Tuesday, 21 February 2012

Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian (Lux #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Released: November 29th 2011
My Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don’t kill him first, that is. (from Goodreads)

Obsidian, my dear readers, was a book made of awesome. The first thing I thought when I finished it? “Now THAT’S how a love-hate relationship should be done.” Seriously. One of the best I’ve read. Kat and Daemon had the most AMAZING chemistry. Their fighting was absolutely hilarious, to the point where I was actually almost crying from tears of laughter (the phrase “bitch switch” is fantastic. I need to use it more often). I just loved it! Loved it!

Kat was a brilliant character. She was funny (oh my God, so funny. Her narration was EXCELLENT) and get this – a blogger! She was a blogger! With Waiting on Wednesdays and In My Mailboxes and everything. Stroke of genius, Jennifer. Way to get the entire blogging community to love you (not that we don’t already – I mean, you wrote Half-Blood, after all). I don’t know if regular readers will quite understand all the blogging references, but I personally could relate to Kat a lot more because of it. She shared the love of reading all we book bloggers have (and Daemon thought it was cute, so there you go :P). Speaking of Daemon...Kat and Daemon have become one of my favourite pairings. I’ve already said they were hilarious, but just for effect – they were HILARIOUS.  I loved that Kat didn’t just sit back and take Daemon’s crap – she stood up for herself and insulted him right back (so, so amusing). She wasn’t the spineless type, and I liked her strong will and determination. She wasn’t just a girl of words, but a girl of action too!

Daemon was...pure hotness? I mentally swooned a couple times. Even with all his arrogance and insults (funny, funny insults), I always felt that he secretly enjoyed arguing with Kat. That he found it amusing (I certainly did). And the chemistry, the sexual tension! Throughout the whole book, there was that whole “I hate you, but I like you” vibe going on, and it was quite clear that at some point these two were going to cave and act on their feelings (lusty, lusty feeling) for each other. But it wasn’t just the arguing and tension that was awesome, it was the little things too. Daemon always did these little things that seemed like nothing but actually just showed that he did really care about Kat. It was almost...sweet? At times? I don’t know. 
Whatever, just read the book. Daemon + Kat = better than ice-cream. Jennifer has a way with words.

Dee, Daemon’s sister and Kat’s new bff, was possibly one of the loveliest people ever. Starved for friendship, she was just so sweet and caring and adored Kat as a best friend! There was a real bond between the two, and you could tell Dee really cared about Kat even though they hadn’t been friends for that long. I wish I knew someone like Dee! She was also pretty funny too and liked making things awkward for Kat but brining up her brother all the time :P.

The story was actually a lot more developed than I thought it’d be. Apart from the fact that the planet Daemon came from was called “Lux”, which is Latin for “light”, which is, you know, an EARTH language, I thought the alien/sci-fi aspect was done very well – well enough that non sci-fi fans could definitely still enjoy this book. The Luxen seemed like believable life-forms, and their forms/powers were described pretty well. There’s still a little more explanation needed, but I reckon we’ll get that later on in the series. The whole thing with the Arum (basically, alien bad guys) intrigues me, and I can’t wait to find out more!

Overall, Obsidian was fabulous, splendid, superb start to a new series, and I’m already dying for the sequel, Onyx. I’ve literally read all the teasers on Jennifer’s site at least twice! Highly recommended, to all fans of YA.

10 comments:

  1. I have this one on my reading pile but haven't gotten to it yet. I'll definitely be bumping it up so I can get to it sooner. Your review has definitely made me more excited to read it.

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED your review so much...I think I really need to read this one. I LOVE me some love/hate relationships and if you say this is one of the best then...well I believe you XD Definitely my next kindle purchase :P

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing review! You've literally just sold this book to me - I bought it the second I finished reading this post. I'm really looking forward to it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so jealous right now. You know I liked Half-Blood and loved Pure so I really want to read this series. I just love when two characters do not get along at first and have those epic hilarious fights until they fall for one another! Example: Perfect Chemistry!

    Sigh I really want to fit this one into my reading schedule soon!

    Thanks for the great review, glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HEHE!!! LIZ! I don't think you could have said this any better - AMAZING review! I absolutely LOVED this. The sexual tension between Daemon and Katy was off. the. freaking. charts. I was internally SCREAMING at them to GODDAMN KISS ALREADY! And then. They did. And HOT HOT HOT.

    I adored Dee aswell!! <3 And alien stuff really intrigues me, even if I don't read it as often as I'd like. I really enjoyed Jennifer's mythology. And did I mention I REALLY ENJOYED DAEMON?

    Your review made me laugh :D Love it. NOW HOW DO WE GET OUR HANDS ON ONYX?

    ReplyDelete
  6. loved this book! Daemon is hot hot hot. :)

    Great review Liz

    LALAINE'S FICBOOKREVIEWS

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure about this book (despite the high starred reviews) but you've convinced me. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. You actually just convinced me to put in a request for this book. I can't wait to read it! It sounds hilarious and I already love the sound of the dynamic between Kat and Daemon.

    + OMG, SHE'S A BOOK BLOGGER? I remember reading that in a few places before but... WoW? IMM? I DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS SO ACTUALLY THERE! :D That is so crazy exciting. Wow, talk about being able to relate to a character on a personal level :P

    Awesome review, Liz! <3

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG - seriously love that the girl in this book is a book blogger!! I love love/hate relationships too. Adds to all the tension!

    I'm kind of over guys called Daemon or variations thereof in YA (Damon/Damen...there are SO many!) but it he's hot, I guess I'll get over it!

    Great review, Liz!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a bit concerned that this might be too sci-fi for me. You have given a very powerful argument in your review *hot guy* *book blogger* that I think I am going to have to give it a try

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)