Thursday, 21 June 2012

Review: Invincible by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Invincible (Chronicles of Nick #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Publisher: Atom
Released: March 22nd 2011
My Rating: 4 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

Just when he thought things couldn’t get any worse...

Nick Gautier’s day just keeps getting better and better. Yeah, he survived the zombie attacks, only to wake up and find himself enslaved to a world of shapeshifters and demons out to claim his soul.

His new principal thinks he’s even more of a hoodlum than the last one, his coach is trying to recruit him to things he can’t even mention and the girl he’s not seeing, but is, has secrets that terrify him.

But more than that, he’s being groomed by the darkest of powers and if he doesn’t learn how to raise the dead by the end of the week, he will become one of them...
 (from Goodreads)

Invincible was awesome. I think I’m in love with this series! I started Infinity not knowing much about it and it ended up exceeding all my expectations. And now Invincible has made me love the series even more.

Nick was possibly even more likeable in the book. I mean, I don’t see how you couldn’t like the guy. He was treated so unfairly by people and was struggling to fight his desire for revenge, but underneath all that and all the crazy powers and all the hilarious backchat, you could tell he was just a genuinely nice person, who loved his mother and was just a bit lost. Nothing ever went right for the guy and he was stuck in the middle of something he never signed up for. On top of that, he had to deal with weird visions and voices in his head – you had to admire him for not having a nervous breakdown. One thing I love is that his humour and sarcasm from book one continued in this book and there were many very amusing scenes, most of them involving Nick being sarcastic and then getting in trouble for it :p.

I liked Kyrian even more in this book too – we got to learn some more about his past and it was clear he experienced some terrible betrayal (I haven’t read the Dark-Hunters series, so I don’t what happened to him yet!). I also loved the way he interacted with Nick – honestly, he was just as sarcastic at times! We also got to learn more about Mark and Bubba, and my view of Bubba definitely changed - it was so sad what happened to him. It made me appreciate him more and from the way Nick acted too, you can tell he saw Bubba in a new light as well.

Kody was as mysterious as ever. Though we did find out more about her “mission”, there were these very curious paragraphs that made me feel like something very bad was going to happen. And we still didn’t find out what she was. Even Ambrose didn’t know. I am very curious and I hope we find out more about her soon, otherwise I’m just going to keep coming up with ridiculous theories in my head.

Ambrose, however, was the most mysterious of all (again). I didn’t really get how all this time-travelling stuff worked?  He was effectively changing Nick’s future, yet how could he then tell Nick what was going to happen IN the future? If the future he knew was going to change? Every time we got an Ambrose chapter, I read it so closely, just for any kind of hint or clue. I wanted to know more! And the fact that Ambrose didn’t know things about his own past, like the fact that he had a brother and not remembering Kody...I mean, how was that even possible? Something very shady was going on there. I am convinced bad, bad things will happen in future books.

I really liked the plot in Invincible, I think more than in Infinity (though the zombies were awesome), mostly because we got to find out a lot more about all the supernatural beings (and that Caleb actually seemed to like Nick which went against what Ambrose claimed, so oooh) and also because I had no idea why the coach was doing what he was doing, so it was very interesting following Nick and his friends, trying to find out the reason. The way the book ended as well, cliffhangery! I am glad I have the next book to read, because waiting months and months to see Nick’s reaction would have been killer.

Overall, Invincible was action-packed, hilarious and a great addition to the Chronicles of Nick series, and I can’t wait to start the next book, Infamous! Highly recommended, and not just to YA fans – to everyone!

3 comments:

  1. I REALLY REALLY WANT TO READ THIS SERIES! The first book has intrigued me for a while. It was always just... THERE. Hovering around, popping up at random times to tease me, make me want it, but never did I go and get it. Now one of my favourite UK bloggers is reading and loving these books, it's totally the push I need.

    I LOVE me a sarcastic main character, even more so if it's a HE. And you have me super curious about Ambrose and his abilities. Plus you mentioned ZOMBIES.

    AWESOME REVIEW. I GOTS TO HAVE THIS BOOK. ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, amazing review! I haven't started this series yet but have the first book. The characters sound like an interesting bunch! I can't wait to get started. :) So glad the sequel lived up to the first book for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you love this now! Agreed that I love Nick-but he's mine! And Simi! Definitely read the third one soon-things start to really pick up!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)