Sunday, 19 August 2012

Tales from Planet Print #5

Tales from Planet Print is a semi-new feature on the blog. It centres around the daily lives of books here on Planet Print, and the sorts of things they get up to when they think no-one is looking. Each week involves different books and the different situations they get themselves into. At Planet Print, we believe all books are entitled to freedom and happiness. We stand for justice and we stand against shelving. Free books are happy books.


Book Mountains: Climb us only if you dare, for high we go up in the air, if you're a book of fainter heart, go back now, back to the start -
Peculiars: Chloe, we made it! We really made it to the top of the Book Mountains!
Book Mountains: For if you reach our top, our peaks, remember what it is you seek, for as it has been told in lore, you may find more than you bargained for -
Chloe: I know! I can't believe it! All that training, all that hard work in the cold and snow - it all paid off! We're the first books to ever successfully climb the Book Mountains!
Book Mountains: Heed our warnings, troubled two, for we know what will come for you, leave us now and make haste, before your lives go to waste.


Peculiars: ...Did you hear something?
Chloe: Yeah, something...musical.
Peculiars: I wonder what it was?
Chloe: I'm sure it was nothing...who would be singing all the way up here?
Peculiars: I'm starting to feel a little creeped out...
Chloe: Don't worry. We're the only ones here. No-one is going to attack us or anything.
Peculiars: But why is there such an ominous vibe in the air? I feel like we've overlooked something important...
Chloe: Well, maybe. What do we really know about the Book Mountains? Besides the fact no-one has ever made it to the top before...
Peculiars: What happened to those who failed?
Chloe: I don't know.
Peculiars: This is weird, Chloe. Why has no-one ever managed to climb them before us? It wasn't exactly difficult...
Chloe: I don't know, Peculiars. I don't know.


Peculiars: Oh my God, Chloe, look down there!
Chloe: (gasps) No way! It's the legendary Diviners!
Peculiars: The legendary Diviners?
Chloe: There's a myth about the Book Mountains. It's said that those who climb to the top will meet the legendary Diviners, who will tell their fortune.
Peculiars: We're about to find out our futures?
Chloe: Yes!
Diviners: Greetings, young ones.
Chloe: Legendary Diviners, it is an honour to meet you! Please enlighten us with your wisdom!
Diviners: My wisdom? I see. You seek knowledge of the future. Well I shall tell you. Your fate is to be forgotten.
Peculiars: Wait, what?
Diviners: Do you really believe you are the first to reach these peaks? 
Chloe: So there have been others? Well why have we never heard of them!
Diviners: They have been forgotten, just as you will be forgotten. You shall join the rest of the books on the Book Mountains, and I shall forever rule of you all, mwahahahaha!
Peculiars: You're crazy! You can't do this! Our families will know we're missing!
Diviners: I have the power to make them forget you ever existed. I shall be the only book the world remembers! I alone will reign!
Chloe: No wait, what about -
Diviners: Enough of your foolishness! It is time to make sure you will never be remembered! (does magic-y things)
Peculiars: Ahhhhh!
Chloe: Ahhhhh!
(Bam! They are forgotten)


Diviners: Oh, hello Starlight! 
Starlight: 'Sup, Diviners. You doing magic again?
Diviners: Just a bit. Got rid of some pests, you know. Thought they could be rich and famous for climbing the Book Mountains, silly books. How are you?
Starlight: Oh, well. Just busy being a sampler, you know.
Diviners: Of course, of course. I'm sorry if my magic disturbed you. You live in the cave in between the mountains, don't you?
Starlight: Indeed. I was having a nap when I felt the rumbling. What happened to those books you magicked then?
Diviners: The usual. I made the world forget them. They should be joining the rest of the books on the Book Mountains soon.
Starlight: I see. Well, fancy a spot of lunch?


