Monday, 27 September 2010

Some Ramblings

So I'm sure everyone has heard about banned books and censoring; the topic has been circulating the blogosphere over the past few weeks. I recently read an article about it, and it was talking about the difference between the UK and the US. It was really interesting and I have to say I didn't realise that so much censoring was going on. It doesn't happen as much in the UK apparently; for example, I only just found out that Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson was on the "banned book list" - I had no idea before last week, because I've seen this book in every library I've ever been to. Anyway, I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on the topic - what are your feelings towards censoring?

For anyone who wants to read the article I mentioned, click here.

In other news, I'm sooo tired. I've been up late every night for the past couple weeks doing homework - who knew school could be so demanding! And it's freezing. Absolutely freezing. It honestly feels like December, any UK-er can vouch for me. I've been wearing so many layers every day to try and keep warm. And another thing - Christmas decorations have already started to appear in a few shops, as well as all the Christmas stock. It's not even October yet! I went into Topshop the other day and they were playing a Christmas song. I was thinking, "What is going on here?"

TV-wise, I am seeing Jedward everywhere. It's not even funny. And I really don't like what they've done with XFactor this year; raising the age limit means there are now no good singers in the over 28s category! Plus they let two boys I never even heard sing go through to judges' houses, and then put the actual decent ones together to form a group? What? Anyone else thinking this show has gone downhill? I'm much preferring Merlin at the moment.

So that's what's been going on with me! Feel free to let me know how you're doing in the comments. And if anyone wants to explain the main themes and concepts of The Merchant of Venice and Dr Faustus, please do! Otherwise I have this ominous feeling I'll be relying on SparkNotes this year...

4 comments:

  1. Totally agree, it's freezing over here at the moment. And also, Merlin VS XFactor? Merlin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merlin! I'm with you there. And it is cold :( I keep wearing thick jumpers everywhere. I don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I wore a jacket to ever single class I had. I dread to think of what winter will be like...

    And yay, fellow Merlin fans! What do you think of Morgana? She's so evil!

    ReplyDelete
  4. with you with the cold - they don't turn the heating on at work until 9am on monday mornings so we sit and freeze all morning!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)