Thursday, 5 July 2012

Contemporary Summer: Guest Post with Jess from Jess Hearts Books - YA Contemp Recommendations!


Hello everyone! As you may remember from Cait's introduction post, we asked bloggers/readers to get in involved in the event by sending us their YA contemp recommendations. Today, I have the lovely Jess from Jess Hearts Books on the blog, who has kindly put together some, including a few of her favourites and books she feels are underrated. I hope you find something you like!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Favourite Contemp Books Ever:

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen
The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen
Last Chance by Sarah Dessen
This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

I love all of Sarah Dessen's books and consider her to be my queen of contemporary summer stories. I read these books through the summers of my teen years and each book has a special place in my heart, I love all of them but the above have to be my favourites and ones I love to re-read!

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Despite these two books being fairly recent releases they have quickly made it into my favourite contemp books ever list. Stephanie's books are cute, fun, and romantic and I absolutely adore them.

The Summer series by Jenny Han

This series is summer in a book. If you're looking for perfect beach reads look no further, touching, romantic, and all set on the beach at a summer house these books are what every girl wants in a summer, and have one of the most brilliantly done love triangles ever!

The Perfect Chemisty series by Simone Elkeles

Three swoonworthy bad boy brothers? Yes Please! These books are sultury and romantic and I quickly became addicted to them.

The Jessica Darling series by Megan McCafferty

This is one of the funniest series ever with a charming, smart, and witty heroine to boot! What I love about this series is how they follow Jessica from her teenage years into young adulthood, it's great to spend such a span of time with characters and watch them grow!

Fave/Most Anticipated 2012 Contemps:

My favourite contemp of the year so far has to be The Fault in Our Stars by John Green this book for me was a total masterpiece and words can't describe just how touching and amazing it truly is.

Other contemps I've really enjoyed this year are Someone Else's Life by Katie Dale which is another touching and addictive read that I like to pitch as Jodi Picoult for teens, and When You Were Mine by Rebecca Serle, which is a gorgeous re-telling of Romeo and Juliet with a twist and is an acurate portrayal of the devestation of losing first love. The Disenchantments by Nina Lacour is perfect for fans of books about summer road-trips, growing up, and music. I loved reading Colby's journey and found it refreshing to have a male narrator in a contemporary summer story. Adorkable by Sarra Manning was a 5 star read for me, I love all of Sarra's books that I've read but this one has to be my favourite - it's funny, slick, and sexy and perfect for dorks! The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith is the sweetest romance you'll ever read, set over a 24hr period!

There are so many contemps that I'm still looking forward to reading (being released) in 2012:

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill
Raw Blue by Kirsty Eager (which is being published in the UK, yay!)
Something Like Normal by Trish Doller and so many more!

Right now on my wishlist I'm really pining for Unbreak My Heart by Melissa Walker and most of all In Honor by Jessi Kirby. I eye them on my wishlist every time and hope I can buy them sometime soon!

Most Underrated Contemps:

Books that I feel don't get as much hype as they deserve and that people should really check out are:

Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway - which is also one of my favourite contemps of all time, if you love your music and hilarious heroines this is a brilliant book and should be on every contemp lovers bookshelves in my opinion.

Rockoholic by C.J. Skuse - I always call this the British version of Audrey, Wait! it's one of my favourite Brit contemps ever. C.J's writing is hilarious-if you like your music, a sweet romance, and funny heroines then look no further!

Other Words for Love by Lorraine Zago Rosenthal - oh how I love this book and wish more people would check it out! This is one of the most acurate portrayals of first love found and lost that I've ever read, this book touched my heart and is one I think everyone whose ever had their heart broken can relate to as the heroine works through her feelings and comes out the other side of the break-up a better and stronger person.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks so much Jess for all your fab recommendations! I'm definitely adding Other Words for Love to my TBR, it sounds amazing. I'll have to finish the Summer series by Jenny Han too, so far I've only read the first book.

Have you read any of the books Jess has recommened? Tempted to add any to your own TBR lists? Got any books to recommend yourself? Let us know in the comments! And don't forget you can still nominate your fave contemp reads and enter our giveaways here. Check out Cait's blog for some more contemp recommendations!

10 comments:

  1. I have NEVER read a Sarah Dessen book before; how embarrassing :P I really really want to read The Disenchantments and Other Words for Love sounds SO good...I really want it...I want it NOW! So many amazing recs from Jess XD

    Cait x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cait you need to get on to your first Dessen this summer! I really think you'll love The Disenchantments and Other Words for Love too :)

      Delete
  2. Looks like you and Cait's guests loved The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight and Someone Else's Life. I'll take that as a sign I should read them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIS LIST IS PERFECT! The Truth about Forever is my all-time favourite Sarah Dessen book too. I LOVE WES. Anna and the French Kiss is my alltime favourite YA contemporary. I can re-read it a billion times and never get bored of it :P Etienne St. Clair is the reason why! ;) I loved Lola and the Boy Next Door (Cricket!) but I think I loved ANNA more. PERFECT CHEMISTRY! The first book is my favourite out of the 3 books, just because Alex is my favourite Fuentes brothers! And I really should read The Jessica Darling series!

    OMG! So I read My Life Next Door and it was AMAZING. I think it's my fave 2012 YA contemporary so far! I've also read Something Like Normal and it was AWESOME too! LOVE BOTH BOOKS!

    Awesome post, Jess! And thank you for sharing this post with us, Liz! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww glad you think the list is perfect Celine! Since I wrote this post I've read My Life Next Door and really loved it too and I now have Something Like Normal waiting to be read on my kindle, yay!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for having me on the blog Liz! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I NEED TO READ MORE SARAH DESSEN BOOKS!! I've read two so far - The Truth About Forever and What Happened to Goodbye. I especially loved TTAF. I own Lock & Key, so I better get on that soon.

    Oh my gosh, YES to Anna and Lola! I am dying to reread Anna already, it's one of my fave ever contemps too (I like Jess already, she has superb taste :D). Totally with her on the Perfect Chemistry series too, those Fuentes brothers sure know how to hook a girl in.

    I'm also really excited for My Life Next Door, I've been hearing amazing things about that from blogger friends. I think Jess has also convinced me to give Other Words for Love and the Summer series a try as soon as I can!!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)