Sunday, 26 August 2012

Tales from Planet Print #6

Tales from Planet Print is a semi-new feature on the blog. It centres around the daily lives of books here on Planet Print, and the sorts of things they get up to when they think no-one is looking. Each week involves different books and the different situations they get themselves into. At Planet Print, we believe all books are entitled to freedom and happiness. We stand for justice and we stand against shelving. Free books are happy books.


Defiance: Who is that, lying down on the floor?
Lila: No idea. Do you think they're sleeping? I mean, they're not...dead, or anything?
Soul Beach: Nah, whoever that is, they're alive. I can see their pages fluttering.
Soul Fire: I think they're just unconscious. 
Crewel: Well, shall we wake them up?
Wolf: Are you crazy?! We don't know who it is yet. It could be anyone. A stalker, a murderer, a traffic warden...
Crewel: Okay, okay! We won't wake them!
Soul Beach: Maybe someone should take a closer look?
Defiance: I'll do it.


Defiance: Ooh, it's The Gathering Dark!
Crewel: What is she doing here?
Defiance: And why is she just asleep on the middle of the floor?
Crewel: Do you think she's okay? Maybe she's hurt or something.
Defiance: She looks fine to me. And she's breathing normally...
Soul Beach: Wake her up!
Crewel: Maybe we should...it's not safe to leave her like this.
Defiance: You're probably right. How should we wake her?
Crewel: MUSICAL THEATRE!
Defiance: No.
Crewel: Fine, just poke her or something.
Defiance: Okay, here goes -


The Gathering Dark: (wakes up suddenly and gets to her feet like a ninja) 
Everyone: Ahhhhhh!
Defiance: What kind of otherworldy speed was that?!
The Gathering Dark: (looking around) Where am I?
Crewel: Err...what do you mean? We found you sleeping here?
The Gathering Dark: (turns to Crewel) Sister? No, you are not my sister...
Defiance: We can help you find your sister if you want -
The Gathering Dark: (faces Defiance) Sister! 
Defiance: Excuse me?
The Gathering Dark: It is you, sister! I've missed you so!
Crewel: What is she talking about? Defiance, you're not her sister, are -


The Gathering Dark: Why are you so quiet, sister?
Crewel: (from background) Don't just ignore me!
Defiance: Ermm, look. I think you may be a bit confused. I'm not your sister.
The Gathering Dark: (laughs) Of course you are!
Defiance: Yeah, no. I'm really not.
The Gathering Dark: Oh, is that so? I suppose it's a total coincidence we both feature girls wearing capes on our covers.
Defiance: Well, I mean...it's a common theme! And -
The Gathering Dark: And I guess the fact these girls both face away from the front, well, that must be a coincidence too.
Defiance: It is a little strange, perhaps -
The Gathering Dark: And that flowing, flowing hair - completely random, of course! No connection whatsoever!
Defiance: I -
The Gathering Dark: Not to mention the trees and mist in the background! What more evidence do you need?
Defiance: I - you - it... Sister?
The Gathering Dark: Yes! Sister! Were are united at last!


Lila: Waaaaaiiit a minute. Hold on a second. My cover girl is facing away from the front too.
The Gathering Dark: This is true.
Lila: And she has flowing, flowing hair.
Defiance: Well, maybe just flowing hair -
Lila: AND the background is misty. Kind of.
The Gathering Dark: Well, yes. 
Lila: So why aren't I your sister too?
Defiance: Err- erm...
The Gathering Dark: Hmmm. You do possess some of our qualities. Perhaps - yes, that's it! You're our half sister!
Lila: What? No! I was just trying to prove your criteria was ridiculous and half the world could be your sisters -
The Gathering Dark and Defiance: Sister!
Lila: No! 
Defiance: Do you not want a sister?
Lila: I have a sister already! I don't need two more.
The Gathering Dark: You are so cruel, sister. Why do you hurt us so?
Lila: What? I just meant -
Defiance: You're so mean, sister.
Lila: I'm sorry, I just -
The Gathering Dark: How will we live with this rejection? From our own paper and ink? How?
Lila: Look -
Defiance: I weep, sister! I weep!
Lila: (sighs) Fine, fine. I'm your sister. Hello, sisters.
The Gathering Dark and Defiance: Yaaay!


