Friday, 16 September 2011

Review: Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst

Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Released: September 13th 2011
My Rating: 4 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

Pearl is a sixteen-year-old vampire... fond of blood, allergic to sunlight, and mostly evil... until the night a sparkly unicorn stabs her through the heart with his horn. Oops.

Her family thinks she was attacked by a vampire hunter (because, obviously, unicorns don't exist), and they're shocked she survived. They're even more shocked when Pearl discovers she can now withstand the sun. But they quickly find a way to make use of her new talent. The Vampire King of New England has chosen Pearl's family to host his feast. If Pearl enrolls in high school, she can make lots of human friends and lure them to the King's feast -- as the entrees.

The only problem? Pearl's starting to feel the twinges of a conscience. How can she serve up her new friends—especially the cute guy who makes her fangs ache—to be slaughtered? Then again, she's definitely dead if she lets down her family. What's a sunlight-loving vamp to do?
(from Goodreads)

Drink Slay Love was so different to how I expected it to be! I read the synopsis, saw “unicorn” and thought, “Okay, this is going to be some kind of hilarious take on vampires with lots of fluff and laughter.” And that’s kind of what Drink Slay Love was – but it was also so much more. There was a slightly more serious undertone to the novel, yet it fit in perfectly with the hilarity and the other lighter parts of the book– I just loved how everything worked together to make a funny, witty, heart-warming awesome read.

Pearl was my favourite character in the whole book. The thing is, she wasn’t exactly a very nice person – particularly to begin with. But I couldn’t help but like her anyway – first, she was amazingly hilarious, especially when she was just starting to develop a conscience (after being stabbed by a unicorn’s horn) and it was really annoying her. I laughed so much when she couldn’t understand why she was feeling guilty - she thought she was completely above humans, and didn’t get why she was sympathising with her prey! Reading about her time at high school was so funny too, because she attracted attention (good and bad) wherever she went, and it was great to see how different people reacted to her. I really liked her transition from ruthless vampire to slightly less ruthless, slightly more caring vampire – her personality (fortunately) didn’t change all that much, but she became kinder and more compassionate (while retaining her badass attitude, sarcastic wit and coolness she had before), and by the end of the book, she had really grown and had a whole new perspective on the world.

Evan, wow, that guy. He claimed to have a hero complex, and he really did. I half expected him to don a cape and wear his underwear over his jeans! He was the first boy Pearl met from her new high school, and could somehow tell she was under a lot of stress and needed help. He was actually really lovely – very sweet, very, very good-looking and also pretty determined to help Pearl out. He was like the complete opposite to everything Pearl had ever experienced in a guy before – her boyfriend Jadrien was the extreme bad boy type and didn’t seem to care about her as person at all, whereas Evan somehow felt right to be around – he was someone she could trust, despite the fact he wasn’t a vampire or a member of her family. I loved seeing their relationship develop – Evan was there for Pearl when she was in a really horrible situation, and I was definitely rooting for them to be together throughout the entire book.

Bethany, Pearl’s first female human friend, was also another great character – she was so perky and upbeat, but also quite shy and a little insecure – basically completely unlike Pearl in every way. They made a great pair though, and it was great to see Pearl slowly feel more and more attached to Bethany, which was proved when she fought to keep her safe (something she would have never considered doing a mere two weeks earlier). I also really liked Matt and Zeke, two wannabe vampire hunters that almost discovered Pearl’s secret. They were both adorably funny, and made me laugh even in the middle of a tense, dangerous scene.

One of the best parts of the book, however, was of course, the mystery of the unicorn. Why was Pearl stabbed by a unicorn? Where did the supposedly mythical creature even come from? Why did it leave her alive? Pearl didn’t really get any answers until quite near the end of the book, and from then on the chapters were full of suspense, as Pearl decided she had to do something in order to save the people she now cared about. I was on the edge of my seat, and I kept thinking, “Will she? Won’t she? What’s gonna happen next!” I loved how the unicorn part of the story played out – it was great because it sounded so odd and silly, yet made perfect sense! I don’t really know how to explain it, but this part of the book clearly showed how it could be both funny and serious at the same time.

Overall, Drink Slay Love was a fun and entertaining read, that I think would definitely appeal to people who are fed up with the same old vampire books and want something different. Recommended!

10 comments:

  1. awww, this sounds really good!! thanks for the review, i wasn't sure about it before, but now i really want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOH I am excited for this one!!! =D Great review. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man. now I wish I had pre-ordered a copy!! eep. Sounds good as. Ace Review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started this book, but didn't get to finish it! I had read up to the point where Evan was introduce. :) I can't wait to get a copy to finish. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I SO want to read this!! The unicorn part is what hooked me in too and I just love how it combines both hilarity and seriousness into what sounds like an amazing novel. Loving Pearl's character already! Awesome review, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone's loving this one! I started it, but thought it was going to be too weird or comical. I guess I'll have to revisit it! Thanks for the great review, Liz! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I saw it on the galleygrab and thought it sounded ridiculous, but maybe I should give it a go!

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVED this one! Pearl is hilarious and sarcastic and everything I would expect from a vampire. Evan was great too - talk about hero complex. Bethany was so sweet :) I didn't realize just how much Pearl had come to like her until that scene in the forest.

    Great review, Liz! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad to see books breaking through the vampire novel mold - this sounds hilarious, and I can't wait to start it :) Great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved how hilarious this one was too and really liked how Durst added a bit more seriousness as well. Pearl was awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)