Friday, 4 February 2011

Three Mini Reviews

Major Crush by Jennifer Echols
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Released: August 1st 2006
My Rating: 4 stars out of 5

Tired of the beauty-pageant circuit, Virginia Sauter tosses her tiara, pierces her nose, and auditions for the most unlikely of roles — drum major of the high school marching band.

Virginia wins, but is forced to share the title with Drew, whose family has held the position for generations. Sure, Drew is hot, but because of his superior attitude, he and Virginia are constantly arguing. That is, until they share more than just their half-time salute...

But as the drum major's heated competition turns to sizzling romance, explosive rumors threaten everything — including the band's success. Love seemed to be a sure hit, but Virginia and Drew may be marching straight into disaster.
(from Goodreads)

Major Crush is a very light-hearted comedy, and a perfect feel good read. Virginia was a very strong female lead, which I absolutely loved, and she wasn’t afraid to do what she wanted. There was definitely chemistry between Drew and Virginia from the beginning; they would argue a lot but you could practically cut the tension with a knife :P. I really liked Drew as well as he was actually quite a developed character, and not just some boring sappy love interest with good looks and no personality. He actually had some substance to him and I thought he was a really great match for Virginia – their personalities were both similar yet different enough for both to be separate, individual characters. Another character I loved was Mr Rush – best of the lot. He was absolutely hilarious; I was literally laughing out loud a couple of times, and his weird personality, combined with his suggestive humour and odd phrasing was just amazing. He really made the book for me. Overall, Major Cush was a nice quick read that I would recommend for anyone wanting to cheer themself up or who just wants something cute and romantic.

Only the Good Spy Young by Ally Carter
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH
Released: June 29th 2010
My Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5

When Cammie Morgan enrolled at the Gallagher Academy, she knew she was preparing for the dangerous life of a spy. What she didn’t know was that the serious, real-life danger would start during her junior year of high school. But that’s exactly what happened two months ago when Cammie faced off against an ancient terrorist organization dead set on kidnapping her.

Now the danger follows her everywhere, and even Cammie “The Chameleon” can’t hide. When a terrifying encounter in London reveals that one of her most-trusted allies is actually a rogue double-agent, Cammie no longer knows if she can trust her classmates, her teachers—or even her own heart.

In this fourth installment of the New York Times best-selling series, the Gallagher Girls must hack, spy, steal, and lie their way to the truth.as they go searching for answers, recognizing that the key to Cammie’s future may lie deep in the past.
(from Goodreads)

OTGSP was absolutely brilliant. I’ve loved the Gallagher Girls series from the beginning but this was probably one of my favourites so far. Ally Carter has definitely upped the ante; things are a bit darker in this book, and the problems can’t all easily be solved and wrapped up quickly and neatly. Zach – oh dear me. Possibly one of my favourite male characters of all time? I adore him. He’s such a mystery; he can be sweet and caring, and sometimes when he’s with Cammie you just can’t help but feel like they really ought to hurry up and get together. But other times he can be cold and professional as if he were never nice to begin with. I just didn’t know what to make of him, all I knew was that I felt just as confused as Cammie. And then you find out some truly shocking things...there were so many “OMG” moments in this book that both answered questions and yet made me want to ask even more. Finding out a bit more about Zach was definitely one of the most interesting parts; and even after everything, I still love him. Cammie’s friends are also really great characters; very loyal, very funny and always willing to put themselves in undesirable situations to help out. I absolutely cannot wait for the next book – I’m hoping we’ll get to the bottom of everything sometime soon, because the suspense is killing me :P.


Drive Me Crazy by Erin Downing 
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Released: June 2nd 2009
My Rating: 3.5 stars out of 5

Kate's tote is packed, and she's ready for a road trip!

Kate and her two best friends, Sierra and Alexis, are geared up for a week of fun and freedom on the road to their family lake houses in Love, Wisconsin. Best of all, when Kate reaches Love, she'll be reunited with Lucas, with whom she shared a steamy end-of-summer kiss last year. She can't wait to see Lucas again and pick things up exactly where they left off.

Then Kate gets some seriously bad news: Alexis's sarcastic, condescending, hot-but-he-knows-it cousin is crashing the girls' road trip. Adam bugs Kate in every possible way. Now Kate just wants to get the road trip over with so she can spend the summer in Lucas's arms. But the road to Love is full of surprises...
(from Goodreads)

Drive Me Crazy is another of the Simon Romantic Comedies, and while not as good as Major Crush in my opinion, it was still a great read, packed with fun and humour perfect for raising your spirits. I read it in the midst of winter, but I think it’s more of a summer read as it’s about a road trip (road trip!) and has a very summery feel to it. Kate is off to Love (said Loave) for the holidays with her two best friends Alexis and Sierra, where her dream guy Lucas will be – but unfortunately is stuck with Alexis’s annoying cousin Adam. Kate despises him – he’s an arrogant, sarcastic, good-for-nothing excuse for a human being. Or is he? As you can guess, it’s a love-hate relationship (think Shut Up & Kiss Me by Orianthi) and over the course of the book we get to see sides of Adam Kate never realised even existed. I actually really liked Adam from the beginning; he was really funny, and always up for anything. I didn’t really understand why Kate hated him so much, but I liked seeing her start to realise maybe he wasn’t as bad as she thought. She had to struggle with her confusing feelings for him, whilst dealing with her friend’s problems as well. One thing I liked about Kate was how loyal she was to her friends, and she stuck by them no matter what. She wasn’t very good at taking advice though. Point one: Lucas. Ahh Lucas. What can I say? Well. I nicknamed him Mucus, but I’ll let you make your own judgements on him ;). Overall, Drive Me Crazy was a lovely quick read; not too serious, but very heart-warming and perfect for those warm summer days.

4 comments:

  1. i love jennifer echols books!! i also love the simon romantic comedies, they are so cute!! thanks for the great reviews!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only Romantic Comedies books I've read have been the Jennifer Echols ones as I am SUCH a fan of hers. So I'm really glad to read that you enjoyed it.

    I have the first and the third books in the Gallagher Girls series, so looking forward to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful mini reviews! I really want to read the romantic comedies - they sound like my kind of books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Major Crush. But the best Jennifer Echols' Romantic Comedy is definitely the combo of The Boys Next Door and Endless Summer.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)