Friday, 25 March 2011

Review: Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

Angelfire (Angelfire #1) by Courtney Allison Moulton
Publisher: HarperCollins/Katherine Tegen Books
Released: February 15th 2011
My Rating: 4.5 starts out of 5

When seventeen-year-old Ellie starts seeing reapers - monstrous creatures who devour humans and send their souls to Hell - she finds herself on the front lines of a supernatural war between archangels and the Fallen and faced with the possible destruction of her soul.

A mysterious boy named Will reveals she is the reincarnation of an ancient warrior, the only one capable of wielding swords of angelfire to fight the reapers, and he is an immortal sworn to protect her in battle. Now that Ellie's powers have been awakened, a powerful reaper called Bastian has come forward to challenge her. He has employed a fierce assassin to eliminate her - an assassin who has already killed her once.

While balancing her dwindling social life and reaper-hunting duties, she and Will discover Bastian is searching for a dormant creature believed to be a true soul reaper. Bastian plans to use this weapon to ignite the End of Days and to destroy Ellie's soul, ending her rebirth cycle forever. Now, she must face an army of Bastian's most frightening reapers, prevent the soul reaper from consuming her soul, and uncover the secrets of her past lives - including truths that may be too frightening to remember.
(from Goodreads)

Ellie is just your average teenage girl, living an average teenage life. But on her seventeenth birthday, Ellie finds out she is far from average – she’s the Preliator. With her newly awakened powers, and under the protection of the bodyguard she doesn’t remember, Ellie must harness her new abilities in order to fight off the demonic reapers and save humanity from a war that could destroy the world.

Angelfire was AWESOME. I adored it. I’d wanted to read it ever since I accidentally stumbled across it on Goodreads months ago, and I can tell you, it’s been worth the wait. Ellie was such a great heroine; to be honest, I didn’t really like her that much to begin with - I found her a bit annoying. But as she took on her role as Preliator, and showed us how strong and determined she was, I started to connect with her more, and by the end, I was definitely a fan. There was no, “Oh dear! I have injured my delicate finger and am unable to move! Save me, man I met not two hours ago!” in this book. Ellie was a fighter, and didn’t rely on others all the time to get her out of a mess. She was also quite hilarious, and made me laugh out loud a fair few times. I loved her interactions with Will (<3); they could be so funny together, but the moment there was hint of danger, they stepped into fighting mode and worked together to defeat the bad guys.

And speaking of Will...wow. He had the whole brooding bad-boy tortured soul thing down to a tee (examples: awesome tattoos, cool sword, general badassery).  He came across as bit creepy to begin with (no wonder Ellie freaked out – I like the fact that instead of just following after the pretty boy she’d just met, she told him where to go), but after finding out who he was, he grew to become one of my favourite characters. His sole purpose was to protect Ellie, and he literally did everything in his power to make sure he would carry out this duty. I loved hearing the stories he would tell about all of Ellie’s past lives, and it made me so sad that she couldn’t remember all the time they spent together. The most heartbreaking bit though was this little scene at the end where Will and Ellie both discover something huge...I am so excited for the next book now it’s unbelievable.

Another character I liked, despite him working for the other side, was Cadan. He was very, very interesting. He had all the villainous qualities you’d expect from your typical bad-guy, but there were certain things about him, and certain things he did that have not yet been explained that made me question what his real motives were. The obvious hatred between Cadan and Will as well has also made me think there’s something else going on with him. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see!

There were certain aspects of the plot I found slightly predictable (I won’t spoil it for you), but the twist at the end made up for it, I think.  The only part of the book that got on my nerves slightly was Ellie’s stupid dad. He was, for lack of a better word, a total idiot. I didn’t understand what his problem was, and I wanted Ellie to stand up to him instead of just accepting his crap. But I guessed the reason why she couldn’t is because she remembered a time when he was loving, and cared for her. I just hope that in the next book we get to see Ellie either tell her dad where to get off or see them resolve their issues (what are the issues anyway? I really would love to find out what made her dad such a loser).

Overall, Angelfire was an amazing book with an intriguing premise. I can’t wait for Wings of the Wicked, the next book in the series, and I’d recommend this to people who liked the Soul Screamers series by Rachel Vincent, or The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller. 

4 comments:

  1. Sadly I didnt like the book. I wanted to so badly but i just wasnt for me. I tried on so many ocassions to finish it but i couldnt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have yet to read this one. Great review though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I REALLY NEED TO READ THIS BOOK.

    You and Amy (readingteen.net) have made me want to get my hands on this so badly. I'm still waiting on it from my library but it really sounds like my kind of book.

    Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. I've had this on my wish list for a while now I really need to get round to reading it.

    I'm a new follower, I always love when I find a new UK based book blog that looks great.

    Jules

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)