Tuesday, 25 October 2011

Two Mini Reviews

Babe in Boyland by Jody Gehrman
Publisher: Dial
Released: February 17th 2011
My Rating: 3.5 starts out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

When high school junior Natalie - or Dr. Aphrodite, as she calls herself when writing the relationship column for her school paper - is accused of knowing nothing about guys and giving girls bad relationship advice, she decides to investigate what guys really think and want. But the guys in her class won't give her straight or serious answers. The only solution? Disguising herself as a guy and spending a week at Underwood Academy, the private all-boy boarding school in town. There she learns a lot about guys and girls in ways she never expected - especially when she falls for her dreamy roommate, Emilio. How can she show him she likes him without blowing her cover? (from Goodreads)

Babe in Boyland was a short, fun read, though you’d have to be willing to look past the rather unrealistic aspects of it to really enjoy it. The characters were all mainly likeable, but felt maybe a little underdeveloped to me.  I enjoyed the plot - which followed much like the movie “She’s the Man” with a few significant differences - though it was a bit hard to believe (but the seriously hilarious moments will probably make you forget about all that). There were a few instances that seemed too convenient, like the fact our main character Natalie’s friend just happened to have an expert hacker cousin to get Natalie registered in the school’s database (and how convenient the school just seemed to accept this unexpected student, who had no means of paying tuition or anything). There were a few of these rather unbelievable situations put in to make certain things possible, but even though they were a bit far-fetched, they were all amusing parts of the story which made Babe in Boyland heart-warming and engaging. I liked Natalie’s realisation about the differences between boys and girls at the end, and there were a few scenes involving Nat and Emilio (and one with the headmaster) that I particularly enjoyed.

The book is just for fun really – funny, sweet and charismatic and I enjoyed reading it.  Overall, Babe in Boyland was a good read, and I would recommend it if you’re looking for something just to take your mind off things, or if you’re looking for a happy and breezy read.

Daimon (Covenant #0.5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Released: May 10th 2011
My Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

For three years, Alexandria has lived among mortals—pretending to be like them and trying to forget the duty she'd been trained to fulfill as a child of a mortal and a demigod. At seventeen, she's pretty much accepted that she's a freak by mortal standards... and that she'll never be prepared for that duty.

According to her mother, that’s a good thing.

But as every descendant of the gods knows, Fate has a way of rearing her ugly head. A horrifying attack forces Alex to flee Miami and try to find her way back to the very place her mother had warned her she should never return—the Covenant. Every step that brings her closer to safety is one more step toward death… because she's being hunted by the very creatures she'd once trained to kill.

The daimons have found her
. (from Goodreads)

Daimon was great introduction to the Covenant series. We’re first introduced to Alex when she’s fourteen and standing before the Council, who are deciding whether she should work in serving others, or whether she should become a Guard or Sentinel, and fight daimons. Alex’s feistiness wins her a chance at being a Guard, but three years later, Alex and her mother have run away from the Covenant (for reasons Alex doesn’t even know) and are now living normal lives, avoiding all things daimon-y. That is until something devastating happens, and Alex has to run away from her normal life if she stands any chance of surviving. I really liked Alex’s character; she was a strong fighter, and one of those “don’t take crap from anyone” types, and I liked reading about her, and how she was different from normal humans (being a half-blood meant she has certain special abilities). After Alex had left home, we got to see her survival instincts kick in, and it was intriguing to see how she coped in such difficult situations. Overall, I really enjoyed Daimon, and it’s definitely got me wanting to read Half-Blood. I’m dying to find out what happens to Alex next!

6 comments:

  1. I read Daimon back in the summer and thought it was a great taste/preview of the Covenant series! And I'm excited because my copy of Half-Blood arrived yesterday so I can just dive right in now :)

    Great reviews, I love when people do mini reviews like this once in a while!

    Brenna from Esther's Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still on the fence about Babe in Boyland. Don't know if I should or should not read it. I've already seen "She's the Man" plenty of times, so I don't know if I want to read it, essentially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I have Babe in Boyland, I'm glad to hear that it was a good, and funny book.
    Half-Blood is pretty good but it does take some ideas right out of Kenyon's Dark Hunter Series for adults.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great mini reviews. I've been curious about Babe in Boyland. Glad to hear it was good. I've heard a lot of good things about Half-Blood series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so so so so so so so (did I mention 'so'?) excited to star the Covenant series! The gushing reviews I've read for Half-Blood are great in number and Daimon sounds like yet another fantastic novel from Jennifer. I figure you can read Half-Blood without Daimon, but I think I'll try read this first if I can.

    And Babe in Boyland does sound like a fun, light-hearted read despite the unbelievability factor. Great reviews, Liz! But damn you for getting more more excited about Jennifer's books :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard so many good things about Half-Blood! I'm excited to read it. And now I know that Daimon acts as a good companion so I'll have to read that one too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)