Friday, 11 March 2011

Scorpia Rising Info & Trailers

Anthony Horowitz is the British author of the Alex Rider series, which chronicles the life of Alex Rider, reluctant teenage spy. The ninth and final book in the series, Scorpia Rising, will be released in the UK on March 30th 2011.

Scorpia Rising (Alex Rider #9) by Anthony Horowitz
Release date UK: March 31st 2011
Read the first chapter here.

Scorpia has dogged Alex Rider for most of his life. They killed his parents, they did their best to con Alex into turning traitor, and they just keep coming back with more power. Now the world's most dangerous terrorist organization is playing with fire in the world's most combustible land: the Middle East. No one knows Scorpia like Alex. And no one knows how best to get to Alex like Scorpia. Until now.

The chases have never been more intense, the fights more treacherous, or the risks so perilous to mankind. And this time, Alex won't get away.
(from Goodreads)

As you may know, I'm a huge fan of the Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz, and I'm so excited for the release of Scorpia Rising (got my copy pre-ordered and everything), which is the ninth and final book in the series. I can't wait to see how it ends for Alex, and while I wasn't overly impressed with the eighth book, I'm sure this will be a great conclusion to the series. Here's all the info we know so far:

(from Wikipedia) It was revealed by Anthony Horowitz at the Hong Kong Book Fair that the British museum would be the first location for the book. He also revealed the tenth book, Yassen, will not directly involve Alex Rider, but talk about how Yassen became an assassin. He also mentioned that Alex would do something very bad intentionally in Scorpia Rising, which will be released on the 31st of March in the UK. Horowitz has written this in his blog:
SCORPIA RISING starts in the British Museum in London. Then it moves to a place called the Siwa Oasis in Egypt, in the middle of the Sahara desert, where we meet Khalid Aziz Al-Kazim who is without doubt the nastiest villain I’ve ever created. He worked for Saddam Hussein when he was fourteen. He graduated to Al Qaeda. Now he’s in business for himself. There are actually three villains in this book. One of them is what you might call an old friend – brought back by popular demand. The other is a teacher at an international school in Cairo which is where Alex is sent after an assassin in London tries to…but I mustn’t give too much away.
From Egypt we go to the River Seine in Paris where our old friends, Scorpia, are having a high-level meeting. Then we’re in Gibraltar. And finally – in Chapter 7 – we catch up with Alex in England. He’s fifteen in this book and you’ll see almost at once that everything has changed, particularly his relationship with Jack.
SCORPIA RISING has a very twisty plot with a lot of surprises, not all of them pleasant. A few more things… You will come across the Smithers’s last gadget and learn something about Smithers that you never knew before. You will see Alan Blunt in a completely new light. One character who has been in all eight previous books will die. The ending is fairly shocking. And when you get to the end you will be in no doubt at all that this is THE LAST ALEX RIDER BOOK EVER. (Well, I’m still going to write about Yassen and I do have one surprise up my sleeve, several years down the line – but this is the last in the series.) I’m really pleased with the way it’s turned out. I think it’s the best of the lot – perhaps the best book I’ve ever written.
So, in order to get everyone excited for the release, Walker Books have started to release movie-style trailers for Scorpia Rising. The first two can be seen below, and the third and final trailer will be released in two weeks time.

Trailer #1


Trailer #2


Also, Alex Rider Insider are giving people the chance to win some Scorpia Rising temporary tattoos, as well as a cool t-shirt. To enter, watch the second trailer and email alexriderinsider(at)gmail(dot)com with the time the clock is counting down to. The closing date is Friday 18th March! This is an official Walker competition, so make sure you read the Terms & Conditions if you're going to enter.

So that's all from me! I hope you'll check out the AR series if you haven't heard of it - I mean, who doesn't want to read about a teenage spy? :P. As for those who are waiting for the last book like me, maybe these trailers will help make the wait seem a little less long!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the info and the trailers! I am so excited/sad for the final book. I have pre-ordered my copy too.
    Sally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the series but my sister is a big fan. Thanks for all the info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm SO looking forward to this one. I'm such a huge Alex Rider fan!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)