Wednesday, 5 June 2013

Review: Perfect Scoundrels by Ally Carter

Perfect Scoundrels (Heist Society #3) by Ally Carter
Publisher: Orchard Books
Released: February 7th 2013
My Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

Katarina Bishop and W.W. Hale the fifth were born to lead completely different lives: Kat comes from a long, proud line of loveable criminal masterminds, while Hale is the scion of one of the most seemingly perfect dynasties in the world. If their families have one thing in common, it’s that they both know how to stay under the radar while getting—or stealing—whatever they want.

No matter the risk, the Bishops can always be counted on, but in Hale’s family, all bets are off when money is on the line. When Hale unexpectedly inherits his grandmother’s billion dollar corporation, he quickly learns that there’s no place for Kat and their old heists in his new role. But Kat won’t let him go that easily, especially after she gets tipped off that his grandmother’s will might have been altered in an elaborate con to steal the company’s fortune. So instead of being the heir—this time, Hale might be the mark.

Forced to keep a level head as she and her crew fight for one of their own, Kat comes up with an ambitious and far-reaching plan that only the Bishop family would dare attempt. To pull it off, Kat is prepared to do the impossible, but first, she has to decide if she’s willing to save her boyfriend’s company if it means losing the boy.
 (from Goodreads)

This book in a nutshell:

Yes, it was awesome and possibly involved the best cons yet.

No, we did not find out Hale’s name (I’m getting desperate, Ally Carter. Winthorpe? Waterstone? Wayne? Wormtail? Warrington? WHAT IS IT?!)

I...adored this book. Like Heist Society and Uncommon Criminals, there was always that element of “will they get the job done?” and “can they really pull this off?” and “nooooooo way in hell”. But this time it was more personal. Hale was right in the middle of things; it was his grandmother who died, his family’s company at stake, his life in turmoil. He wasn’t exactly the best person to act rationally for this job. He wasn’t the Hale who’d laugh with Kat, making a cheeky or arrogant comment while grinning like he knew everything. No, this Hale was a slightly more broken man. And Kat’s real job wasn’t saving Hale Industries...it was saving Hale.

While we didn’t find out Hale’s name (Warner? Wren?), we did actually find out a lot more about him and his family. Hale was actually rather close to his grandmother, something Kat had never known, and she was the only person he seemed to actually really love. Not only that, but it seemed he led a whole different like when he was at home, one Kat felt she just didn’t fit in with. It was very, very interesting to see this different side of Hale. It was a reminder that when he wasn’t off stealing something with Kat and the gang, he was actually the heir to a billion dollar company. He was living a different life, and it just made me realise that there was so much we didn’t know about him. I have to admit, I did miss the old Hale, with his charm and mystery. But there was something about this Hale that just made me feel...so much for him! I just wanted to hug him, I wanted Kat to hug him, I wanted him to freaking smile again instead of just pretending to. After everything that happened in this book, he must have felt so betrayed. He acted like a complete idiot at times, something you wouldn’t expect because, I mean, this is HALE, usually so composed...but I really couldn’t blame him for it. I don’t even know what I’d be doing if I were in his situation.

Kat, however, was not giving up on Hale. Kat was just....so loyal. I loved her. I loved that she was willing to do anything, no matter how impossible it seemed. I loved the way her family teased her about her relationship with Hale...I loved that she accepted Hale, that she didn’t care about his money or business or fancy lifestyle. Kat was smart enough to know what she wanted and what she was willing to do for the people she cared about. She had known Hale far too long to fall for his pretences. God, sometimes I wish I could be as clever as these people. Kat especially – the Anastasia plan? Brilliant. And realising what was going on when it seemed to everyone else that everything was just fine and dandy? Amazing. Kat...Kat and Hale were like...I don’t even know. I just know you couldn’t have one without the other. Those two were just a perfect fit in the most imperfect way and I need there to be another book, and I need it now, and I need the clever banter and saucy humour they had before. I NEED THESE TWO TO BE HAPPY TOGETHER.

So plot, you ask? Don’t worry. Boredom is something that is impossible to feel whilst reading an Ally Carter book. The cons in this book...were just awesome. I mean, there were cons WITHIN cons. WITHIN OTHER cons. There were so many layers of lies and deceit, I don’t know how everyone kept their head. Especially at certain parts when it seemed like their plans had been discovered and everything was going wrong. There were plans, alternate plans, back-up plans, secret plans – plans everywhere! Honestly, some of these cons were so good, they almost had me fooled, even though I pretty much already knew what they were doing! And some of the things I just didn’t suspect AT ALL. If you want twists, this book will give you twists and then some. And the characters! Apart from Kat and Hale, the whole merry band of thieves was just so loveable. Honestly, I loved them all. From Uncle Eddie and all his wisdom, to sassy and smart Gabrielle who had the good fortune of being beautiful AND brainy (she was so smart she knew everything Kat was thinking...she was like her consciousness in human form!). From computer whizz Simon (a skill I have always envied) to Nick the supposed good guy who can never resist a heist (I did love Nick, he was always so reliable) to Angus and Hamish who were hilarious and devious and UGH. EVERYONE. Even Silas, who was new to this book, but adorably dorky for an old guy and someone you couldn’t help but take a liking to. I don’t know how Ally Carter did it, but she made me fall for practically her entire cast. She must have magical powers, it’s the only explanation.

Overall, it was freaking awesome. Slightly darker than the previous two books I think, there was less carefree humour and a bit more sadness. But I can’t recommend this series enough. Read it. Now. And if you’re already a fan and haven’t got this book yet...I believe some free time just appeared in your schedule. So go buy it! :D

4 comments:

  1. LOL, Hale is so adorable no matter what his name is :) I really like this series so much more than the gallagher girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you took that .5 off!! This one was a bit less care-free but I enjoyed the more personal, desperate edge to this one.

    Cait x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! Like you, I thought this book was a bit darker than the previous two books but I still enjoyed it even though I was mad at Hale . . . like all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Imagines Hale's name being Wormtail and spit laughs diet coke all over the screen* I just love this series, glad this one was a winner for you too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)