Monday, 15 August 2011

Review: Lottie Biggs is (Not) Tragic by Hayley Long

Lottie Biggs is (Not) Tragic (Lottie Biggs #3) by Hayley Long
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Books
Released: August 5th 2011
My Rating: 4 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads
See my reviews for the previous books here and here.

Just when things were starting to look up for Lottie her life's gone a bit pear-shaped, wonk-ways and downside up again. Her mum's all soppy over a bloke with a horrible shemo daughter, her best pal Goose has disappeared in a cloud of nerd-gas and Lottie's in the midst of an existential crisis. There's only one thing to do - get the hell out of Cardiff and go on the road with the gorgeous Gareth Stingecombe (and his manly thighs). But things don't go to plan, and Lottie starts to realise she might have been a bit me me me lately...a female emo, obviously The wit of Louise Rennison meets the depth of Jacqueline Wilson. (from Goodreads)

Lottie Biggs is (Not) Tragic is a brilliant conclusion to a fantastic series. Lottie is just as witty and random as ever - in this one, she has to deal with her mum and her new boyfriend, Stevie Wonder (note: not the singing sensation), it’s almost Christmas and she has no money for presents, and to top it all off, thanks to an Elvis impersonator and the great philosopher RenĂ© Descartes, the only thing about her whole life that Lottie knows for sure is that she exists. And that’s starting to make her feel pretty lonely.

Some of the best things about the Lottie Biggs series are the little doodles and drawings scattered throughout the book. There were a lot of cool and funny ones in this book, and I felt that, as well as really helping me understand more about Lottie and what was going on in her head, they also really made me laugh, and I don’t think the book would have been the same without sketches of Winnie the chinchilla, and pie charts of Welsh surnames!  

Lottie herself was even wackier than usual in this book – she overreacted to a lot of things, which produced some comical results, and of course, every detail of her hectic life was recorded on her computer (NOT a diary). I really liked it when Lottie was introduced to philosophy – her rambling and somewhat frantic thoughts on some of life’s most debated issues were absolutely hilarious, and I loved how Lottie thought of herself as some kind of philosopher now she was familiar with the works of Descartes!  :P

Gareth, Lottie’s boyfriend and possessor of colossal manly things, was so cute in this book – every time he tried to tell Lottie how he felt about her, he ended up coming out with some crazy things like “I love YouTube” and “I love Ewan McGregor”.  Lottie thought he was an oddball, but I thought it was adorable, and his strange comments made me laugh a fair few times.

Goose was another source of hilarity – she had recently developed a huge crush on her co-worker, Tim, who was a lot nerdier and a lot shier than she was. Lottie found Goose’s new interest in Tim Overlup to be hilarious, mostly because Tim was so different to Goose, and also because his name backwards was “Pure Vomit”. Goose’s attempts to impress Tim were so funny, and I felt a bit sorry for her because poor Tim was so oblivious!

Possibly one of the funniest parts of the book, however, was when Michel, Lottie’s sister’s French boyfriend, was talking about Britain, and kept referring to Lottie and her friends as English, and they kept shouting back, “We’re not English, we’re WELSH!” I cracked up, because Michel just sat there puzzled and couldn’t understand why they were upset!

Overall, Lottie Biggs is (Not) Tragic was a fun, uplifting read, and a great end to the series. Highly recommended!

13 comments:

  1. Why haven't I heard of this series before! it sounds like so much fun though sometimes super-wacky narrators get on my nerves :P Great review, definitely looks like a series that would make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'm with Audrey up there. Where have I been because I haven't heard of this series?

    It sounds like so much fun.
    And, I think I'd be just as puzzled as Michel. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed this one! =D I hadn't heard of this series until now but it sounds great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one looks so fun, I've never seen this series before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got this but haven't read the others, it sounds so cute and funny though!!

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  6. How have I never heard of this series?! It sounds so fun and cute! Awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of this but it sounds like fun! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really will have to get hold of this series. I wouldn't mind something Rennison-like, but with a bit more depth!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL I can see why you like this series, just reading your review made me laugh! Love all the little oddities about this. These sound like such fun books, the kind of read I'm craving at the moment! Awesome review, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I haven't heard of this series but it sounds so fun. I'm going to add the books to my wishlist and save them for periods of stress *cough* exam time *cough*.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this series and I love that the third one seems to be as hilarious and brilliant as the first two! :D Cant wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm reading this now and really enjoying it. I loved reading your review. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww, I do love Lottie Biggs and I can't wait to get to this one. I think it's next on my pile :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)