Tuesday, 24 April 2012

Review: The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden #1) by Julie Kagawa
Publisher: HarlequinTEEN
Released: April 24th 2012
My Rating: 4.25 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

In a future world, Vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity.

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.
 (from Goodreads)

As a huge fan of the Iron Fey series, I was so excited to get the chance to read The Immortal Rules! I was a bit wary I wouldn’t like it as much, but I shouldn’t have worried because I really enjoyed it. Julie Kagawa has created some new awesome characters and a dark and ominous world, and I’m already excited for the next book in the series!

Allison was a great protagonist. Fierce, determined and not afraid to speak her mind, I found myself really liking Allison (even if I didn’t agree with her sometimes). She had lived a difficult life, always scavenging for food and always trying her to best to survive despite the danger she faced, so she was pretty tough and didn’t really trust people easily. She had a short temper at times, but I could understand why – she did so much and got so little gratitude for it. I did think she sometimes took some unnecessary risks – I didn’t know whether to think her a fool, or admire her! (The katana was bloody awesome though.) But she was definitely a relatable character – to be honest, as soon as she mentioned she liked The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (though the book was never mentioned by name), I knew I would like her :P. I really loved the way the book was split into different parts, because we got to see how Allison changed with each one – after she turned, she was faced with some big decisions, and it was great to see how each event affected her.

Kanin, the vampire who turned Allison, was quite intriguing. From the start, I knew he must have been a pretty powerful vampire, and I knew he was hiding something, but despite everything, I still found myself on his side. I liked the calm air he had, which must come with living for so many years. I loved the way he spoke too, and I don’t know. Even though, as a vampire, he’d obviously done some pretty bad things, I still couldn’t help but kind of like him. I really can’t wait to find out more and see what happens next – really hoping he appears again in the sequels! I’m curious about his motives for certain things...he was definitely an intriguing and mysterious character.

Zeke was a boy Allison met...on her travels, shall we say, and while I liked him, I think he’ll have to grow on me as a love interest. I was firmly Team Ash in the Iron Fey series, and Zeke was very different to the Winter Prince, so I think it’s gonna take some time for me to get used to him. I did like him though; he was funny and kind and really genuine – but could also switch into fight mode when he got serious about something, so he had a little bit of everything. My only problem with him is I felt he was a little naive, maybe? A little too idealstic and preachy. But, that being said, he did some things towards the end of the book that I respected and I did definitely like him more than when he was first introduced, and I’m looking forward to seeing what happens between him and Allison in the next book.

One of my favourite things about The Immortal Rules was that Allison was constantly reminded of the decision she had made to become a vampire instead of die. Even though she loathed vampires, who had taken everything good away from her, she still preferred to turn rather than die as a human. It made me think – I don’t know what I would have done in that situation. I also liked the way books were emphasised as really important – books were banned in vampire cities, but Allison was able to read, and it was her own way of rebelling and learning and keeping the knowledge that existed before vampires took over. There were some very cool parts to this book, and I just really loved the story! Can’t wait for sequel, since the ending set it up really well.

Overall, The Immortal Rules was a great take on vampires and a really engaging story – any fan of Julie’s previous work (or just vampire fans in general) should definitely check this out!

(Just a brief note on the excerpt included at the end from the first book in the new Iron Fey series [The Lost Prince] that features Ethan Chase as the new main character – it was awesome! Can’t wait to see what Julie has in store for us.)

9 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this one as well! I loved Allison, she was so kick ass. I liked Kanin a lot as well and I definitely hope we get to see more of him in the next book. I wasn't really a big fan of Zeke, I respected him for how much he had to deal with but I definitely agree with you in that I was Team Ash as well and Zeke was definitely no Ash. I can't wait to read the next book. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison was SO awesome! Much preferred her to Meghan. Not really a fan of Zeke either, and Kanin fell a little short for me, but overall I really enjoyed this.

    P.S: You'd definitely become a vampire :P

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought TIR was amazing. Allie and Kanin are both such exciting characters and I'm definitely looking forward to more Zeke ;) And I agree with you on the vamp & book points ;) Great review!

    Lisa | Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG THE LOST PRINCE. DID YOU SEE THE COVER?! When did little Ethan become so hot? O_O

    I'm glad this one didn't disappoint you! I'm still reading but I'm really liking it so far! Allison is a much different character than Meghan (I guess that happens when you spend your life struggling to survive) and I love how fierce she is! Kanin is SO intriguing and I just want to read more and more and more about him. I can't wait to meet Zeke and see for myself what everyone's been talking about! Hopefully he grows on you even more in the next book :) FABULOUS review!

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alison is already rocking from the first page. I am loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to go into hiding until I don't have to hear about this one anymore. There is soooo much hype surrounding this book and now everyone is reviewing it and loving it. I just can't wrap my brain around how vampires are becoming cool and acceptable in this story. I mean it is so overdone in YA that I just don't see how this came together to be a book everyone is loving. I guess I shall have to just give Kawaga a chance to wow me. Guess I have to take a shot on this one. 500 bloggers can be wrong can they? lol

    Thanks for the great review, sorry for my mini rant I just don't see how this is so popular. Guess Kagawa started her fan base with Iron King and everything just grew from that day on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome review, Liz!! I really enjoyed this. Kanin was definitely the one who fascinated me the most, BRODIE WANT MOOOOOOORE! Zeke was a nice guy and I LIKED him, but as with you, he still needs to grow on me to create that.... spark? Allie was awesme though. And badass. And can I has a katana like her? :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed this one too... Agreed in that the katana was bloody awesome. I never read the Iron Fey series though... I really think I should. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this book. Kanin was my favorite character. I didn't always agree with Allie either, but I could understand her viewpoint given her life experience.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)