Monday, 4 April 2011

Three Mini Reviews

Personal Demons (Personal Demons #1) by Lisa Desrochers
Publisher: Tor Teen
Released: September 14th
My Rating: 4 stars out of 5

Frannie Cavanaugh is a good Catholic girl with a bit of a wicked streak. She has spent years keeping everyone at a distance—-even her closest friends—-and it seems as if her senior year is going to be more of the same . . . until Luc Cain enrolls in her class. No one knows where he came from, but Frannie can’t seem to stay away from him.

What she doesn’t know is that Luc is on a mission. He’s been sent from Hell itself to claim Frannie’s soul. It should be easy—-all he has to do is get her to sin, and Luc is as tempting as they come. Frannie doesn’t stand a chance. But he has to work fast, because if the infernals are after her, the celestials can’t be far behind. And sure enough, it’s not long before the angel Gabriel shows up, willing to do anything to keep Luc from getting what he came for. It isn’t long before they find themselves fighting for more than just Frannie’s soul.

But if Luc fails, there will be Hell to pay . . . for all of them.
(from Goodreads)

Personal Demons was definitely an enjoyable book; I loved the two POVs, and I have to say, Luc’s was the most interesting. Due to his age, he just had a lot more to say, and in a very funny way too, and his chapters were my favourite. I liked Frannie’s too, but I didn’t connect with her as a character as much as I did with Luc – her constant dithering between Luc and Gabriel annoyed me a little bit (though I appreciate the difficulty of her situation), and I couldn’t really understand why she loved both of them anyway (and vice versa). I liked the romance in the book (scenes between Luc and Frannie were awesome), I just didn’t really get it if I’m honest. But that was the only real downside for me; the action was top-notch (there was just the right amount), the whole “good vs bad” thing was explored in a very intriguing way that I really liked, and the humour had me laughing out loud - one of the best parts for me was Frannie’s parents’ reaction to meeting Luc, and his thoughts on it. I cracked up. I can only imagine the looks on their faces! Overall, Personal Demons was a great book, and I can’t wait to read Original Sin!

(And okay, I just HAVE to say it. The cover. What the hell. They look about thirty, and they're just so...not at all how I imagined the characters to be. I don't like it at all...)

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Publisher: Dutton
Released: December 2nd 2010
My Rating: ∞ out of 5

Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris—until she meets Étienne St. Claire: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.

As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near-misses end with the French kiss Anna—and readers—have long awaited?
(from Goodreads)

I have no words. Just buy the book. Look, just trust me. You must have seen all the positive reviews out there. I know books that are this hyped up are usually disappointing. This one is not. Anna and the French Kiss is amazing. Awesome. Superb. Excellent. Magnifique. Merveilleux. Splendide. The characters! By George, the characters. Guy with British accent (the accent doesn’t mean much to me seeing as I’m British. Yet Étienne St. Clair is now at the top of my Fictional Boys list. The TOP. Of THE LIST. I hope you know what this means. And he speaks French. So. Cool. And. Sexy. Plus, he’s short. Short guys do not usually appeal to me. Perkins made him awesome despite this. More attractive than any tall guy I have read about. She must have magical powers, because I have no idea how she invented such a great character. Plus, the way he and Anna were together...wow. I loved every single scene they shared. Every single one). Girl with cool hair. Moves to Paris. Makes new friends. Hilarity ensues. Drama and angsty stuff. More hilarity. Cuteness. Sadness. More angst and frustration. Making out. Confusion. Awesomness. And PARIS. I have never been, but I want to go so badly now. Okay, end of gushing. Just read it.

(Now THIS cover is cool. Eiffel Tower, green grass, sexy boy's hand...what's not to like?)

Afterlife (Evernight #4) by Claudia Gray
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Released: March 3rd 2011
My Rating: 4 stars out of 5

*spoilers for first three books*
When Bianca chooses death over becoming a vampire, she doesn’t realise that another life lies in store…

The fourth and final novel in the internationally best-selling EVERNIGHT series – a vampire romance with a shocking twist.

Bianca and Lucas have always believed they could endure anything to be together. When a twist of fate not only transforms Bianca into a wraith but also turns Lucas into a vampire – the very creature he spent his life hunting – they are left reeling.

Haunted by his powerful need to kill, Lucas can turn to only one place for help… Evernight Academy. But with the vampire leader of Evernight waging war on the wraiths, Bianca’s former home has become the most dangerous place she could be, despite the new powers her ghostly transformation has given her.

A battle between wraiths and vampires looms, and Bianca and Lucas face a terrifying new reality. Is their love strong enough to survive after life?
(from Goodreads)

Afterlife was a thrilling conclusion to the Evernight series. Lucas as a vampire...didn’t go so well. As you can imagine. He was suffering so much throughout this book, but he tried so hard to get through it, so he could be with Bianca. It was sweet, yet tragic at the same time. He used to be such a strong character before his transformation, but I think we get to see the more vulnerable side of him in Afterlife. Bianca, as a wraith, was also having a hard time. Trying to control her new powers, trying to understand her whole new existence...nothing was the same. She couldn’t eat or drink like she used to. Her new body felt things differently than before. Pain was different. She had to adapt to a completely new life (or death). She was suffering too. I felt like they both just deserved to have some peace and quiet for a while. But of course, that would be too easy - they both still had to discover why Mrs Bethany was trying to attract wraiths to the school. There are some astonishing revelations here, let me tell you. You might be able to guess some of it, but other things will come as a shock. There are some moments in the book that are a bit boring, that I felt like skipping over, but they’re far and few between and it is very much worth persisting with it. The ending was sort of bittersweet in my opinion, but I think it was very fitting, and I’m glad Gray wrote it that way. Overall, it was a great conclusion to the series, and I’m very happy with it.

(I've never really loved the covers to this series, but this one's okay. Purple is my favourite colour, so points there. And the washed out face correlates with the whole Bianca-being-a-wraith thing I guess).

6 comments:

  1. Woot, reviews! Three of them!

    I have to say, I'm definitely the most excited for Anna and the French Kiss out of all of these. It's on my TBR list and I've yet to see a review that hasn't *gushed* over it. Great reviews! I especially enjoyed your cover comments :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I love the infinity out of 5 rating

    ReplyDelete
  3. EEEEE!! <3 your mini-review of Anna and the French Kiss. I love this book SO SO SO much. You're making me want to go reread it now *dreamy sigh*. I get giggly when I think of Etienne. Hehehe. Man, I don't know how Lola and the Boy Next Door will live up to the awesomeness of this, but it's Stephanie Perkins... she is going to blow.our.minds!

    Sadly I couldn't get into Personal Demons. Toward the ending I really began go get into the action and everything, but overall it didn't live up the hype for me :( Totally not reading your Afterlife review, sorry! I haven't read the other books yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Received AATFK in the mail today! Can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna and the French Kiss is so close to absolute perfection, I love that book. Loved seeing your review of Personal Demons. It's a book that I've been seeing for awhile and I keep meaning to get hold of a copy, but that cover really puts me off. No, just no.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna and the french kiss is so amazing! I loved it too pieces!
    And I agree I adore the cover too!
    I actaully have a review of it on my blog (:

    Perhaps if you have time, would you mind stopping by my blog?
    Thanks!
    http://lovelylilbookworm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)