Friday, 26 August 2011

Review: Eve by Anna Carey

Eve (The Eve Trilogy #1) by Anna Carey
Publisher: HarperTeen
Released: October 4th 2011
My Rating: 3.5 stars out of 5
Find it on Goodreads

The year is 2032, sixteen years after a deadly virus—and the vaccine intended to protect against it—wiped out most of the earth’s population. The night before eighteen-year-old Eve’s graduation from her all-girls school she discovers what really happens to new graduates, and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust...and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.
 (from Goodreads)

As a huge fan of dystopian novels, I was really excited to read Eve. Set in a future where a plague has reduced the population to a fraction of what it was before, Eve lives in a very different world to our own. Boys and girls are segregated and girls are taught that men are violent, monstrous creatures that should be avoided at all cost. Eve has always been a perfect student at her all-girls school, where everyone is told that once they graduate, they will be sent away to learn a new trade. Eve has never doubted the word of her teachers, and like all the other girls, looks forward to graduating. However, the night before graduation, Eve discovers a horrible truth, and now knows for certain that everything she has been told is a lie. Forced to leave her friends behind, Eve escapes School, looking for a place to hide. Along the way, she begins to realise that maybe boys aren’t so bad, and starts to fall for Caleb, the one who saved her. But soon Eve finds out she’s in even more danger than she thought, and suddenly being with Caleb seems impossible - because Eve is wanted by the King, and he will stop at nothing to take her for his own.

Eve certainly had an interesting premise, and I was definitely intrigued by the world Anna Carey had created. The girls’ views on so many issues, including their opinion on boys, were so odd and warped that you could really tell it was like they had been brainwashed – they never interacted with men and were deathly afraid of them. They were also kept in the dark about so many things, for example, they were never taught how to swim in order to keep them away from the lake leading the Graduates’ building. Even the way they spoke meant that didn’t understand basic slang and couldn’t really converse with anyone that had not attended a School like theirs. The Graduates, who were promised learning a new trade, were in fact being used to breed, and were forced to have as many children as possible. It was all so terrible the way they were being lied to, and it definitely got me interested in why girls would be treated in such a way in this strange new society.

While I liked most characters in this book, I did have a problem with Eve herself. She was not very likeable in my opinion, and for somebody who was praised as being highly intelligent, she sure did a lot of things without thinking. She whined a lot to start, and didn’t really think about others unless she too was involved in their situation. She made a lot of stupid decisions which cost people their lives, and then didn’t really learn from her mistakes.  I really struggled to connect to her character and I just couldn’t see why so many other people thought she was such an amazing person. She did do nice things sometimes; I really enjoyed the scenes where she taught a group of young boys at the hideout she was staying in to read and write. She really cared for those boys, which improved my opinion of her, and I also began to like her a bit more when she cared for Arden, the girl she was on the run with, when she was sick. However, her stupid decisions outweighed her thoughtful ones, in my opinion, and I just couldn’t relate to her as much as I’d wanted to. I did find she got better right at the end, however, so I’m looking forward to reading about her in the next book.

My favourite character in the novel was Arden. She was the first girl to realise just exactly what was happening to the Graduates who left School, and it was because of her that Eve ran away in the first place. Without Arden, Eve probably would have died, and I liked how fierce and strong she could be. She did a lot for Eve, even though they hadn’t always been friends, and I thought she was just a genuinely good and loyal person. Caleb was another character I liked; he was funny and cute and understood how difficult it was to be on the run, hiding from danger. While I didn’t really understand his relationship with Eve or why he would give up so much for her, he really did seem to care about her and tried to do everything he could to keep her away from the King.

The character that intrigued me most was probably Leif - I could never work him out. He did some horrible things, but then also suffered from his horrible past, so I don’t know whether he regretted what he’d done, or whether he really was just not a nice person. I’d be interested to see what he does next in the sequel.

There wasn’t too much action in Eve, but enough to keep the book well-paced and engaging. The ending set the stage for the next book, and while I had a few issues, overall, Eve was enjoyable, and I’ll definitely be reading book two in the series. 

15 comments:

  1. I've been reading a lot of very similar opinions about this book and it seems like most people just think that it's OK.

    I'm still quite keen to read this one for myself.

    Great review as always! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I need action in a book. Hmm, I have it waiting for me, so I need to read it, we'll see :)

    Oh, regarding your comment: I'm going to be giving away a set of the Prophecy of the Sisters trilogy during my blogoversary. Stop by then ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds pretty interesting. I've seen the cover around quite a bit but I didn't really know much about the story before now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I heard about this one a while back, I was really intrigued but then I just kinda forgot about it. I'm a big fan of action and I don't know if Eve will satisfy in that area...It seems alright, nothing to get worked up about so I might just try borrowing it instead of buying it. Great review Liz <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meh. I really wanted Eve, but now my interest has kind of been waning... especially after reading your review (which is honest and fab, btw). Eve just doesn't sound like my type of girl, with the whole words without actions (saying she's intelligent but you don't really see it), whining, etc. Arden does though. And Caleb. ;)

    The perspective in Eve DOES sound intriguing, so I still might try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ack! It's never good for me when the main character is not likable! Glad you enjoyed this despite that! I've got this to read soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was super excited about this when I first heard of it, but over the months there's been a few mixed reviews. I still want to check it out, although Eve herself does sound like she may possibly grate on my nerves a little. You have me intrigued to meet Arden and Leif though! Despite that it didn't WOW you, I'm glad it was still enjoyable. Great review, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This isn't the first review I've read that wasn't crazy about Eve the character. From your description, I don't really think I'd like her too much either. Not sure if I'll read this one anytime soon, but great review regardless! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The premise sounds interesting, and I love the fact that the vaccine intended to protect against a virus actually helped kill people, but Eve's character sounds like a problem. Still, I might have to try this sometime. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmmm I was looking forward to this one, but it's too bad that it's just "okay". I'll still be reading it, but I'm glad I'll be going in with a bit more realistic expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i was looking forward to this book but i think i'm gonna wait and borrow it from the library. thanks for the review. :)

    -michelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have Eve but I hadn't realized until I started seeing reviews that it's dystopian. I'm kind of on the fence with this one. I'll probably read it but it's a little further down in the pile.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love the sound of this book! Its a shame you didnt find it amazing but if its enjoyable then thats enough for me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love the concept for this one. I've read in many reviews now that Eve was TSTL, which is a shame. I will probably skip this one as I don't think I can make the time for it even though I like the concept.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)