Wednesday, 22 February 2012

Waiting on Wednesday #43


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne
June 5th 2012
Find it on Goodreads

Fourteen kids. One superstore. A million things that go wrong.

A huge store isn’t the worst place to be stranded. There’s food and water, bedding and books. But what if it’s not safe to leave? Emmy Laybourne had us from the get-go with her utterly fresh and fast-paced debut.

Six high school kids (some popular, some not), two eighth graders (one a tech genius), and six little kids are trapped together in a chain superstore. Together they build a refuge for themselves inside, while outside, a series of escalating disasters, beginning with a monster hailstorm and ending with a chemical weapon spill, seems to be tearing the world—as they know it—apart.
(from Goodreads)

The premise of this one sounds great! Being trapped in a superstore full of food and toys and lots of stuff to do doesn't sound like it'd be so bad, but from the sound of the synopsis, I'm guessing things definitely aren't as simple as that (the clues: "escalating disasters" and "tearing the world - as they know it - apart" :P). Can't wait to see how everybody copes and to find out what exactly happened to leave them all trapped in the first place (and what would happen if they dared try to leave).

What are you waiting on this week?

9 comments:

  1. I think this sounds good as well and unlike anything I've read, which is always a good thing :-)

    Safari Poet

    ReplyDelete
  2. True story: I used to imagine and plan for the event if I ever had to move into a superstore, which one would I choose, which one would be best for sleeping in, etc. Strange child I was. Anyways, yeah this one sounds good, haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES I love the sound of this one. I can imagine mini territories setting up in the aisles. The cooler you are, the better your aisle. The awesome kids get the alcohol/chocolate aisles and the lame ones get the freezer aisles.

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard too much about Monument 14 yet, but I'll have to be on the lookout for more reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this one sounds promising, but I wonder if the impact will be diluted by the fact that there are 14 'protagonists.' Nice pick!

    If you’d like, you can check out my WoW here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one does sound good but I read a book similar to this except it was zombies overtaking the world as they knew it so I think I will pass on this one for now and possibly come back to it on a later date.

    I hope you enjoy this WOW book once it releases!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brodie want. Brodie want. Brodie want. I love end-of-world, survival type stories and seriously? A superstore? Where BETTER to be stranded?! Plus the cover looks amazing. Can't wait for this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got an eARC of this for review and eeeeee, I'm excited!!! I can't wait to see the transition from "HAHA, LOOK, TOYS!" to "hey... guys... maybe we should ration this food before we all die. Just saying." Awesome pick! :D Your comments after the summary just made me even MOARRR excited so I think I better step away before my homework becomes neglected (tooooo late). Great selection!

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this post. It is Very nice Blog. I like it. Thanks for sharing knowledge. Ask you to share good Blog again.
    printing services

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)