Wednesday, 30 March 2011

Review: Raising Demons by Rachel Hawkins

Raising Demons (Hex Hall #2) by Rachel Hawkins
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Books
Released: 3rd March 2011
My Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5

(summary and review contain major spoilers for Hex Hall)

Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?
(from Goodreads)

This will be a short(ish) review because I’m still in shock. Raising Demons...wow. I loved it, I did. I preferred Hex Hall if I’m a hundred percent honest, because there was more Archer and I liked the school setting. But Raising Demons was AWESOME. First, Sophie went to England. I live in England. Immediate awesomesness. Second, we got to see more of Cal. I actually didn’t remember who Cal was when I first started reading, but as I got into the book, I actually started to really like him. He didn’t play the whole want-her-but-can’t-have-her side of the love triangle, and he knew a lot more about certain things than I’d originally thought. He seemed quite sweet and caring as well, but not in that sappy, drippy, “thou art lovelier than seven hundred roses in the summer breeze!” way. That being said, he can’t even compare to Archer. Oh, Archer, Archer, Archer. I wish there was more of him in this book. I knew I liked him from the beginning of Hex Hall, and even though we found out he was a huge, lying traitor, I still can’t help but like him. Plus...his Eye tattoo is sort of cool. Because it’s just a reminder of how Sophie’s a demon, and how he’s a demon hunter and how the two being together is a doomed relationship, yet they can’t stay away from each other despite it all. I understood Sophie completely in this matter, and when they admitted that they wanted to be together...I just wanted to squeal with all my fangirly joy! There was this one scene when I wished I could just jump into the book and hug them both.

If we get right down to the plot, I sort of suspected one of the characters, and turned out to be right, but I did not guess the ending. At all. The cliffhanger...it’s huge. If you don’t like waiting for books, I recommend leaving this on you TBR pile until next year. Because the whopping big cliffhanger will make you wish you had the next book. But of course... you can’t have it for a long time yet (and you will mentally cry when you realise this).

Characterwise, Sophie was my favourite (well, apart from Archer). Her sarcastic comments really made this book for me. She just cracked me up. I know some people don’t like sarcastic characters, but trust me; Sophie had just the right balance of sarcasm and hilarity. I loved her whole personality actually; the way she was trying to build her relationship with her dad, her views on Archer and Cal, the way she interacted with Jenna and the new characters Daisy and Nick...she’s probably one of my favourite female characters in YA. We also got to learn a lot more about Sophie’s powers in this book – her control improved a lot with help from her father, and she also learnt a lot more about the history of demons, which I thought was interesting as well.

But the ending. I have to go back to it. Okay, I did, at the very end, start to think something strange was going on when name-I-will-not-mention-due-to-huge-spoilers said to Sophie that she and her father preferred the company of the enemy. And I guessed what this was about. But the end! I didn’t expect that! It was much huger than I’d first thought. Just...wow.

I realise this review is a bit all over the place. But once you read the book, you will understand. I need the next one. Now.

3 comments:

  1. Wasn't Cal the gardener in the first book? I have this one on my shelf but it'll have to wait a bit. I have review books to get through first. I really want to read it NOW though lol. Great review and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw man, you have me both simultaenously drooling with need to have this book in my hands and wanting to run as far away from it as I can until book 3 is ready to be in my hands. Great review! I loved Hex Hall so I can't wait to see the awesomeness that Rachel brings forth in this. And I'm curious about Cal now :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished this one and it was soooooo good! OMG what an ending! Can't wait to read the next book, how are we supposed to be able to wait a year??

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)