Saturday, 19 January 2013

Eternally Yours Blog Tour: Review of Eternally Yours by Cate Tiernan

Hi everyone, welcome to my stop on the Eternally Yours blog tour! Today, I'll be reviewing Eternally Yours, the third book in the Immortal Beloved series - if you haven't picked up this series yet, I highly recommend you do so ;).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eternally Yours (Immortal Beloved #3) by Cate Tiernan
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Released: January 17th 2013
My Rating: 4 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

After 450 years of living, Nastasya Crowe should have more of a handle on this whole immortal thing...

After a deadly confrontation at the end of
Darkness Falls, the second Immortal Beloved novel, Nastasya Crowe is, as she would put it, so over the drama. She fights back against the dark immortals with her own brand of kick-butt magick...but can she fight against true love? In the satisfying finale to the Immortal Beloved trilogy, ex-party-girl immortal Nastasya ends a 450-year-old feud and learns what “eternally yours” really means.

Laced with historical flashbacks and laugh-out-loud dialogue, the
Immortal Beloved trilogy is a fascinating and unique take on what it would mean to live forever. (from Goodreads)

I’m a bit sad to write this review – although I really enjoyed Eternally Yours, it means another great series is over and another set of characters have had their stories told. I will definitely miss Nastasya and Reyn and River!

The change in Nastasya really became more visible in this book. She wasn’t that wild, partying, irresponsible immortal anymore; she was on her way to reforming, trying to avoid the darkness and doing her best to stay on River’s path. She still had the urge to run away from difficult and painful situations, but the important thing was that she didn’t. She stayed and stuck it out, something she would never have done before. I think the way she was changing shocked Nastasya herself more than anyone else but she could see it was for the better. I think her town project really helped as well – she was uncomfortable getting praise and compliments from others, but in this case she actually did help out a lot of people, so it was nice to see her get credit for something she’d actually decided to work hard on. However, she was still sassy and witty and I liked her first meeting with Ottavio, River’s brother, because she refused to back down and I found it quite hilarious. He kept accusing her of the evil things going on and her attitude towards him was just so funny.

Reyn was...well, Reyn. Stoic, frustrating, sexy, caring, honest – and I think we got to see a slightly softer side to him in this book, as well as a more mischievous one! His relationship with Nastasya was always going to be complicated with what happened in their pasts, and sure enough they went through some problems and there was awkwardness and pain and suffering. But the romance scenes! When they were both willing to forget the world, everything seemed like it could work out. But unfortunately, they both had to accept a few things before they could ever actually be together in a proper relationship, and at a time when everyone was fearing for their lives, that was a bit difficult to do.

River, I have always loved. She just seemed to understand exactly what Nastasya was going through and was never judgmental or horrible. Even when her brothers brothers (I think my favourite brother was probably Roberto!) were accusing Nastasya of terrible things, she stuck by her and defended her and believed in her! And I think that was the kind of support Nastasya really needed. Luckily she had some good friends too – Brynne was probably my favourite because she was so funny and open, and Meriwether was a mortal girl, a friend Nastasya could look out for and have fun with. I also really liked finding out more about Daisuke, another resident of River’s Edge – I had always been curious about his past and I’m glad we finally got to learn more about him. It just showed that all the immortals living under River’s care really did have such terrible pasts – it’s no wonder they wanted help.

The plot wasn’t very fast-paced but there was always an underlying fear of threat looming in the background that steadily became closer and closer until everyone was literally fighting for their lives. I liked the mystery of who was behind all of the deaths of immortals around the world, but I have to admit, I felt there was rather a large build up to unveiling the culprit and then the whole issue was resolved pretty quickly after we finally found out who it was. It seemed a little but rushed to me, as did the ending (I would have liked a little more afterstory explanation), but at least it wasn’t a total non-event where the characters somehow manage to talk their way out of danger. There was some real fighting going on and there were losses on both sides. Some shocking things happened throughout the book that warned the reader not to underestimate these guys – which is why I expected more of a last battle – but oh well, I’ll take what I can get!

Overall, Eternally Yours was a great ending to a series I’ve really enjoyed reading, and I definitely recommend the series to any paranormal romance fans!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for visiting my stop on the tour! Make sure you drop by Books 4 Teens tomorrow for the next one.

Find Cate Tiernan:

7 comments:

  1. I will really miss these characters too! I agree that we got to see some different sides to Reyn in this book, and I loved that a lot. Between Reyn and Nastasya, I don't think I could ever forget this series. :) Great review, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this series. There's just so many series out there that I can't keep up. It sound like you were satisfied with how this one ended even if it was a bit rushed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah. Ending a series is always so bittersweet. I need to start on this one.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I stillllll haven't read this series which is really bad. I have got the first one so I will make a big effort. Glad you enjoyed it but it does suck when a series you like finishes

    Cait x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Slightly disappointing about the rushed ending, but I am SO happy there is actual fighting and loss going on, because I hate when the final installment ends with a whimper. I also love what you say about the obvious change in Nastasya, she's grown and grown and grown and I love watching her character progress throughout the series. Plus, she's just so fun! I can't wait to get back inside her head! You have me so excited to get my hands on this, glad to hear it's a worthy conclusion. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)