Wednesday, 24 October 2012

Crewel Blog Tour - Guest Post by Gennifer Albin

Hi everyone, hope you're all having a fab week. Today I have the lovely Gennifer Albin, author of Crewel, on the blog for a guest post! As Crewel is about Adelice, a girl who can weave time with matter, Gennifer has made a list of her favourite films that involve time-bending or shifting reality! Hope you enjoy the post :).

---

Crewel (Crewel World #1) by Gennifer Albin
Publisher: Faber & Faber
Released: October 4th 2012
Find it on Goodreads

Incapable. Awkward. Artless.

That’s what the other girls whisper behind her back. But sixteen year-old Adelice Lewys has a secret: she wants to fail.

Gifted with the ability to weave time with matter, she’s exactly what the Guild is looking for, and in the world of Arras, being chosen as a Spinster is everything a girl could want. It means privilege, eternal beauty, and being something other than a secretary. It also means the power to embroider the very fabric of life. But if controlling what people eat, where they live and how many children they have is the price of having it all, Adelice isn’t interested.

Not that her feelings matter, because she slipped and wove a moment at testing, and they’re coming for her—tonight.

Now she has one hour to eat her mom’s overcooked pot roast. One hour to listen to her sister’s academy gossip and laugh at her Dad’s stupid jokes. One hour to pretend everything’s okay. And one hour to escape.

Because once you become a Spinster, there’s no turning back.
 (from Goodreads)

---

Gennifer’s Top 5 Mind-Blowing and Time-Bending Films

1. Inception - How much of reality is determined by the mind? Can you live a whole life in a dream? Did anything in this movie actually happen? And the visual effects are stunning!

2. Dark City - A sci-fi film with a very noirish bent. It follows a man who might be a murderer or who may be being set up in a world where guardians change reality every night. It’s funny that it’s likely one of the biggest influences on Crewel without me ever consciously thinking about it.

3. The Matrix - I saw The Matrix in the theatre and was instantly obsessed. I’m not such a fan of the rest of the series, but the entire concept was mind-blowing and the fight scenes, oh, the fight scenes. I wore a lot of patent leather that year.

4. In Time - So the metaphor in this is a bit heavy handed, but I really enjoyed how it played with the relationship of time and money and the Bonnie and Clyde vibe.

5. Total Recall - I haven’t seen the remake, but the original version of this based on a Philip K. Dick story is the reason we have movies like Inception now!

---

Gennifer Albin has a masters degree in English from the University of Missouri, where she was an editor for Pleiades and The Missouri Review. She's the founder of the popular Connected Mom parenting blog and blogs about writing on her own website. Crewel was inspired by a painting by the Spanish surrealist painter, Remedios Varo. It is her first novel. (from Faber & Faber website)
Find out more about Gennifer:

http://www.genniferalbin.com
@genniferalbin
http://www.goodreads.com/genalbin
--------------------------------------------------------------
---

Thanks so much to Gennifer for writing a fab post and being on the blog, and many thanks to Laura from F&F who organised everything. I hope you've enjoyed finding out more about Gennifer and Crewel! Do you like any of the films Gennifer listed? Which are your  favourites?

Don't forget to visit the next stop on the tour, Dark Readers, tomorrow, for another great post!

7 comments:

  1. Great post. Inception is definitely one of my favourite films.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information.
    plot giant

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched Inception for the first time about a week ago and it was so good! Definitely mind blowing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen all of these movies, save for Dark City. The Matrix and Inception are personal favourites of mine!

    Thanks for the great post. I love that Arras is as mind-bending to imagine as some of these movies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huzzah for The Matrix! I was stuck on it like hot glue. I loved watching it all the time until I stopped. And Inception! What a mind screw! I still choose to think what I think about the ending despite what people say about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Inception it was a stunning film! Can't wait to read Crewel. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inception totally messed with my mind. I didn't like it. I hate it when I stay behind with so many questions :p I really liked In time though! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)