Diviners: Lunch? Oh yes! Let us be on our way.
Starlight: What would you like to eat?
Diviners: Hmm...maybe sushi?
Starlight: We had sushi the last time you used magic.
Diviners: Fine, fine. Pizza?
Starlight: The carbs! Think of the carbs!
Diviners: FINE. What do you want?
Starlight: Nando's.
Diviners: AGAIN?
Chloe: (faint, far away whisper) I knew we should never have climbed those mountains...
Peculiars: (also a faint, far away whisper) It was your idea!
Chloe: Hmm. I want Nando's.
[END]

Books (in order of appearance):
Tempest by Julie Cross
The Peculiars by Maureen Doyle McQuerry
Crave by Melissa Darnell
Misfit by Jon Skovron
Wolf Princess by Cathryn Constable
Darkness Falls by Cate Tiernan (I was quoted in this book! Yay! My first book quote)
Hana-Kimi vol. 1 by Hisaya Nakajo
Monkey High vol. 1 by Shouko Akira
Girl Got Game vol. 1 by Shizuru Seino
Pop! by Catherine Bruton
Partials by Dan Wells
Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson
Level 2 by Lenore Appelhans
Skylark postcard by Meagan Spooner
Days of Blood and Starlight sampler by Laini Taylor
Heist Society by Ally Carter
A Witch in Love by Ruth Warburton
Jessie Hearts NYC by Keris Stainton
Stolen Night by Rebecca Maizel
Infinite Days by Rebecca Maizel
Breathe by Sarah Crossan
Angel Dust by Sarah Mussi
Deadly Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock
Foretold by Jana Oliver
Spark by Amy Kathleen Ryan
Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
Rage Within by Jeyn Roberts
The Diviners by Libba Bray

Thanks to our backstage ebooks, who helped with the story.




Many thanks to Amazon, Amulet, Atom, Bloomsbury, Bookbabblers, Caroline @ Portrait of a Woman, Chicken House, Harlequin Teen, HarperCollins UK, Hodder & Stoughton,  Hot Key Books, Kimberly Sabatini, Leanna @ Daisy Chain Book Reviews, Macmillan, Meagan Spooner, NetGalley, Sezzy, Strange Chemistry and Steph @ Steph Like Books.

(It's been weeks since I've done this feature, hence all the books. I may have missed out a few, but oh well.)

8 comments:

  1. Lol! I love it! I wish I'd read even one of the starring books. La sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. creative story . enjoy the monster haul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, these posts are so fabulous!! WOW, The UK version of Diviners looks amazing. I'm reading my copy right now. The very first chapter has creeped me out! OH, and Days of Blood and Starlight---jealous! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post, Liz! Totally loving the UK cover of The Diviners!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOU ARE SO TALENTED. Seriously, that warning chant was pretty reminiscent of the Gringotts one, I thought :P

    SOOO many amazing books this time around! I am unbelievably jealous of that (sampler) copy of Days of Blood & Starlight... hope you LOVE it! I have a galley of The Diviners that I should get to soon - can't wait to read your review!

    And AHHHHH, you were quoted!!! That is SO cool, I bet it was exciting to find! Did they contact you to let you know or did you just see it? Either way, it's awesome, congrats :)

    Happy reading!

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GOD. WHAT SONIA SAID. Warning chant. Gringotts. Hee! The legendary Diviners is a psycho. I love it :D And I LOVE theses posts SO MUCH.

    AND OMFG YOU GOT DAYS OF BLOOD AND STARLIGHT SAMPLER :O I AM SO JEALOUS. Except it would kill me to read a sampler and not have the rest. AND THE DIVINERS!! I LOVED Libba's Beauty Queens and Going Bovine, so effing excited to see what this will be like.

    Level 2!!! Skylark! Breathe! The Lost Prince! LIZ. So many amazing book. And congrats on being quoted in Darkness Falls!! Love that series.

    I love Partials too, can't wait to see what you think. And and and I just finished Deadly Hemlock a few hours ago AND IT IS SO FREAKING GOOD. ENJOY.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that is certainly a moutain of books! I can't wait to see what you think of Diviners. I have never read a Libba Bray book but everyone swears she is an amazing writer.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)