Wednesday, 22 September 2010

Review: The Mosts by Melissa Senate *some spoilers*

The Mosts by Melissa Senate
Publisher: Delacorte Books
Released: June 8th 2010
My Rating: 3 stars out of 5

Madeline finished freshman year at Freeport Academy just as invisible as when she started. But after a summer in Italy with her sophisticated aunt, she returned as a sophomore with cool clothes, European attitude, and a hot new boyfriend, Thom.

Maddie's part of the in crowd . . . the Mosts. Her best friend, Caro? Most Beautiful. Her other friends, Fergie, Annie, and Selena? Most Stylish, Most Hilarious, and Most Hot, respectively. And Madeline? Most Popular. Her life is great.

While it lasted.

Now Thom's moved to California-so Maddie's no longer the girlfriend of a popular guy. The guy Caro likes only has eyes for Madeline-can you say social suicide? And a group of misfits at school are begging Madeline to help make them over.

Madeline knows there's a fine line between being a Most . . . and being a Not. She doesn't want her status to change . . . but what if she doesn't have a choice? (from Goodreads)

Madeline is a Most. Most Popular to be exact, and her best friend is Caro, the girl who's voted Most Beautiful ever year without fail. However, before her freshamn year, Madeline was a nobody. Invisible. It was a trip to Rome that transformed her, and her rise in the social hierachy was mostly due to her popular boyfriend, Thom. But now Thom is moving to California and Madeline has a reputation to keep. Not only that, but people from the "Not" list are actually offering to pay her to help them become more normal. Madeline could do with the money; plane tickets to California aren't cheap after all. And she's desperate to get away from her friends - the weirdness between her and Caro is getting worse and worse, and Sam isn't helping either. Why does he keep staring at her...and why doesn't she mind?

The Mosts was a meh book for me. I didn't really like it, but I didn't hate it either, and it had some good qualities that made it readable. I liked the concept, the idea of having a "Most" list and a "Not" list, and I liked the way that Madeline stopped really caring about who was on which list by the end, which showed some character growth. I also liked the "Not" interns; Joe and Elinor were my favourite characters because although they were over-eager and desperate to be noticed, they were sweet and kind of endearing too and I felt so bad for the way they were treated at the beginning. I'm glad they managed to feel more confident and at peace with themselves by the end, and I also liked the fact that Sabrina, Madeline's sister, refused to change herself for anyone, and felt comfortable in her own skin, even though she made the "Not" list every year.

I also quite liked Madeline's mum and Mac; they seemed like they knew what was going to happen but they wanted Madeline to experience it for herself and learn from her mistakes, so they didn't ever tell her what to do, they just let her figure it out for herself. There was also a Harry Potter reference (a calf named Hermione) which, as a huge HP fan, I appreciated very much. I actually liked the fact that Madeline lived on a farm, and I thought it was funny the way she complained about it yet also found it hard to imagine leaving her family and living somewhere else.

There was, however, a whole bunch of stuff I didn't like. For example, the rest of the characters. Madeline was shallow, but more so than a usual teenager, and she was too obsessed with popularity, I just couldn't relate to her at all. I understand she was meant to be this way to start off, but by the end she hadn't really changed that much. And her relationships were totally unbelieveable. Thom, who seemed like a nice guy to begin with, spent about half an hour explaining to Madeline that they were not breaking up, and that the long distance thing would work for them etc etc. He left with tears in his eyes. A week later, they're both over each other! I found this so unrealistic, Thom got over Madeline so quickly, after telling her he loved her too. If they supposedly loved each other, would they really give up on their relationship in less than three weeks? After being together for two years? There was no love, I really wish it hadn't been mentioned because I just felt like their relationship was ridiculous. If they were just boyfriend/girlfriend no mention of "love", I could have accepted it. But love. That damn word. They had to say it. I know long distance doesn't usually work out, but come on. Thom seemed to get over it in a matter of days, and I felt like the fact that he got a "new" girlfriend so quickly as well was just to make him seem like the bad guy to justify the fact that Madeline wanted to be with Sam.

And Sam, dear me. Didn't like him. First of all, what was his problem? His best friend anounces he's moving and suddenly it's okay to stare longingly at his girlfriend? No! At least wait until the guy has moved already, seriously. Madeline gets all this stick for breaking the "girl code", but Sam totally breaks the "guy code" by going after his best friend's ex, and he gets off scot-free. He's supposedly a "nice" guy too. I know this because Madeline described him as nice so many times I was starting to refer to him as that in my head. And we never found out why he was nice, or how he was nice, we were just told that he was. Plus, I don't even get why Sam and Madeline liked each other, except he was "nice" and they were both hot. What else? Their relationship was based purely on those two things. They barely even knew each other (they didn't seem to talk about much). Which is why I once more thought it was ridiculous when "love" was mentioned again. Really. Had Madeline learnt nothing? Because I'm pretty sure that if Sam had announced he was leaving for California, the same thing would happen all over again and they'd both get over each other quickly. Because really, why was Sam so different to Thom? He wasn't. So saying they loved each other wasn't something special because Madeline said it to Thom too. And look what happened.

I haven't even started on the other characters yet. Caro, Fergie, Annie - all horrible people. Avery, acted like she hated the Mosts, but really just wanted to be one and wanted to rule the school. She was commended for "standing up" to them (she didn't really in my opinion), and then she got the popularity she always wanted. Okay then.

I'm going to stop because I think I've said enough. It does seem like there's more I disliked than liked so you're probably wondering why I still gave a three. The reason is because The Mosts was an okay book, it kept me occupied and I didn't want to put it down thought the characters sometimes annoyed me, so I'd still say it's worth reading. Maybe you'll have better luck with it than me. Read it if you liked Mean Girls (but who doesn't love this movie :P) or Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen.

4 comments:

  1. Aw, this actually sounded sort of interesting. But thanks for the warning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that was a bit of a rant :) I don't care for double standards in books either and if Madeleine gets stick for breaking the code then so should Sam. Thanks for the heads-up about this one, might give it a miss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your review of this book. I think it sounds light and a good mix-it-up book for me :)

    Oh, and I'm a new follower, by the way! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally forgot about this book. Maybe I'll give it a try considering I do like Mean Girls a lot, but thanks for the honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)