Tuesday, 13 December 2011

Review: Malfunction by Alex Woolf

Malfunction (Chronosphere #2) by Alex Woolf
Publisher: The Salariya Book Company
Released: September 1st 2011
My Rating: 3.5 out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

The second book in the exciting Chronosphere series sees a mysterious malfunction ravage the Chronosphere. It starts slowly at first, with meals being served cold and food going off, then residents start to notice the blistering heat and haywire android servants. Soon the entire Chronosphere is malfunctioning, causing a complete breakdown of society and the eruption of a fierce turf war between rival gangs. Caught in the middle of the crossfire are Raffi Delgado and his fellow chrononauts Dario, Sal, Jonah and Lastara. With the help of familiar faces and old enemies, they put into place a brave rescue attempt, but in doing so the dark truth about the source of the Malfunction and the real aims of the Chronomaster become all too clear. (from Amazon UK)

Raffi’s life in the Chronosphere is pleasant – but after doing the same thing every day, he’s starting to get bored. Then the Malfunction happens, and things begin to take a turn for the worse. With sweltering hot weather, food shortages and only two hours of sunlight each day, Raffi starts to think leaving the Chronosphere might be the best option for everyone. Sal, however, is determined to find her sister and of course Dario will follower her wherever she goes. Soon Raffi and his friends realise leaving may not even be an option anymore – the MAIDs have gone crazy, the doors are shut and a full-blown war is on the verge of breaking out. Raffi entered the Chronosphere to escape his life, not to lose it. Now he must find a way to safely get out of the paradise that has become his prison.

Malfunction was a nice follow up to Time Out of Time. All the old characters were back, and there was a handy summary of everything that happened in book one on the first few pages to refresh your memory. I found that in this book, we got a little more back-story on a few the characters, which I really enjoyed reading about. Raffi changed a bit too; he was still quite quick to jump to conclusions but I think he learnt a lot more about his friends and why they acted the way they did. I liked how we got to find out more about Sal and her sister, Anna – Sal was really determined to rescue her and I admired her strength and dedication. I’m really curious to know what happened to Anna and why she ended up incarcerated in the first place. The mystery surrounding her makes me want to read the next book now so I can understand what happened!

There was quite a bit more violence in comparison to the first book (which was very well done in my opinion), and the problems started to get really serious. Raffi had to deal with a lot of things and it was just so ironic that he came into to Chronosphere to relax and be problem free and found that it was actually worse than the outside world, and now all he wanted to do was the leave the place behind. I felt really bad for him, and some of the things that happened made me wonder how humans would really act in the same situation. People always try to think the best of others, but when put in such positions, who knows what a person would do to survive. It’s kind of scary when you think about it.

The plot in Malfunction was faster in pace than Time Out of Time, and there was a lot more action and suspense. There were also quite a few little plot twists that I didn’t see coming, and thought were quite clever. The main problem I had with the book was the same problem I had with the first one – the way time was explained. I just found it really hard to imagine how all these curious time devices worked and how it was possible to manipulate time in such a way. I realise that it’s not actually possible but I felt the explanations sometimes made my eyes glaze over. I don’t think this took away from the story though and I had no trouble understanding the main storyline.

Overall, Malfunction was exciting and engaging, and a must read for those who enjoyed the first book. The third book in the series sounds great and I’m anxious to find out what happens next!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this before! Thanks for sharing!

    Here's my review of Incarnate. Stop by and leave your thoughts?!

    http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/arc-review-incarnate.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh definitely even more intrigued by this series now! I'm glad to hear it's even more fast-paced and violent than the first book(I'm not violent in person, honest! I just like... reading it haha)And filled with unexpected plot twists (the best kind!). Glad you're enjoying these books, excellent review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)