Saturday, 30 June 2012

Review: Dreamless by Josephine Angelini

Dreamless (Starcrossed #2) by Josephine Angelini
Publisher: Macmillan
Released: July 5th 2012
My Rating: 4 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

Can true love be forgotten?

As the only Scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on.

Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out—a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies’ cry for blood is growing louder.

As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen’s sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos.
 (from Goodreads)

Dreamless was a great sequel to Starcrossed, with an exciting plot that left me very, very curious as to where things were heading. If you liked Starcrossed, this is a must-read.

First off, let’s get the whole love triangle thing out of the way. Yes, there was a love triangle. We all knew it was coming, half of us didn’t want it (myself included) buuut...guys. It wasn’t that bad. Okay, yes, I am slightly annoyed that the whole relationship between Lucas and Helen in book one was undermined, since it wasn’t very hard for Helen to find some other guy she liked. That being said, you just couldn’t NOT like Orion. I tried. I actually tried not to like him, but he was just too damn funny and sweet. Funnier than Lucas, though, to be fair, Lucas was going through a lot in this book, so developing his sense of humour wasn’t exactly his top priority. And while I don’t think this love triangle was exactly necessary, I didn’t hate it. I was glad we got the chance to meet Orion, because I really liked his character. Apart from being funny, he was another Scion who was suffering (more Scions, more problems) and just wanted justice. He was pretty much prepared to do anything to get it, and you know...the whole thing with Helen, it wasn’t the typical “I love you, my dearest! Leave that Lucas fellow for me!” It was actually a lot more complicated. I mean, by the end Lucas and Orion seemed to like each other. Orion knew how Lucas felt. They were all put in difficult situations and with Orion and Helen being made to spend so much time together, would it really have been fair to ask to them to stay nothing more than acquaintances? Especially since Lucas was shutting her out and everyone was disgusted by their previous relationship. So, yes, while I wish Orion was just introduced as another character rather than a potential love interest, I wasn’t so upset by the love triangle that it completely ruined my enjoyment of the book. I still liked Dreamless, and I still want to read the next book.

There was quite a bit going on with characters in this book, which I enjoyed. Hector was in it quite a bit, and he was one of my favourites in Starcrossed, so I was very glad to see him! Lucas changed the most – he was much darker in this book, angrier at everything and suffering from self-loathing. To be honest, while I think he was being stupid at times, I could understand his feelings, and it was sort of nice to see he wasn’t the perfect guy a lot of people thought he was (though seriously, when will people understand that watching people while they sleep from outside their bedroom is just creepy! Not romantic, just creepy). Helen was going through a lot too, visiting the Underworld in her sleep every night, wearing herself out in order to find away to free everyone from the Furies’ blood debt. What I liked most, however, was that Helen didn’t fall in to the trap of seeming like a complete self-sacrificial martyr. She was doing this out of pure determination to stop something she thought was completely unfair, and it wasn’t all flaky and wispy like it could have been. I liked the way she was defensive about her actions too because she really believed she was right (arrogance that cost her, but that’s a whole other can of worms) – especially when talking to Jason, who seemed a bit overbearing in this book.

I really liked the plot in Dreamless and loved the time Helen spent in the Underworld with Orion. It was really interesting exploring it and seeing how Helen could control her surroundings. I felt like this book was a lot more myth-based too, and we got to find out a lot of cool stuff about Greek mythology, which, as I’m a huge fan, I loved. Some things seemed so unfair and made me really feel for the characters, like when Lucas’s dad told him it was the Scions’ responsibility to have children whether they liked it or not. It was so horrible that they had these inescapable expectations – what if they didn’t want children? What would happen then? I did feel certain scenes seemed a little out of place, especially ones involving Zach, and I was slightly confused as to what was going on with him exactly. The book did drag in places, but was pretty easy to get through as a whole (though I have to admit, the text speak really hurt my heart :P).

Overall, I thought Dreamless was a compelling sequel and I’m looking forward to reading book three. Don’t let the cheesy tagline (UK cover) put you off, and definitely pick this up if you enjoyed the first book in the series.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read dreamless yet - although it is on my TBR pile. Like you I was put off when I heard about the love triangle but I think you've convinced me to move it to the top of my list :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks very exciting - I can't wait to actually get to it in my TBR pile! I am loving Orion already from what everyone's said <3 I want to meet him! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review, I'm reading this next after I finish Starcrossed--SO EXCITED! Glad you enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I have not patiently waited for this book, but it was SO WORTH IT! I loved it! There is a new dynamic in the story and boy is he hot!!! The book fills in some back-story, which I appreciated and felt it was needed and not wordy. The story flowed and didn't have the "draggy" parts that I often skim over. Only thing is now I have to wait for the final book in the trilogy and oooh is it going to be a good one! To keep me over I'm going to re-read the books! Very nice, Ms. Angelini, very nice indeed!
    SeaTac Limo Service

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)