Friday, 24 June 2011

It's Friday! & Two Mini Reviews: Part 1

It's Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friiiiday...


Ahem. It's finally the weekend, so I thought I'd do a little post to let you know what's been going on this week (that I personally have found quite interesting).

First of all - the tickets for the Olympics 2012 went on sale. It's been manic; everyone's been desperate to get tickets, no-one is entirely sure whether their application was really processed or not, people have signed up for "handball" despite not knowing what it is...all in all, it's been chaos over here. Did anyone manage to score any tickets? Which events?

Second, the secret of Pottermore was revealed! Pottermore is a "unique online reading experience" in which you can go through the Harry Potter books and discover some new important information while actually seeing and experiencing Harry's world. I think it sounds really cool, and can't wait until October to sign up! For more info, go here.

Thirdly, I officially signed up for UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service). Which means I'm actually going to have to start applying for universities soon! The thought scares me. I don't think I'm ready for university...

And last of all...Andy Murray is still in Wimbledon! I'm sure the whole of Britain is celebrating the fact that we actually still have someone playing at this point :P. I don't think he's gonna win (he's playing right now, so let's see how far he gets), but I'm supporting him all the same. Not really a big follower of tennis, but still, good luck to him. He's way better than Tim Henman ever was anyway :D.

Now for some reviews...

The Boyfriend List (Ruby Oliver #1) by E. Lockart
Publisher: Corgi
Released: May 4th 2006
My Rating: 4 stars out of 5

Ruby Oliver is 15 and has a shrink. She knows it's unusual, but give her a break—she's had a rough 10 days. In the past 10 days she: 

* lost her boyfriend (#13 on the list)
* lost her best friend (Kim)
* lost all her other friends (Nora, Cricket)
* did something suspicious with a boy (#10)
* did something advanced with a boy (#15)
* had an argument with a boy (#14)
* drank her first beer (someone handed it to her)
* got caught by her mom (ag!)
* had a panic attack (scary)
* lost a lacrosse game (she's the goalie)
* failed a math test (she'll make it up)
* hurt Meghan's feelings (even though they aren't really friends)
* became a social outcast (no one to sit with at lunch)
* and had graffiti written about her in the girls' bathroom (who knows what was in the boys'!?!).

But don't worry—Ruby lives to tell the tale. And make more lists.
(from Goodreads)

Ruby Oliver is my new best friend.  Apart from the awesome fact she’s one of the only main characters ever to have worn glasses (besides Harry Potter), she was also one of the funniest characters I have ever read about! She was so hilarious, everything from her lists to her footnotes (which really cracked me up).  She seemed like such a nice person, and you couldn’t help but like her despite some of the stupid things she had done. I felt like I could relate to her a lot (I was jealous of her zebra print glasses – mine are so boring in comparison!). I felt so bad for her because everyone was treating her so unfairly for breaking the rules in The Boy Book – but Kim broke the rules too! Even if she was all nice about it, it still counts in my opinion. She was a total hypocrite. It was unfair how everybody took Kim’s side and I really sympathised with Ruby; everyone blamed her for what happened, but Jackson was at fault too. Still, Ruby tried to fix mess that was her life, and her therapy sessions with Dr Z were very interesting, I think – E. Lockhart made them feel very real and believable and with each one, Ruby learnt a little bit more about herself, and you could see the progress she was making, one small step at a time. All in all, The Boyfriend List was a very funny and very enjoyable book and has some of the best characters I’ve ever seen in YA lit.


The Boy Book (Ruby Oliver #2) by E. Lockhart 
Publisher: Corgi
Released:  June 7th 2007
My Rating: 4 stars out of 5

Here is how things stand at the beginning of newly-licensed driver Ruby Oliver's junior year at Tate Prep:

* Kim: Not speaking. But far away in Tokyo.
* Cricket: Not speaking.
* Nora: Speaking—sort of. Chatted a couple times this summer when * they bumped into each other outside of school—once shopping in the U District, and once in the Elliot Bay Bookstore. But she hadn't called Ruby, or anything.
* Noel: Didn't care what anyone thinks.
* Meghan: Didn't have any other friends.
* Dr. Z: Speaking.
* And Jackson. The big one. Not speaking.

But, by Winter Break, a new job, an unlikely but satisfying friend combo, additional entries to The Boy Book and many difficult decisions help Ruby to see that there is, indeed, life outside the Tate Universe.
(from Goodreads)

The Boy Book was an excellent continuation of The Boyfriend List; Ruby Oliver was back, zebra print glasses and all. In this one, Ruby was slowly trying to repair her reputation – it’s never easy shedding the labels of “leper” and “slut”, no matter whether they really apply to you or not, which Ruby knew better than anyone else. She was beginning to make friends with Nora again, and with Meghan and Noel, things started to seem almost normal. Until Nora admitted she liked Noel, and Ruby’s life was in turmoil again. Ruby told herself she didn’t care whether Nora liked Noel. And she didn’t. Right? Of course, nothing was ever easy in Ruby Oliver’s life, which is why I enjoyed this book so much. Like its predecessor, it was funny and very readable. The Boy Book had more Noel in it, which I loved, and I liked seeing the rebuild of Nora and Ruby’s friendship. Overall, it was a great addition to the series – now on to the Treasure Map of Boys!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for Pottermore! I got my e-mail address through last night (finally!) and I can't wait until October. You'll do great in university :)

    I haven't really heard much about these books! They sound cute though :) I'll have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm glad you're liking the ruby oliver books!! in my opinion the last two are the best!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this post <3

    and i agree absolutely ~ very funny and fantastic YA characters :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Glad your going to uni, its the best experience! :D I miss it so much!
    I really want to read these books! Glad you liked em!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa... the Olympics came around fast! Next year already. Seems like Beijing was only last year. Time is moving way too fast! Curious what your Brits will have in store for us, but I hope you know the Aussies are totally going to kick your asses in the medal tally! :P

    SO excited for Pottermore! *squee* And Good luck with your uni applications, eeek!

    Love the mini reviews, these books sound awesome! They sound like such fun reads, thanks for putting them on my radar!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)