Tuesday, 6 March 2012

Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith
Publisher: Headline
Released: January 5th 2012
My Rating: 4.75 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Imagine if she hadn't forgotten the book. Or if there hadn't been traffic on the expressway. Or if she hadn't fumbled the coins for the toll. What if she'd run just that little bit faster and caught the flight she was supposed to be on. Would it have been something else - the weather over the Atlantic or a fault with the plane?

Hadley isn't sure if she believes in destiny or fate but, on what is potentially the worst day of each of their lives, it's the quirks of timing and chance events that mean Hadley meets Oliver...

Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.
(from Goodreads)

So I’m not entirely sure how to write this review. Not because I didn’t like the book (I freaking LOVED it) but because I don’t know how to justify my intense adoration for it. I’m a notorious hater of insta-love, and the events in this novel take place over the course of twenty-four hours. But guys...it didn’t feel like insta-love. Probably because it wasn’t love. It was the beginnings of it. The start of a new relationship you know will be awesome and fantastic. The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight was the story of how Hadley and Oliver met – what happens after that, we don’t know. And we don’t need to know – because that first meeting, their first day together, was enough for me. Just awesome.

Hadley was a character I could easily relate to. I could understand how she was feeling and why she was so upset with her dad remarrying so quickly after the divorce with her mum. I think I’d probably feel the same way if I were her (though Hadley’s sarcastic remarks were much better than mine would have been :P) and it was because of this that I really enjoyed seeing the effect Oliver’s influence had on her and how she slowly began to change and start to realise that while her dad definitely did stupid things and wasn’t perfect, she still loved him and didn’t want to shut him out of her life anymore. I think Hadley grew up a lot in those twenty-four hours - and it didn’t seem completely unrealistic. Okay, some things she did seemed a bit odd, but I could believe why Hadley began to change her mind about her dad. It was something that could really happen to anyone in life, and I think Hadley was quite brave to do what she did. I don’t know if I could have been as mature and forgiving.

Oliver. Omg, Oliver. He. Was. So. Cute. I ADORED him! He was hilarious, sweet, kind, awesome and just amazingly lovely, and knew exactly how to make Hadley feel better. He was going through his own stuff too, that he didn’t share with Hadley right away, but he still tried to stay positive and cheer Hadley up with some ridiculous conversation about koalas or mayonnaise. I liked him from the first moment he was introduced to the very last page where everything was wrapped up. The spark, the chemistry between Oliver and Hadley when the met was so, so brilliant and well-written - the kind that you know could only mean the start of a great love story. And while this was only the start, there was this warm feeling in my stomach that made me feel like these two would be okay, that things would work out for them. This was the kind of romance you daydream about when you’re in the middle of a boring class, or when you’re sitting at home on a rainy day – the awesomest kind there is.

The writing style in The Probability of Love at First Sight was quite unusual (third person present tense, which I don’t think I’ve ever come across before). It took a bit of getting used to, but I grew to love it and appreciate the effect it had on the story and on us as readers. I think you just need to read this book to understand what I mean (and you should definitely, definitely read this book). The story also flowed really well, and I loved the way it all played out. It was cool how Hadley and Oliver kept running into each other, and how when they were apart, they were still thinking of each other. Their first encounter definitely connected the two together – there was something between them, and they both knew it.

Overall, The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight was an amazing read that everyone – even cynics (I’m a cynic, I swear, but this book has the power to make anyone gush and smile) – need to read. I hope it makes you all feel all warm and fuzzy inside, like it did me. Comes with my highest recommendation. 

10 comments:

  1. I REALLY NEED to read this book, your review is great! It sounds really good, with all the fate and destiny etc.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWWWW <3 Now I want to re-read this! You're totally right, this book is for even haters of insta love.

    Isn't Oliver THE CUTEST? I'm sure the whole British thing is lost on you :P but wow, he's adorable. There was definitely something between Hadley and Oliver and I love the way Jennifer portrayed that. It was simple and effortless and just... gah. Somehow realistic.

    I neeed to read another Jennifer E. Smith book. Great review! :)

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one so I'm glad to see you enjoyed it as well. I agree that I also liked that you saw the start of a relationship forming. I loved the writing and the relationship between Hadley and Oliver was so adorable. I love books that take place over one day. Awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hee, I started grinning when I began reading your Oliver paragraph :D :D :D I FREAKING ADORE HIM SO MUCH!!! Every scene he and Hadley shared had me flipping back a page to reread again and again before continuing on. Those two were sigh-worthy <3 Hahaha what Sonia said about the British thing being lost on you, but oh SWOON. British accent!

    Brillsome review, Liz! I am so excited for whatever Jennifer has to offer know, I know it will be amazing <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! It's so awesome that you've FINALLY read this book! Oliver, Oliver, Oliver, I can never get enough of him. Or hearing about him. I pretty much had the same reaction as Brodie. And you're right this book totally didn't feel like instalove AT ALL. And it wasn't JUST ABOUT THE ROMANCE. It was about relationships in general, with family and I just, oh, gosh I loved this book. I'm so happy to see that you loved it so much ! <333

    Asher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay . . . I need to read this book soon. Heard nothing but HIGH PRAISES for this title. Anyway great review, Liz! Glad to hear you're yet another reader with nothing but good things to say about this novel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! So glad you loved it too. Your right it doesn't feel like instant love and more like the beginnings of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must agree about the tense. The third person present tense was a combination I'm not used to seeing or reading. But it definitely worked for this story.

    Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a fan of instant love in YA but I feel like this book didn't have instant love even though the whole book takes place in one day. The characters just seemed very smart and of course I loved that they were both dealing with real life problems. Lately, everything centers around a teenage girl having to deal with getting supernatural powers so it was nice for some real life problems to take place for once!

    I really liked this one because at times I was laughing and falling in love and at others I was crying and hurting right along with the characters. Such a great read for a short book.

    Thanks for the great review, I'm glad you liked this one as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! I'm so glad you loved this one. I adored it. Isn't it amazing that it doesn't feel like insta-love? I'm so impressed with how she wrote this book.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)