Crewel: (wham!)
Soul Beach: Crewel! What did you do?
Crewel: Their stupid sisterly love was annoying me.
Soul Beach: You didn't have to knock them all out!
Crewel: They were taking up too much screen time! Soul Fire and Wolf barely had any lines, you know. And I wasn't in view nearly enough.
Soul Beach: So you were jealous.
Crewel: Pssh. Whatever.
Soul Beach: You were.
Crewel: Do you want me to hit you too?
Soul Beach: Soooo, Crewel, how was your week? Good?
[END]

Books (in order of appearance):
Defiance (Defiance #1) by C. J. Redwine
Losing Lila (Lila #2) by Sarah Alderson
Soul Beach (Soul Beach #1) by Kim Harrison
Soul Fire (Soul Beach #2) by Kim Harrison
Wolf Pact (Wolf Pact #1) by Melissa de la Cruz
Crewel (Crewel World #1) by Gennifer Albin
The Gathering Dark (The Grisha Trilogy #1) by Leigh Bardugo

This week I also had the chance to go to the Strange Chemistry Launch, which was awesome! I got to meet fellow UK bloggers Bella and Nina, and we listened to some extracts from a few of Strange Chemistry's upcoming books (which all sound amazing). Then we just talked and chatted with a few people and ate canapes and popping candy from a test tube. Thanks so much to Amanda Rutter for everything! And here's a pic of the goodie bag and books I managed to pick up:


(Books: Katya's World by Jonathan L. Howard, Shift by Kim Curran, Poltergeeks by Sean Cummings, The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke. The only book I didn't grab was Blackwood by Gwenda Bond, since I already have a copy. Sadly my glow in the dark moon got crushed on the way home on the Tube, but the stars managed to survive!)


(A blurry but adorable unicorn, also in the goodie bag)

I was also quoted on Losing Lila! On the back cover. Not as me, personally - I occasionally review for Chicklish and reviewed Hunting Lila there and a quote from my review was used on Losing Lila's back cover! So yay! :)

That's everything this week! What did you get?

Many thanks to Amanda, Amazon, Atom, Faber & Faber, Indigo, Samantha @ A Dream of Books and Strange Chemistry.

11 comments:

  1. I want that cute little unicorn! haha. My copy of Defiance was shipped the other day, so I can't wait to read it. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe I love these stories! You got some awesome books, I hope you enjoy them all and I love the unicorn and goody bag!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous books, and that blurry unicorn is so cute! Hope you enjoy reading everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what s cute unicorn . enjoy all . i loved the gathering dark /shadow nd bone

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to "mock" cover similarities. ;) congrats on being quoted. That's so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bahaha. Crewel is so cruel, hehe. And wow, look at all those Strange Chemistry books! Totes jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on getting quoted! I LOVED TGD and I can't wait to read Defiance. *squeals in excitement* Hehe, enjoy your books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buahahahaha though Crewel is kinda mean and totally jealous, I love her for it :D And I love the way you brought in certain cover similarities :P YOU GOT DEFIANCE. AND CREWEL! *grabby hands* I am sooo excited to read those. Sound so, so, so, so good!

    I LOVE The Gathering Dark... The Darkling makes that book for me. But I am Team Mal. Mostly. Kind of. I AM, but... ugh, the Darkling. MY EMOTIONS.

    HA. The power of lusting over Liz's books... delivery man JUST delivered Defiance! *squee*

    Anyway, SO effing awesome you were quoted on Losing Lila and the Strange Chemistry event sounds like it was so good! Fantastic week and brilliant tale :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liz, you were quoted AGAIN? Ahh, you're such a superstar now :D Congratulations!!

    I did not even notice those similarities before... THE GATHERING DARK IS SO RIGHT, THEY'RE OBVIOUSLY SISTERS! <3 I am sooooo excited for you to read that :D I think you'll really like it... At least I hope you will! I thought it was AMAZING. The Darkling will mess with your mind.

    I am so so so excited to read Defiance! I kept meaning to pre-order it and now it's already out! So I'll definitely have to go pick it up soon :P

    Glad you had fun at the launch, Liz!! <3

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol I always love to read these! you take so much time to do them and they are always funny! I hope you enjoy all of the books you got this week. I can't wait to start to see what people think of Defiance.

    Happy reading, sorry I've been MIA lately!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)