I also think Corey was a good friend to Daniel even if his actions were a bit misguided, and I thought that was sweet. Ash’s view on the romance stuff though, was quite hilarious.

One of my favourite parts of this book was seeing the Darkest Powers characters again. Chloe and Derek returned! Along with Simon and Tori and a few others. It was so great to see them again. Chloe was awesome as always and still not taking any of Derek’s crap, Simon’s sense of humour was still there and I was even glad to see drama queen Tori! I loved the way Maya and Daniel first ran into Chloe and Derek and the way they interacted with each other after that. Maya and Chloe seemed to form an uneasy kind of friendship after a while, but I think they could be great friends in the future! Derek was, of course, suspicious of everyone, but even he relaxed a bit at the end. I didn’t realise how much I missed these characters until I saw them again!

The ending was my main problem with this book. It seemed like a bit of a cop out. I just felt like after everyone being on the run for so long (especially Chloe’s group) and after facing so much danger and trying to get away from the “bad guys” the whole time, for it to be resolved in that way...it just felt like an easy solution. Like giving in. I don’t know. I hear there’s going to be another series concerning another set of kids who were part of another project (don't quote me on it though!) – but it feels like the story in Darkness Rising was finished so I’m not sure if we’ll see more of these characters in the new series. Maybe if we did and something big happened I would be okay with the ending but right now...eh. I get why it happened, and I’m glad everyone got to have some peace at last, but I didn’t love it.

Overall, I enjoyed the Darkness Rising series a lot and would definitely recommend it to supernatural fans. I didn’t love it as much as the Darkest Powers series and the ending wasn’t my favourite, but it was still a great trilogy, and I’m sad it’s over.

6 comments:

  1. I love this trilogy and am looking forward to reading this final book! Really excited to see Chloe & Co again. I'm intrigued to see what I'll make of the ending and I didn't realise she was writing another series! My main concern is that it'll be the same plot repeating itself but eh I'm willing to give it a try. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! The ending was pretty much the only thing I wasn't all too happy about. I mean, I didn't mind it because it was a nice sort of ending, but it also felt rushed and so unexpected, you know? Still, it was a good book. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to check out this series, it sounds like a good one! That's really cool that the author brought in characters from her different, older books - I love it when authors do that!

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok the thing I didn't like about this book was who maya ended up with. That made me so mad I threw my book down hard. I say that it was to quick for my liking and she should have introduced it before this book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. who does she end up with? Daniel or Rafe? please tell me! I really have to know it!

      Delete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)