Thursday, 15 December 2011

International Covers #3

International Covers in a kind of irregular feature on the blog where I take a look at some covers from around the world!

The Future of Us by Jay Asher & Carolyn Mackler
Released in UK: January 5th 2012
Find it on Goodreads                 

                              US                         vs                         UK

I actually like both of these! The US one, because it's quite unusual, and definitely relates to the whole technology aspect of the book, and the UK one because it's just really eye-catching, and I like the whole colouring and the drawing/doodle aspect of it. I also think it's cool how the same image is used in both, but for completely different purposes! If I had to choose, I'd probably go with the UK one.

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #1) by Maggie Stiefvater
Released in UK: October 5th 2009
Find it on Goodreads

                               US                          vs                       Bulgarian

                         German                        vs                    Indonesian

                                 UK                         vs                      French

                             Polish                       vs                      Italian 1

                       Italian 2                       vs                 Portuguese

Spanish

There are so many covers for Shiver! Quite a few that I like. The German one is really pretty and I love the warm colours used (in contrast to the blues/whites used in most of the others). I also really love the Spanish one which is like the US cover, but more appealing, for me (I think because instead of pure white, greyish colours are used for the background). The French cover is really cool (but I'm not sure about its relevance to the story...) and so is the first Italian one! I like how it's a claw mark going through the heart. My least favourite is probably the second Italian one - it's really...odd? I dunno, but the half wolf, half human face just looks creepy to me.

Which covers are your favourites? Any you don't like?

9 comments:

  1. Despite the accuracy of the US one, I actually like the UK one. It's much more fun-looking and certainly draws the eye. I like the 'colouring' very much :P

    And my favorite of the Shiver covers has to be the German one. So pretty! I had no idea that there were THIS MANY covers for this book though. That's insane!

    - Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the UK cover for The Future of US. The US cover didn't make the book appeal to me at all, but as soon as I saw the UK cover I wanted to read it. Lol! Shallow? Moi?!

    There are SO many covers for Shiver! I like the German one, and the Indonesian is cute (I like the wolf on that one!), but I really like the UK cover too. Not a huge fan of the US covers for that series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I own the UK cover for The Future of Us which I prefer. It stands out more. But there's so many covers for Shiver! I prefer the US cover because it was the reason why I picked up the book and why I loved it so much. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the UK cover for Shiver and both for the Future of US. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing how different book covers are in various countries! As with you, I like both covers of TFOU, but the UK (it's the AU one too, yay!) is more eye-popping and vibrant, which I prefer.

    I love the claw mark through the heart on the French cover of Shiver. I have Shiver and Linger in UK and Forever is the odd one out in red with the US cover... but I probably have to say I like the US and UK covers better, because I just associate it with the book now and plus they're pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like both covers for The Future of Us too! This is actually my first time seeing the UK cover but I love the vibrancy and doodles. Oh, and the tagline! That said, I think I prefer the US one. It seems to go really well with the story and the codes in the background actually look pretty cool.

    I love the German cover! I also really like the US covers for the series though. They're simple but eye-catching. The UK are basically the same for me.

    Haha, I see what they were trying to do with the 2nd Italian cover but you're right - it's creepy. I also think the Portugese cover looks more like a non-fiction textbook on climate and cold areas than it does a YA book.

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is interesting to see all of the different covers from around the world. It is fun to see how each country has their own take on what the cover should look like, yet most of them have the same theme going on.

    Thanks for a look at all the pretty covers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I don't really like the UK cover of The Story of Us; it sort of has an MG feel to me.

    As for Shiver, I love the Bulgarian version the most. It sort of has this creepy feel to it that relates to how weird Sam's experience is. The German version is the prettiest. It reminds me of the stop motion trailer the author did.

    I love this post. It's not very often I actually get to see a foreign edition IRL, so it's nice to be able to get a glance at them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually really like the international covers best. (International being not the US ones, haha.)

    I really like the UK version for The Future of Us much better.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)