Tuesday, 3 August 2010

Review: The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa *some spoilers*

The Iron Daughter (book #2 in the Iron Fey series) by Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Released: August 1st 2010
My Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5

Summary: Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron Fey, iron-bound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her. Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's alone in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart. (taken from Goodreads)

Let me start off by saying that if you liked The Iron King, then you'll love The Iron Daughter.

(Spoiler warning: slight spoilers ahead, do not read if you don't want anything spoiled.)
The books starts with Meghan in the Winter Court. Ash is ignoring her, though he has backed up her story about the Iron fey, and Meghan feels cold, isolated and alone. When tragedy strikes and the Scepter of the Seasons is stolen, Queen Mab declares war on the Summer Court, and Meghan, with the help of the very person she's been trying not to think about (coughAshcough), has to break free of the Winter Queen's clutches in order to survive. With the return our favourite cat, Grimalkin, another unlikely ally and her best friend Puck, Meghan must find the scepter and return it before Summer and Winter destory each other and Nevernever forever. However, things aren't as easy as they seem. Ash is now considered a traitor, and the whole of Faery are after him. Not only that, but the Iron Fey now serve a new king, and Meghan realises that the war between the courts is the least of her worries.

What can I say? I loved The Iron Daughter. I think Meghan has grown up quite a bit since the first book, though I knocked off half a star because there are times when she's annoyingly needy. That being said, I like Meghan as our main character, and I felt that I could understand her choices and actions. The balance between action and romance was just perfect for me in this book, with little pinches of humour here and there (Grimalkin, gotta be my favourite character). As a Team Ash-er, I have to say I thought the reappearance of Puck and the absence of our Ice Prince would be the worst part of this book, but I was wrong. Puck, as much as it pains me to admit, is a great character; funny, laid-back and just what Meghan needs after all she's been through (I'm still Team Ash though, and I was happy when he came back). I also enjoyed reading about Meghan and her newfound ability, and I liked learing about the divide between the Iron Fey. I have a theory about why Meghan has this new ability, but I can't say why because it's too spoilery (even for me :P). So if anyone wants to discuss ater they've read the book, feel free to get back to me! And the ending, wow. Wow wow wow. Hats off to Julie Kagawa. She knows how to suck you in and then leave you hanging. I wish The Iron Queen weren't so far away!

All in all, read this book if you enjoyed The Iron King. And if you haven't read The Iron King yet, what are you waiting for?

2 comments:

  1. I've only skimmed your review, because I have The Iron King waiting for me to read on my Kindle. But it sounds like an interesting series..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great! I hope you enjoy The Iron King :).

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)