Saturday, 28 July 2012

Contemporary Summer: Blogger Recommendations!


Hello! Today (or tonight, shall I say) I have lots of fab bloggers on the blog who are recommending some of their favourite contemps! Hopefully you'll find a few you like the sound of - enjoy! :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hannah from The Girl in a CafĂ© Recommends:

Fave Contemp Reads: 

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins - Anna is probably my favourite contemporary ever, and I only had the pleasure of reading it this year. Anna's hilarious - she was a wonderful character to get to know, I felt like I was on the same level as her (like, she was totally me and I was her - does that mean I was kissing St. Clair as well????). The story was wonderfully written - it wasn't meant to be something deep and thought provoking, but Stephanie managed to weave the story so that you didn't feel like OH GOD when is this book going to end???


When You Were Mine by Rebecca Serle - A modern retelling of Romeo and Juliet, this book was for me gold dust. I loved it - told from the perspective of Rosaline, the girl Romeo claimed to love before meeting Juliet. It was such an emotional read and a beautifully done story. I felt myself cheering for Rosaline all the way through, wanting to kill both Rob and Juliet. But that's how I usually feel when the subject of Romeo and Juliet comes up!

Wanderlove by Kristen Hubbard - This is the ultimate book to read if you are feeling down in the dumps and just want some inspiration in your life. Kristen has written such a brilliant novel and incorporated some of the most wonderful places on earth in it. Read it, devour it. Love it!

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jen E Smith - Such a wonderful light read about the joys of air travel and how one meeting can change your world forever! I absolutely love airports, and I love romance, so this is the perfect book. I'm not really a fan of insta-love, but it totally works here.

Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols - Nobody does YA contemp like Jennifer. She's like the badass of contemp. I always love her stories, and this one is my ultimate fave!


YA Contemps to Look Out for in 2012!

Such a Rush by Jennifer Echols 
My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick 
If I Lie by Corinne Jackson

Chloe from YA Booklover Blog Recommends:

Favourite Contemporary Reads:

1) Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
2) The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
3) Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley 
4) How to Be Bad by Lauren Myracle, E. Lockhart, and Sarah Mlynowski
5) Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Honourable mentions - If I Stay & Where She Went by Gayle Forman, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Basically the books above are just amazing. A lot of them are heart breaking, most of them are funny, and all of them deserve to be read! 

Most Underrated Contemporary Reads:

1) How to Be Bad by Lauren Myracle, E. Lockhart, and Sarah Mlynowski
2) Other Words for Love by Lorraine Zago Rosenthal
3) The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg
4) Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler
5) The Boyfriend List series by E. Lockhart

These are contemporary books that I loved and think deserve more recognition. I've seen them mentioned a few times, but more people should read them! 

Most Anticipated/Favourite so far 2012 Contemporary Reads:

1) The Best Night of Your (Pathetic) Life by Tara Altebrando (anticipated)
2) Just One Day by Gayle Forman (anticipated)
3) My Life Next Door by Huntley Fiztpatrick (anticipated)
4) A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (best of 2012 so far)
5) Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley (best of 2012 so far)

I'm really excited for the first three (especially #1), and 4 and 5 are my top contemporary books of 2012 so far.

Celine from Forget Me Not Recommends

Favourite Contemp Books Ever:

Anna & the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins! 
Reason: Etienne St. Clair (French, American and British hybrid! :P) Although, you've probably read the book? ;) 

The Summer series by Jenny Han! LOVE THIS SERIES SO MUCH! It's so beautifully written & touching!

Fave/Most Anticipated 2012 Contemp:

Hmmm...this one is hard. 
- Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson (I've read this & loved it!)

- My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick (Heard great things about this!)
- Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry (Got an ARC so hopefully I can read it soon! Although, the summary sounds awesome & I've heard great things about it too!)

These are the only books I can come up with without looking at Goodreads :P

Most Underrated Contemp:

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
The book was quite slow in the beginning but once you get into it, the story was amazing!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks so much to Hannah, Chloe and Celine for taking part! Definitely got lots to look up - heard so many great things about Jellicoe Road, and Graffiti Moon and Going Too Far have been on my TBR for ages!

What do you think of these recs - any you've read? And what would you recommend?

Visit Cait's blog for a guest post with Beverley A Reading Daydreamer.

4 comments:

  1. omg the boyfriend list books are so good! thank you for the great recommendations, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so many awesome recommendations! I LOVED Anna and a few of the other ones here but there are still so many that I need to read! Jellicoe Road, Graffiti Moon, Wanderlove, The Summer series... so many books to read! <3 Thanks to all of you for the wonderful recs! :)

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, I get all squeeful happy every time I see Anna and the French Kiss mentioned :D I NEED A REREAD, DESPERATELY!

    I SO want to read a Jennifer Echols book! I hear such fantastic things about her novels, I can't believe I don't own any yet!! I'm really, really, really eager to get My Life Next Door. Every review has me crazy fangirlish. AND MELINA FREAKING MARCHETTA BOOKS. She's considered one of the contemporary queens, right? And considering this month has been ALL about the contemporaries, it would be a dishonour if I did not plan to get to her soon. Especially being an Aussie :P

    So many INCREDIBLE recommendations above that I can't wait to check out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a great list. I have read several of the favorite and underrated contemps out there but I have a few now to add to my list to read.

    Thanks for such a great event!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)