Friday, 16 December 2011

Review: Settling by Shelley Workinger

Settling (Solid #2) by Shelley Workinger
Publisher: CreateSpace
Released: July 4th 2011
My Rating: 3.75 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

At the beginning of the summer, Clio Kaid was one of a hundred teens brought to a secret Army installation. But it was no ordinary camp and they weren’t ordinary kids…

Picking up where “Solid” left off, Clio and her friends realize that they aren’t ready to go home; they’re determined to stay on campus and continue their journey of self- discovery. But someone doesn’t feel the same way and will do anything to drive them away – even kill.

Friendships will be tested, abilities will evolve, and more secrets will come out as the teens race to stop the killer before he sets his sights on one of them…
(from Goodreads)

Settling was a great follow up to Solid, and I was really excited to return to Clio’s world! All the characters were back and I felt we got to find out a few things about them that we didn’t see in the first book. Clio, for me, was quite different in this one. She was troubled, and on occasion acted quite selfishly which affected her likeability factor – I was a bit shocked at certain points about how bold she was being! But I still found she was easy to relate to, and a great main character. The fact that she had a great relationship with her mother was a big plus for me too, because it was nice to see a parent trying to be involved in their child’s life – these days, parents seem to be mysteriously absent in a lot of books.  Being away from her mother, I could also kind of understand why Clio was feeling torn and acting the way she was – Jack, who was so sweet and adorable and basically the best boyfriend you could ask for, was gone a lot of the time, and Clio was feeling left out and lonely, and was unwittingly ignoring her friends at the same time. While I don’t condone what she did, I think at least she faced up to it and realised it was wrong. But maybe I’m biased, because I really loved Ford (a character I liked right from the moment he was introduced) and I enjoyed all moments between him and Clio (I’m a sucker for the bad/mysterious types!). I’m really curious as to what will happen between Clio, Ford and Jack next – especially after that ending! Shelley Workinger really knows how to pull you into the story – I was so sad the book ended because I just wanted to keep reading to find out what happened next!

Garrett was still my favourite character. I don’t know what it was about him, but he was just awesome and hilarious and I loved every single scene he was in! His relationship troubles were quite funny and great to read about too, and I think he really helped make the book for me. It definitely wouldn’t be the same without him! Alex was another character I liked – she came up with this really interesting theory about the difference between everyone’s powers and how it might be because of different blood types, and I just thought she was really cool! Clever and quirky – definitely the kind of person I’d like to get know.

Settling was slower-pace that Solid but I quite liked it and I found that even though this was a book about genetically modified teenagers, it wasn’t all crazy, hyped-action all the time; there was still that element of teen life there, with normal teen problems and issues that everyone goes through at some point in their life. I think this made the book seem more realistic and believable, and definitely helped me connect to the characters and really feel involved within the story. I also found that the mystery was a lot more exciting in this one – in the first book, I sort of predicted the ending half-way through, but I wasn’t so sure this time and though I guessed a few things, there was a lot I didn’t see coming! I really enjoyed following Clio’s journey as she discovered more about herself and her powers, and I’m anxious to discover the full extent of what she can do!  The ending was also very good and I’m really excited to read the next book.

Overall, Settling was a fabulous sequel that I enjoyed just as much as the first book! I think this is a great series and would definitely recommend it! 

1 comment:

  1. I so need to read Solid! This sounds like a really engaging series and I like that there is still plenty of adolescent normality mixed in with the whole genetically-modified aspect.

    I totally agree on the parent note! So often they're either suspiciously missing or else just ridiculously blind to what's going on in their kids life. It's refreshing when there's a strong parent/child relationship.

    Fantastic review, Liz!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)