Tuesday, 16 August 2011

Top Ten Tuesday #1

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week a new Top Ten list is posted that one of the bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer.

This Top Ten Tuesday topic is a freebie -- use this week to write a top ten list about ANYTHING in literature.

My list: 

Top Ten Books That Caused Strong Emotions to Surface While Reading 

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling - I don't usually cry in books, and this book caused me to bawl like a baby. I could barely see the words properly, and there are actual tear stains on my copy of this book. If that's not strong emotion, then I don't know what it is...

2. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins - I think the fact that I sat on my bed smiling like an idiot for about an hour after I finished reading this implies that some kind of strong emotion surfaced. I bounced around the house like a kid on a sugar high for the rest of the day. I don't even know what I was feeling, all I remember is gushing crazily about how awesome this book was.

3. The Demon's Covenant by Sarah Rees Brennan - I'm not sure quite how to explain this one. There's this certain scene between the characters Nick and Mae that I remember re-reading about four times before finally bringing myself to read on to the next chapter. And after I finished this book, I remember just thinking "that was awesome". Then I read the scene four more times.

4. Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer - what to say about Breaking Dawn...well, it made me feel angry. I literally threw it across the room and left it there for about an hour. Then I forced myself to start reading it again, because I just wanted it to finish. There was more anger. Then shock. Then anger at the shock. Then disgust. Then more anger. Then relief when it was finally over. Then more relief when I donated it to my school library and never had to see it sitting on my bookshelf ever again.

5. The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa - oooh this book was amazing. I just remember feeling so many things while reading it: scared, excited, shocked, happy, sad, ohmyGodwhatthefrigginhelljusthappened, awesomeness (can you feel awesomeness?), love, hate, hilarity - I think every emotion there is, this book made me feel it at least once.

6. Divergent by Veronica Roth - Divergent got me so emotionally attached to the characters, I don't even know how it happened. One minute I was happily reading along, next minute the book was over and I was actually DEVASTATED that I couldn't read more about Tris and Four until next year. I felt kind of incomplete. I NEEDED to read more about them, you know?

7. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens - sorry in advance to anyone who really loves classic. So I had to read this one for school a few years ago, and I can tell you now that what surfaced was extreme boredom. I sat in class, my eyes drooping, head on the desk, book open at the wrong page, listening to the sound of the cars outside. I don't remember a single thing that happened in this book, only that it made me want to sleep. And yet I somehow did a presentation on it without reading a single chapter. 

8. Any book in the Georgia Nicolson series by Louise Rennison - these books never, ever failed to make me laugh like a crazy person. Every one has made me laugh out loud at some point, and I've gotten a fair few strange looks from people who had no idea why I was snorting into a book. Absolutely hilarious, and one of my favourite series :).

9. Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz - I wanted to be a spy. After reading this book, I became obsessed with spies - I researched them on the internet, I told my parents that my lifetime ambition was to join MI6, I watched all the Spy Kids movies back to back. I sort of went spy crazy. I even ordered one of those notepads that comes with with invisible ink that you can only see with ultraviolet light. Then I had a tantrum when it didn't arrive :P.

10. A book with lots of clown pictures in it, the name of which I do not remember - fear. Absolute terror. In case you don't already know, I hate clowns. I really do. They scare me. I took one look at those pictures, dropped the book and ran. 

19 comments:

  1. Lovely list!
    I completely agree with you! Especially about Charles Dickens books! :P
    Check out my TOP 10

    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1, 2, 5, and 10 for me. Although I can't say I've read a book with lots of clowns in it, I CAN say that I hate clowns too! Way too creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with you on ANNA - such a feelgood book!

    I laughed most of the way through Breaking Dawn...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree with Harry Potter, Breaking Dawn, and Divergent...I haven't read the others, but I've heard good things about them! Great TTT "freebie"!

    Check out Sash's Top Ten Guys Who Didn't Get The Girl!
    Also check out our GREAT giveaways!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz... How the heck did you come across that last one? LOL. I mean.... oh no. That's really sad. (Payback for insulting Hufflepuff)

    Yes to all of the ones here that I have read (so all but the last 4). I love the story behind #9!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe nice list. I hate clowns, i'm actually a little phobic. Don't think clowns will be going on my list.

    Amy@adumbrations

    ReplyDelete
  7. A few of these I've read and then a few are on my TBR list. I can't wait to read The Iron Knight in particular. I'm still undecided if I'm Team Ash or Team Puck!

    Also, I’m a new follower— wonderful blog! Stop by my blog and follow me too? :) http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome list. Divergent was awesome, that's for sure, and very thought/emotion provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. GREAT picks!! Anna and the French Kiss sure got my emotions going!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think my fifth Harry Potter book has more tear stains in it than the seventh book does lol. You picked some great reads, several of which I still need to get around to reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore your list and how diverse it is ;) totally agree with BD (bleh!) DH and Divergent!! Great list Liz ;)

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the variety of emotions that you have here. The only book I remember getting really mad at was Walden. I do like it when a book is so effective it makes me react to it out loud, whether I'm laughing or yelling at it.

    Come check out my list for the week at The Scarlet Letter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your reaction to Breaking Dawn. I didn't like it at first either. I'm still somewhat unsatisfied, but I got used to it and learned to appreciate it. Still, when I go back and re-read it, I only look at the portions I like - the wedding and Bella's early vampire days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your reaction to Breaking Dawn is the exact reason it's been sitting on my shelf, unread, for well over a year. I'm scared to read it because so many fans hate it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lol, I loved your reaction to Breaking Dawn. I think it pretty much mirrored mine except mine was more shock/disgust and I borrowed a copy from a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha, great list! I 100% agree with Harry Potter, Anna, Breaking Dawn, and Georgia Nicholson (I seriously need to reread Georgia Nicholson, thanks for reminding me :P). Several of the others are either on my actual shelf or my virtual TBR shelf. Although I'm considering waiting to read Divergent until closer to the release date so I'm not tortured. I reallllllly want to read it though, so I dunno. We'll see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. HEEEEEE!! I felt the EXACT same while reading Anna and the French Kiss. God I <3 that book so flipping much, I'm smiling just thinking about it! And merlin. DH tore me a new one. DOBBY, why you break my heart? Hahaha love your BD thoughts. And your Stormbreak and CLOWN book thoughts. Oh you're too adorable *pinches cheeks* and yes, freaking yes about Divergent! <3 <3 <3 I NEED INSURGENT ALREADY!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hate clowns too... they are HORRIBLE! Ask me sometime about why and I can asure you that it will freak you out as well! :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. "Then more relief when I donated it to my school library and never had to see it sitting on my bookshelf ever again"
    LOL YES.

    And my god!! I wasn't bawling from the 7th HP book (just a minor thing for Fred) but I was full blown bawling after reading the 6th. Dumbledoreeee!

    Anna was an awesome book. I can't wait for Lola :D.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)