Sunday, 8 July 2012

Contemporary Summer: Serial Hottie Blog Tour - Guest Post with Kelly Oram!


Hi everyone! Today I have the lovely Kelly Oram (author of Serial Hottie - see my review) on the blog for a guest post on strong YA heroines! I hope you enjoy the post, and stick around for a chance to win a copy of Serial Hottie on Kelly's blog.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YA Heroines

Who doesn’t love a strong heroine? I read so much I have a hard time keeping stories straight. One of the ways I know I’ve truly loved a book is if I never forget the main character. If I can read a book once, then read fifty other books and still remember the main character’s names, I know I have a winner. 

I think one of my all-time favorite YA heroines is probably Beka from the Beka Cooper novels by Tamora Pierce. She’s a girl of few words, but she’s smart, resourceful, brave, tough, and has an admirable code of ethics in an impossibly corrupt society. I loved that Beka was relentless and incorruptible no matter how high the odds were stacked against her. 

For my next choice, I’m going to be very original and agree with half the world when I say that Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games has got to be one the strongest YA heroines out there. What I like most about her is the fact that it’s her selflessness that makes her strong. The moments she really shines are the times she’s acting out of her love for others. Yes, she’s lethal and brave, but she has heart too. 

Another one of my all time favorite YA characters is Maggie Armstrong from Leaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles. I think contemporary characters get overlooked in the “strong heroine” department. Sure, it’s easy to see a girl’s strength when she’s literally kicking butt and taking names, but there is something to be said for facing your flaws and overcoming your insecurities. That’s a different kind of strong—a harder one to accomplish, probably. 

Maggie was left crippled for life by her next-door-neighbor, and life-long crush in a hit-and-run drunk driving accident. The book starts out when Caleb is released from jail and the two of them are stuck living next door to one another again. I couldn’t even begin to imagine how impossible a situation that would be, and yet in this moving story Maggie not only deals with it, but also finds a way to forgive Caleb. She learns to accept the fact that her life will never be the same, and decides to make the best of what she’s been left with. To me, that’s true courage.

And just to name a few other heroines that I really enjoy…

Katsa from Graceling by Kristin Cashore
Em from Airhead by Meg Cabot (I pretty much love all of Meg’s leading ladies.)
Elisa from The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson
Syrah from Girl Overboard by Justina Chen Headley
(And this one’s not really YA, but I LOVE Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks so much for being on the blog, Kelly! I love Katsa and Em as well :). But I agree that contemp characters can sometimes get overlooked, so I'm hoping Contemporary Summer will introduce people to really cool heroines! (Like Ellie from Serial Hottie.)

To win a copy of Serial Hottie, visit Kelly's blog here! She currently has three giveaways on, and one is international! Enter away :).

Serial Hottie was also released early, so you can buy it now! 

Hope you enjoyed the post! Who are some of your favourite YA heroines? Do you agree that contemp characters are overlooked (and if so, are there any contemp heroines you really love)?

4 comments:

  1. KATNISS EVERDEEN. Hell yes. I never tire of seeing her listed as a favourite heroine, girl deserves all the praise she gets. YES to strong heroines not always being the butt-kicking type. Strength comes in all forms and the emotional strength is the toughest kind. I so need to check out the sequel to Leaving Paradise some time soon <3 Yay that Katsa made the list!! I really want to read The Girl of Fire and Thorns, it sounds fantastic.

    Some of my favourites? Hmmm... Rose Hathaway, Tris, Katniss, HERMIONE (shhhh, I'm slipping her into YA), Kira (Partials), umm.... it's bad I'm not thinking of contemp heroines, isn't it? Either it's due to my 2:40am-dead-tiredness or they really are majorly overlooked. When I think YA heroines, I guess my brain automatically connects to dystopian/fantasy, etc. I must rectify this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, interesting. Yes, I think we do overlook heroines in contemporary. Now I'm going to have to think about this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. EEEEEE! Maggie Armstrong! ♥ I seriously adore her in Leaving Paradise! Katniss Everdeen! Well, definitely one of the best YA heroines out there! KATSA! OH how I adore her. She is super AMAZING. My favourite YA heroine is like Brodie too! I LOVE Tris from Divergent and Rose Hathaway from Vampire Academy.

    Awesome guest post, Kelly! Thank you for sharing this with us, Liz! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Serial Hottie a month or so ago and I really enjoyed it. But like Jenny said above, it's interesting to see how we do overlook heroines in YA contemporary. There are a few greats in the genre. Anyway great post!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)