Monday, 6 February 2012

Review: Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky #1) by Veronica Rossi
Publisher: Atom
Released: February 7th 2012
My Rating: 4.25 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

WORLDS KEPT THEM APART.

DESTINY BROUGHT THEM TOGETHER.

Aria has lived her whole life in the protected dome of Reverie. Her entire world confined to its spaces, she's never thought to dream of what lies beyond its doors. So when her mother goes missing, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland long enough to find her are slim.

Then Aria meets an outsider named Perry. He's searching for someone too. He's also wild - a savage - but might be her best hope at staying alive.

If they can survive, they are each other's best hope for finding answers.
 (from Goodreads)

Under the Never Sky was a captivating read, and a great start to a new series. I’ve already added the sequel to my to-read list on Goodreads!

All Aria has ever known is life in the Realms. She’s never left the safety of her dome, Reverie, and has never wanted to either. That is until her mother goes missing on a nearby dome called Bliss. Aria is determined to find out what happened to her mother, but her efforts cause her to be thrown out of Reverie into the real world – a world she isn’t designed for. Where diseases can’t be controlled and where emotion and pain are more than just fleeting sensations. Aria then meets Perry – an Outsider – who is also looking for someone close to him. They reluctantly form an alliance, but it’s clear they don’t trust each other. To Aria, Perry is a Savage; a monster who kills with no mercy. To Perry, Aria is just a Dweller; a naive little dome girl who has never truly experienced any hardship. Can they work together, and more importantly, will they ever find who they’re looking for?

Under the Never Sky was told from two points of view: Aria’s and Perry’s. I liked the fact we got to see from both their perspectives, because it made it clear how different the lives Aria and Perry led were. Before Aria was thrown out of Reverie, she’d never really experienced the true world. She’d never seen fire outside of the Realms, and rarely touched anyone with her real bare hands. The Realms were a little hard for me to understand; I didn’t really get how they worked (sort of virtual realms of existence, where you could experience anything you wanted?) and I didn’t understand how they came into being (or why some people, like Perry, still lived like normal outside the domes and Realms). I also was kind of confused as to what happened to people’s real bodies while their minds/consciousnesses were in the Realms  (the whole fracturing thing was lost on me) – everything was sort of vaguely explained and I wasn’t quite sure about it all. Despite this, though, I thought it was a very interesting concept, and made a good basis for the story. It was great to read about Aria experiencing the real world for the first time. At first she hated it, and couldn’t understand why people would ever live in such a way. As time went on, however, she grew accustomed to the Outsiders’ way of life, and learnt to appreciate real feelings, real emotions, real pain and real pleasure. Everything was sort of enhanced for her, and I think she began to change her mind and question everything she’d ever previously known. I liked the way that, even though she was chucked into a completely new environment she knew nothing about, she never gave up her search for her mother and was willing to do anything to find her. In that way, Perry and Aria, despite being from completely different worlds, were actually very similar – they were both desperate to find the person they cared about.

Perry was looking for his nephew, Talon, who’d been snatched from him by Dwellers while they were hunting. I really liked the way Perry cared for Talon – they had a special bond and Perry would do anything to protect his nephew. He really loved him and it was sweet seeing that side of him. Perry was a bit hot-headed and made a few rash decisions at times, but he mostly tried to keep collected and do the best thing for everyone. What I really liked was that when he and Aria first met, they didn’t like each other at all. Perry completely ignored Aria and Aria didn’t care what he thought about her. But they were forced to spend time together, and eventually things began to change between them. They sort of grew on each other, and began to see things they’d missed before. The way Perry perceived Aria was really interesting, because he understood people on a deeper level than most because of his Sense (more on this later). While maybe the transition seemed a little out of the blue, the romance that blossomed was slow and sweet and you could that they both care about each other a lot.

Roar, one of Perry’s friends and allies, was probably my favourite secondary character. He was hilarious and such a good friend too! He was there for Perry and always willing to help him out. He also helped Aria through a lot of difficult things, and tried to understand her even though she was different and unused to the world he was from. I really loved him and I felt so sad that he couldn’t be with the one person he loved the most. I can’t wait to read more about him!

The powers the Outsiders possessed were fascinating, and I loved reading about these strange gifts that they had. Certain people had abilities called Senses, in which one of their five senses was enhanced beyond normal human capability. It was so strange to see how these abilities affected their everyday lives – and I sort of wished I had powers too!

The story was crazy. Most of it was great and well-paced, but at the end something happened that made my mouth literally drop. This one scene changed everything. The thing that got me most though, was that this aspect was just glossed over. Literally, a line was spent on it. Totally mindblown. Now I’m excited for the sequel, because surely this HAS to come up.  It can’t be ignored. (I realise this vagueness probably makes no sense to you, but trust me, you will understand once you reach the end of this book).

Overall, Under the Never Sky was an engaging read that got me really invested in the characters and story. Recommended!

10 comments:

  1. ROOOOAAARRR! It's an automatic reaction - whenever I hear his name I feel compelled to roar it in caps lock haha. I SO adored him and am demanding a spin-off already!

    Anyway, YAY!! Soo happy you loved this, Liz! It's one of my favourite reads of 2012 and I am itching to get my hands on the sequel. I LOVED how Aria and Perry's relationship developed.. I'm such a sucker for the hate-turned-love romances :)

    Fantastic review, you brillsome Brit! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I have this one on my reading stack but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll definitely have to get to it soon though as it sounds really good and your review has made me more excited to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't been a huge fan of this, hoping it gets better? I really need to read the second half! Great review though, I feel a bit more optimistic about it now I know you love it so much.

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh this does sound good and such excellent reviews of it. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you enjoyed this! It was an awesome debut novel and man . . . I want the sequel pronto! Like RIGHT NOW! haha. Anyway great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you loved this one so much. I read some pretty mixed reviews a while back, but lately I've been hearing all good things, so might have to check it out! Not a fan of that cover, though... :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Roar! He definitely was a great character. :) So glad to see you enjoyed this as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one definitely has my interest now! I like the idea of the two different worlds and that outsiders are seen as savages, even if the whole Realm thing was kind of fuzzy. And it seems like Roar is pretty popular, and I always love secondary characters, so that basically seals the deal for me. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone seems so confused about the inner workings of this world :P It doesn't seem like it was tooo much of an issue though, so I guess that's good.

    All of these characters sound wonderful! ROAR IS THE COOLEST NAME EVERRRR <3

    Great review, Liz! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG the ending of this one sounds like the ending of Mara Dyer! You go along thinking one thing the whole time until the very end when the whole thing is just turned upside down!

    This does sound epic so I'm glad I have a copy of this one already.

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)