Thursday, 22 December 2011

Review: Fracture by Megan Miranda

Fracture by Megan Miranda
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Released: January 5th 2012
My Rating: 4 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

By the time Delaney Maxwell was pulled from a Maine lake’s icy waters by her best friend, Decker Phillips, her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead.

But somehow Delaney survived—despite the brain scans that show irreparable damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be fine, but she knows she’s far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can’t control or explain, Delaney now finds herself drawn to the dying, and when she meets Troy Varga, a boy who recently emerged from a coma with the same abilities, she is relieved to share this strange new existence. Unsure if her altered brain is predicting death or causing it, Delaney must figure out if their gift is a miracle, a freak of nature—or something else much more frightening… 
(from Goodreads)

Delaney Maxwell should be dead. After eleven minutes without oxygen in an ice-cold lake, no-one expects her to survive, let alone recover as if nothing ever happened. But though Delaney might feel fine, something has changed. Her brain scans show abnormalities, and she’s experiencing odd, overwhelming feelings. Soon Delaney realises that she feels connected to those who are about to die - and what’s worse is she can’t do anything to help them. The weirdest thing , though, is that she’s not the only one. Troy Varga seems to possess the same strange abilities that Delaney does, and she finds comfort in sharing her experiences with him. But Troy’s past is dark and painful – who is he really, and why is he so interested in Delaney?

Fracture is what I call heart-pumping. The first page drew me in and from that moment on, I was completely engrossed in the story. It was actually a lot darker than I expected it to be – I really had little idea what Fracture was about before I started reading it, so it was surprisingly eerie (which I liked). The descriptions of Delaney’s accident and her pain were so vivid, I could really imagine what was happening, which was almost disturbing because what was happening was quite scary at times. Death was quite a prominent theme throughout, so there were a lot of issues explored that really made me think about things.

Delaney, for me, was not the most likeable of characters. She was pretty blunt and a lot of the time just said whatever came to her mind without really thinking it through. She was also a bit hypocritical at certain points, like when she thought that she could kiss a guy and that would be fine, but her best friend, Decker, kissing another girl was some kind of horrible betrayal. She and Decker weren’t even together, so while I understand why she’d be upset, I just think some of her actions were unnecessary. That being said, it was clear Decker and Delaney had been skirting around each other for years – I knew that he liked her from the beginning. I mean, he cried when he found out she had woken up from her coma. So I don’t really know what Decker was doing, but I thought their whole relationship was a little messed up. Which, of course, was why it was so interesting. While Delaney may not have been the most likeable character, I don’t think this took away from the story, and I could still relate to her. So her friendship with Decker was fascinating to read about. Decker was probably my favourite character in the book; he was sweet and funny and obviously cared a lot for Delaney. I liked him from the start (to the point where Troy was never even considered as an alternative love interest, because Decker was already leagues ahead). I loved all his interactions with Delaney and they were so suited for each other (in my opinion) that I kind of wanted to jump into the story, shake them both and yell, “Get together already!”

However, the romance in Fracture wasn’t the main focus of the story. There were a lot of other things going on that Delaney had to deal with – Troy being one of them. Troy was definitely an interesting (but creepy) character. I didn’t know what to make of him after his first appearance. He introduced himself quite randomly, and with a lot of confidence. And as we got to know him more, there was definitely a hint of something sinister about him. I don’t think I ever fully trusted him, and he did a lot of weird things that got me really curious – just what exactly was he up to? Why was he so determined to get Delaney to like him? It was all just very odd, and I enjoyed seeing the mystery unravel. I also really liked seeing how differently Delaney and Troy viewed their abilities. The way Troy approached those who were dying was completely different from Delaney’s way of doing things, and it was interesting to see them clash about it.

My only real problem with Fracture was the ending. It felt a bit incomplete to me, and it seemed like nothing had really been solved – especially with some of Delaney’s friends, who were really mad at her. A lot was left unexplained too, like why Delaney fell a pull towards the dying in the first place, and I was left wondering whether this was actually the first book in a series (I’m pretty sure it’s not). However, I did enjoy it a lot as a whole, and don’t think the ending affected the book too much.

Overall, Fracture was a very intriguing, quite unusual story that had me reading for hours without a break. I’d recommend it to fans of YA that’s a little darker than most, or maybe to anyone who enjoyed The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting. 

8 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading this one soon. I really love the premise! Sorry to hear the ending is a bit of a letdown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so intrigued with this book! Hopefully Ill enjoy this as much as you did. I like to lose myself in dark stories like this one, great review Liz!x

    ♥Ficbookreviews♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds really intriguing, sorry to hear that the ending was kind of disappointing. I'll definitely still give this one a try when it comes out though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh this sounds really good! I've been waiting on your review ever since I saw this in your IMM, so I'm glad to hear it's a winner! I love that you describe it as 'heart-pumping' I love those edge-of-your-seart, eerie kind of stories. And the way the romance affected you... sounds deliciously frustrating! :D Very curious to learn more about this Troy character too.

    Brillsome review, Liz! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really looking forward to this one. It sounds like my kind of book since I love the Body Finder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I realize that I actually had no idea what this was about before now... it sounds really, really interesting! I'm getting that Body Finder vibe from your review and I can't wait to read that eeriness :) Great review!

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fracture is heart-pumping? That line definitely convinced me! I'm glad to know that this is worth it. I didn't get a review copy but I'll try to grab a copy when it's released! Great review, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Normally you saying it was darker YA would have made me bypass the book. Now-a-days I'm actually liking the darker story lines so this one will probably be one that I really enjoy.

    Thank you for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)