Thursday, 14 April 2011

Epic Fail

So I just attempted to make brownies from scratch. Not a good idea. I used too much flour, completely overcooked them and they've turned out as some disgusting blocks of square cake. I'm so annoyed. I mean, I could have EATEN that chocolate I used. Now it's been wasted in some gross brownie/cake fail. What a waste of time and money...

Speaking of epic fails, here's a book I really want to read:

Epic Fail by Claire LaZebnik
August 2nd 2011

At Coral Tree Prep in Los Angeles, who your parents are can make or break you. Case in point:

• As the son of Hollywood royalty, Derek Edwards is pretty much prince of the school—not that he deigns to acknowledge many of his loyal subjects.

• As the daughter of the new principal, new-girl-on-campus Elise Benton isn’t exactly on everyone’s must-sit-next-to-at-lunch list.

When Elise’s beautiful sister catches the eye of the prince’s best friend, Elise gets to spend a lot of time with Derek, making her the envy of every girl. Except she refuses to fall for any of his rare smiles and instead warms up to his enemy, the surprisingly charming social outcast Webster Grant. But in this hilarious tale of fitting in and flirting, not all snubs are undeserved, not all celebrity brats are bratty, and pride and prejudice can get in the way of true love for only so long. Fans of Susane Colasanti (When It Happens), Polly Shulman (Enthusiasm), and, of course, Jane Austen will love finding out if Elise’s love life will be an epic win or an epic fail.
 (from Goodreads)

Hopefully this book will read better than my horrific brownie/cakes taste.


Ode to gooeyness: 

Gooey centre of my brownies
You have solidified
My knife cuts through you like a cake
Oh why did you have to be so crumbly?
Chocolate wasted
And when I tasted your spongey middle
Well, frankly
It was gross.

7 comments:

  1. Better luck next time with the baking. I am convinced that you have to fail, fail, fail before baking becomes good.

    I've made some real disasters, it's all good practice :)

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this book a few weeks ago and it was a cute YA contemporary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL awww, sucks that your brownies were a fail! Second time lucky? Make sure you send some over to me, purely for research purposes, if you make another batch :D

    I haven't read Epic Fail but I'm definitely interested!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Epic Fail sounds like an awesome book :) sorry about the brownies though, it's always super disappointing when that happens. Next time you'll get it...or you'll just eat the chocolate, either way, you win! :D

    Thanks for commenting on my review of The Gathering, I'm sorry that you were disappointed with it, I can see what you mean though, I didn't think that by the end of The Gathering, the characters were as developed as the one's in The Summoning. But I still think I connected with them, definitely some more than others, hopefully after the next book you'll feel a little more compelled. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Jules: Haha, thanks :P. Hopefully next time they'll turn out better!

    @ Alexa: Cool! I look forward to reading it then :).

    @ Brodie: Ha sure! I'll send them via Floo Network ;). And it sounds like a great summery read!


    @ Ambur: Thanks! I'll probably just eat the chocolate next time...:P. And I'm definitely reading the next book - the ending of The Gathering was enough to persuade me. Maybe after having more time to get to know characters I'll connect with them better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww! Don't worry, I'm convinced you can do it next time ;) If not, you're always welcome to join the club of the cooking challenged. Haha, my sister always bakes me things (younger sister ;D). The book looks good as well! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ^ Ha, I think I might have to join that club! Do we get badges? :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)