Monday, 3 September 2012

Interview with C. J. Redwine, author of Defiance

Hi everyone. Today I have C. J. Redwine on the blog, to answer some questions about her much anticipated book, Defiance. I hope you enjoy the interview, and if you want to know more, check out the links below!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Defiance (Courier's Daughter Trilogy #1) by C. J. Redwine
Publisher: Atom
Released: September 6th 2012
Find it on Goodreads

Rachel’s world is confined to the protective walls around her city. Beyond them are violent wanderers, extreme terrain, and a danger straight out of legend: a beast called the Cursed One that devastates everything in its path.

When Rachel’s father goes missing, she is desperate to search for him. But her attempts to flee the city bring her to the attention of its overbearing ruler. His efforts to control her make the world within the walls seem as dangerous as that outside.

Her only chance at escape is Logan. Once her father’s apprentice, and now her only protector, he feels that helping her might mean losing her completely. But if he can put his feelings aside, they might be able to save more than Rachel’s father. They might be able to break down the walls, and set their people free.
(from Goodreads)

Q&A

Hi CJ, thanks for joining us! Can you tell us a bit about Defiance? 

Defiance is the story of Rachel Adams who commits treason to escape her cloistered city so she can search for her missing father in the Wasteland beyond. The truth she uncovers brings her danger, heartbreak, and a new romance and also starts a war two decades in the making.

Why did you decide to write for a young adult audience? 

I love the incredible scope and variety in the YA genre, for one thing. Anything is possible. The adventures are epic, the emotions are compelling, and you can build any world you want. I also wanted to write YA because I remember not identifying strongly with the heroines in the books I read when I was a teen. They all seemed to have their lives so together and mine was such a mess. I wanted to read about characters who screwed up and didn’t have all the answers, and who got hurt or who hurt others, but who eventually found healing and redemption. So, I decided to write the books I wanted to read. ☺

How much research went into Defiance and how did you go about doing it? 

I researched as I wrote. I’m not a fan of research, mostly because I have a hard time concentrating on dry, boring facts, lol. I read one or two things and my brain instantly runs off, creating a story and leaving me skimming the rest of the page without really reading a single thing. So, as I wrote, I looked up the things I needed to understand for that scene alone. Sometimes it was the type of plant life my characters were traveling through. Sometimes it was a fighting technique. Most often, though, it was all the ridiculous, logical science that my character Logan so dearly loves. That boy almost broke my brain.

What do you find most interesting about the world you created in Defiance? 

The differences between the city-states. In Defiance, the reader is immersed in Baalboden and only hears bits and pieces about other city-states, but in books two and three we get more from the others. Each has a distinctly different culture from each other because the culture is determined by the personality of the leader. I found it fascinating to see what a city’s laws, holidays, and values would look for each leader.

Defiance alternates between Rachel’s perspective and Logan’s perspective. Did you find one harder to write than the other or could you easily switch from one to the other? 

I eventually got to the point where I could easily switch between the two, but Rachel almost always came easier for me. Part of that was because I initially wrote most of the book from her perspective alone until I realized that Logan had an equal stake in the story and needed to be heard. Part of it was because Logan’s logical, scientific brain is pretty much the opposite of mine.

If you could do any job in the world (besides writing), what would it be? 

Llama farmer. What? Llamas = awesome.

If you had magic for a day, what would you do? 

I’d pull a Mary Poppins and magically clean my whole house in five minutes. And then I’d use the rest of the day to magically travel to all the amazing places I really want to visit. Once I arrived, I’d stop time so I could linger and enjoy.

Can you tell us about any other projects you have coming up?

Right now, I’m finishing the edits on book 2 and am also co-writing a middle grade series that is kind of Grimm meets Howl’s Moving Castle.

Thanks for answering questions today, it’s been great to have you on the blog!
---

Defiance by C. J. Redwine is published by Atom on the 6th September as a paperback original and an eBook, £6.99. To find out more, visit:



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks so much to CJ and Atom for making this interview possible!

3 comments:

  1. I want a Mary Poppins power too . . . it would SO come in handy! Anyway awesome interview, Liz. I'm reading Defiance at the moment, so far so good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buahaha llama farmer. Interesting choice :D I'd totally follow her lead with having magic for a day! Clean the house in 5 minutes and travel all over the world? No greater way to spend 24 hours. Very interested to learn about the differences between the city-states, I agree that it would be fascinating to learn!

    Fantastic interview, girls! <3

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)