Monday, 21 November 2011

Guest Post: Why We Shouldn't Go to College/University

Today I have a guest post from the lovely Asher @ Paranormal Indulgence! I actually did a similar post on her blog a few days ago, if you want to check it out. Anyway, enjoy the post! :)

Why We Shouldn't Go to College 

Liz and I are both going to be attending 'uni' (in staying true to Liz's 'Britishness' XP) next year, being that we're both seniors in high school now. I think it's safe to say that we both put an enormous amount of work, time, and effort into our respective blogs and we get little sleep as is as a result. Between school and blogging (which, for me, can sometimes feel like a job) there's little time for other things.
Yup, it seems we're going to
forfeit OUR SLEEP, ladies and males.
We're just so sweet, OBVS.

Then on Twitter, Liz and I began pondering what our lives were going to be like once next year actually happened. And it finally dawned on us that going to school, starting up with a job, AND blogging may very well kill us. I started to panic a tiny bit-->

So after some more fun panicky tweets and Liz's jokes, Liz sparked a *light-bulb* moment in me. And the two of us put our heads together and here we are. Books We Want to Read Without the Interruptions of College/Uni (including related activities beforehand) aka, in much more clever terms, Why We Shouldn't Go to College/University.

***

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Can I start out by pointing out that this cover should be enough TO MAKE ANYONE WANT TO READ IT? It has a bit of a Cinderella theme going on, what with it being about girls brought in en masse to be selected by a Prince as his new beau and future bride. Only difference? This "Cinderella" isn't a poor one and she most certainly isn't in love with might be her intended... at least at first.


The Last Princess by Galaxy Craze

You know something, I'm just as intrigued by the author's name as I am by the cover and synopsis? I mean who names themselves GALAXY CRAZE *looks bewildered*. ANYWAYS, besides the obvious (hello, pretty cover!), I selected this because of the fact that it's DYSTOPIAN. I don't know about all of you, but this year especially, I've recently been blown away by this sub-genre and, frankly, can't get enough.


Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

So I love all things beautifully paranormally amphibian/fishy (especially part-amphibians like mermaids!). I'm getting mermaid vibes from this despite the fact that the blurb seems to be trying to dispel the possibility. A girl who can communicate with fish? Come. On. The only thing that has me slightly worried is this "feeling something strange - is it attraction?" bit. Whenever that happens it has a tendency to be leading to the dreaded instaluv.


Devine Intervention
by Martha Brockenbrough

Add it to Goodreads?

In spite of my unequivocal hatred for the name Jerome - I don't know why, just do - I so want to read this. I'm tired of the deadly, perilous angel business in paranormal books these days. I actually like the idea of a contemporary romance with a slight paranormal element. It sounds charming and funny and sweet. And I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to cry my eyes out. But I've been wrong before.


Lies Beneath
by Anne Greenwood Brown

KILLER MERMAIDS, people. First big plus? It's told in the guy's, Calder, POV and he is a mermaid and he falls for his prey. Kinda like vampires, or Twilight. Whatevs. I can't wait to find out how Calder manages to worm his way out of this deadly situation with his sisters!


Something Strange and Deadly
by Susan Dennard 

ZOMBIES. Another of my favorite paranormal critters. In some time period that's not our own, with pretty, big dresses. It comes off a little like the Iron Fey - girl wanders out of her comfort zone to track down her little brother and meets a handsome boy along the way. Still, this sounds fresh somehow.


The Treachery of Beautiful Things 
by Ruth Frances Long

I love faerie books, and it always surprises me that not many people feel the same. But I love that faeries are tricksters by nature and generally up to no good. This book sounds like the Ultimate Faerie Book. The cover is sinfully gorgeous and the premise has snagged my attention indefinitely.


Innocent Darkness by Suzanne Lazear

Faeries. Steampunkish elements. Blue streaks. And a deadly sacrifice. Equals an auto-buy.

Geez, I can't wait to read this. The cover should have been on my bookshelf yesterday.

Thanks to my sister's
mad skillz!
Asher's "Brief" Bio:

Thank you so much for having me on the blog, Liz! I'd say Liz and I are blogging pals and despite being set what feels like worlds apart (England vs. US of A), we share many of the same reading interests.

On my blog, Paranormal Indulgence, I indulge in YA reading prospects from up and down the genre. I am a disciple of the Cover Art gods (whom I fervently thank religiously for their strokes of genius that happen to grace my eyes) and am a serious advocate for anti-bullying.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Glad to have you, Asher! Thanks for the awesome post! I am actually looking forward to every single one of those books. I think 2012 might be the year I collapse from bookish excitement...

6 comments:

  1. You girls are inspiring a generation of slackers like myself, BE PROUD! <3 But I hate you for these posts, because they both have me drooling like crazy.

    I am dying to read ALL of these. Mermaids are seriously going to make a splash (yes, I'm so original) in 2012! They're everywhere and they sounds so freaking awesome. Plus, the gorgeous covers are a little hard to resist.

    The Selection is so damn pretty, I want that dress! Something Strange and Deadly looks so creepy cool. Is it me or have Harper overloaded on the awesome next year?

    Also: FAERIES! And faeries and steampunk! I am so going to be broke next year. So you're inspiring people to not go to uni, then sending them broke. CLEVER GIRLS. But you both rock. Love these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I am in my fourth year of college for a medical degree meaning that right now I'm taking four upper division health classes, fun, I think not. I also work about 30 hours per week, and I find the time to blog. Do I sleep? Lol sometimes I honestly think that I just fell asleep and already my alarm is going off but I make it work. I have faith that the both of you will make it work as well. If you want something bad enough you will make it happen.

    Oh and great book choices for 2012, can't wait to read many of those. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brodie- You amazing blogger, you! You don't hate us, you love us for exposing you to the pretty. You wnat the pretty.

    I'm so happy! You're cuckoo for covers and faeries! Is there anything you can't do?

    No. You rock.

    Alexa- Thanks for the encouragement! I hope we do as well as you say. It would make things a little easier on my parents, that's for sure. *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! This post is awesome. I love the covers of most of these. They all sound amazing, and I can't wait to get my hands on them.

    Are you going to make this a regular feature, by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you loved it! It's always fun spreading the word about the latest in YA.

    Hm, I don't know. It's something to think about(:

    - Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Real education must ultimately be limited to men who insist on knowing, the rest is mere sheep-herding.
    uk dissertation

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)