Tuesday, 7 August 2012

Review: Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Onyx (Lux #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Released: August 14th 2012
My Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarre connection. I’ve sworn him off even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But against all common sense, I’m falling for him. Hard.

Our relationship issues aren’t out biggest problem…

The Department of Defense is here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we’re linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And when a new boy shows up a school with a secret of his own, things get complicated fast. I need to choose between my own instincts and Daemon’s.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. Daemon’s never going to stop searching until gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies.
 (from Goodreads)

Ahem. Onyx. Well, where to begin. To be honest, I am surprised that Kat maintained her “but Daemon only likes me because of our alien connection thingy” for so long. I mean, at some point it was entirely clear that this wasn’t the case, but Kat kept deluding herself anyway. No idea why. Personally, if I were Kat, Blake would never have even come into the picture.

Don’t expect this review to have structure, by the way. Don’t even. Not after that ending.

So, yes. Kat was pushing Daemon away. Daemon was being Daemon and ignoring this. Kat was being Kat and was ignoring Daemon’s ignoring. Fighting/kissing ensued. Then Kat found out the consequences of being healed by Daemon’s alien powers, and that’s when things started to get serious. Of course, there were still lots of sarcastic comments from Kat and funny/sexy remarks from Daemon, but this book was a lot more serious than Obsidian. There wasn’t as much humour (though the scene where Kat’s mum found Daemon in her room was hilarious), but there was quite a bit more action. And Kat was doing more as well, she was determined to be able to stand up for herself instead of relying on Daemon and Dee for protection. And I can understand why, she didn’t like to feel helpless. I really liked reading her training scenes and seeing her make progress. As for pushing Daemon away though...I got it at first, she didn’t want them both to end up like Bethany and Dawson. But it was quite clear early on that Daemon (who actually had quite a sweet side – who knew!) wasn’t going to give up and that he didn’t care what the other Luxen thought, so keeping up the whole charade for so long just seemed pointless (though seeing Daemon jealous was quite hilarious although it probably shouldn’t have been. But then again, I have a weird, sometimes morbid, sense of humour :P). I didn’t know whether to commend Kat for sticking to her word for such a long time (with only a few lapses ;]) or sigh at her for being so stubborn!

I loved all the blogging references!  I share Kat’s dislike of insta-love and agree that books are more important than anything else :P. And I loved how Daemon actually started getting into it as well (I reckon he secretly wished he had his own blog. I also thought it was cute how he checked for updates on Kat’s).

I thought the storyline revolving around the DOD was really interesting, I didn’t expect it at all. I liked how things connected and how there was something bigger going on than anyone thought, and how Bethany and Dawson were just pawns in their game. I did guess a few things (I never trusted certain characters from the beginning) but I think the plot was quite cleverly planned out (though was anyone else reminded a bit of Roswell?).

I do wish Dee were in the book more, since I really loved her in the first book and felt that she was more in the background in this one. I did like that she was getting along well with Adam though, and the action was stepped up a notch (same with the mystery) which made up for her absences. I felt like there was a lot more going on, and there was a more ominous, threatening vibe as well – it was more than just about staying inconspicuous, everyone was in danger. And something happened toward the end that really shocked and upset me. I wasn’t prepared for it at all. Seriously, there was just so much stuff. Onyx felt more fast paced to me than Obsidian and I grew to love all the characters even more.

The ending, oh my God.  Just...what the hell. HOW. I need the next book now. That was the most evil cliffhanger ever. I need Opal now! The wait is too long, I must have it! I need to know what happens next.  NEED to. I have some theories, but that’s really not enough.

Overall, Onyx was an awesome sequel to Obsidian (though I think I preferred Obsidian slightly more) and if you’re a fan of light sci-fi with romance and action, definitely give this series a go.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely review, Liz! I haven't heard a single bad thing about this series, so I must get to it soon because I want to see what everyone is talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT DO MEAN ABOUT THE ENDING, LIZ? WHAT. DO. YOU. MEAN?! *grabs by the shoulders and shakes* I have this. I HAVE A FREAKING COPY. IN MY HOUSE. WHY HAVEN'T I READ IT YET?! It's either second or third on my TBR, but I'm seriously contemplating raising it closer after your teasing, but oh so brilliant review. I'm a little torn over whether to sigh (nay, HIT) Kat over her Daemon-No-Likey-Me delusions too. We'll see how I fare when I read the book haha.

    Sooo excited for this and the action and the twists and the blogging and the banter and the Daemon and the Daemon and the Daemon and the... AWESOME REVIEW, LIZ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I love your thoughts\review it almost makes me want to give this series another try...almost. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely review! And ha! Wouldn't it be something if Daemon had his own blog? ;) I loved the input he put into Kat's blogging too. It was very hilarious at times. :D I'm glad you enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. *mumbles* I really don't know what to think. I really didn't like Obsidian and I have hopes that this book will be better. I really don't know if this one will actually be better though since it seems like you either like the things that happened in the first book because they will be on repeat for this book or you are destined to not like either in the series.

    Thanks for the great review though, I'm glad you are really enjoying this series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HANDS DOWN, feet down, face down, a$$ down the best book Jennnifer L. Armentrout has ever written (yes, the extra "n" in Jennifer was originally a typo, but I decided to leave it in because that's just how awesome she is). I've said before that I'm riding the Jennifer L. Armentrout train going full speed ahead, but now I own the frickin railroad! GREAT ALIEN BALLS OF FIRE!

    Cath Brookes (Windows Software Download)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)